lets talk watches

poopie boy

what'd be the best Automatic watch under $500

something with black leather strap

I'd look at either Used, or check out new ones like something from Hamilton, or Sekio, both good for under 500.

i know, i know, low end... the SCVS013 has been discussed a few times here, i'd like one but i'm on the fence as to whether it's a bit too dressy for every day wear. the design is classic, but i wear jeans & t-shirts 99% of the time.

sscvs013a.jpg

i'm looking at this as an entry-level watch and have pretty skinny wrists. haven't worn one for years but i'm getting sick of using my cell. i'm looking at a few others but just wanted specific opinions on this. thanks.

best watch under $250. not looking to get a used one.

i know.. low cash but i'm looking to get a new one for Christmas

recommendations?

thanks

probably the seiko skx031 with a nato strap. At least, that's what I want.

Swiss watches are great for every day. Inexpensive, run great, mechanical, precise, tough, extremely cheap and easy to get serviced.

I think Victorinox looks better and has a better style range, but if you're not wearing a full suit every day and polished captoes, I vouch for em. Dress up/down, tons of deals online.

Swiss watches? That's an awfully large category that must include hundreds, if not thousands of watchmakers. Including Rolex, Panerai, etc. So saying all swiss watches are "extremely cheap" would be a bit misleading.

It's been said time and time again throughout this thread, If you want an inexpensive watch, go with an automatic Seiko. The skx031 is a solid buy and I've also been a fan of the military style, snk809. The Japanese movements in either of those Seiko options have proven solid and both look real nice.

i know, i know, low end... the SCVS013 has been discussed a few times here, i'd like one but i'm on the fence as to whether it's a bit too dressy for every day wear. the design is classic, but i wear jeans & t-shirts 99% of the time.

sscvs013a.jpg

i'm looking at this as an entry-level watch and have pretty skinny wrists. haven't worn one for years but i'm getting sick of using my cell. i'm looking at a few others but just wanted specific opinions on this. thanks.

It's a simple and elegant design, it can be worn with pretty much anything. Too many people are going for diving/pilot abominations.

Swiss watches? That's an awfully large category that must include hundreds, if not thousands of watchmakers. Including Rolex, Panerai, etc. So saying all swiss watches are "extremely cheap" would be a bit misleading.

It's been said time and time again throughout this thread, If you want an inexpensive watch, go with an automatic Seiko. The skx031 is a solid buy and I've also been a fan of the military style, snk809. The Japanese movements in either of those Seiko options have proven solid and both look real nice.

I'll add my daily banger to the list, if you like Sinns.

Seiko SRP025K, I have mine on a Nato.

PICT0001-58.jpg

i agree with you fuuma, i have a craving for a dress watch now. im a big fan of JLC so maybe i would buy one of these:

Before purchasing my new watch (JLC posted earlier) I also looked at Vacheron Constantin and Blancpain, those three are my fav companies, although I also like the more rugged Hamiltons and some Omegas. VC offers many sizes for similar dress watches so it is definitely something to look at. I don't collect watches so I am quite careful in my purchases because I don't want to own more than 2-3, I hate switching often.

My 2cents: dress watches look better without date, make them even simpler. This one also has a lot of metal connecting with the glass (or maybe it is the picture, aside from that it looks like a steel+date version of mine) and you might quickly tire of that.

yeah, that's not what i was sayin... all i'm sayin is if you're gonna own one watch, it shouldn't be a dress watch. dress watches look worse with jeans and a tee than a casual watch does with a suit.

The Seiko he posted seems quite versatile, no?

i hear what you are saying fuuma. i always loved the ultra thin (without date) and when worn you dont even know its on the wrist it is so light.

all the watch houses have their own version and to be honest if i had the money i wouldnt mind something from any of them!

relativity: im not buying a watch just yet, the pic was shown as an example.