Show us your leather

aleopold

I just popped the spring out of one, stretched it out a bit, and put it back in.  That increased the tension, but only slightly.  It wasn't too hard to do, so I imagine getting a stronger/longer spring in there should be doable and more effective if I can find the right one.

It would be great if you could figure something out. I've resorted to using a LeatherworksMN one for the time being, but I really like the compactness of yours!

I did a little mod this morning, I took the spring out and fitted a custom elastomer (when I say custom elastomer I mean I cut up a nurf gun bullet ^_^ ) into the spring (I made the elastomer about 2mm longer than the spring) and it seems to be a bit stiffer now. One thing I did notice is that the spring is quite tight to remove so to get a replacement to fit may be a bit of trial and error, IE rather than try to get a uprated spring it would probably make more sense to get a longer one.

I hope that made some sense! I'm in a bit of a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend got me a new wallet from Tanner Goods.  A fresh start after having the same wallet for over 12 years, that had bloated with unused items George Costanza style.

1488138_721415507871726_847934775_n.jpg

Already showing a little bit of rubbed off indigo.  My favorite Xmas gift.

S.F.K. Tea Core Vegetable Tanned Leather Camera Strap

tgur.jpg

2014 SFK Tea core Vegetable tanned leather Camera Strap.

Made by thick, firming, high-density leather.

The length can be adjusted, and it is easy disassemble.

All the metals, rivet and ouch are made of brass.

0gjm.jpg

6h0k.jpg

kx8w.jpg

f9os.jpg

4eh7.jpg

X-post from Obbi Good Label's thread

I can understand that many still do not understand the properties of vegetable-tanned leathers. They are often surprised by the darkening from pure creamy white, natural state.

Here is another good one for you – A used 9981 Olive Messenger Bag as compare to the new one.
p1075344.jpg

p1075349.jpg
Yes, the darkening of the natural leather is ‘severe’. I applied Huberd’s oil twice in my 4 months of usage. I hope I have captured the softness of the leather correctly. You can click on the pics and enlarge them.

p1075350.jpg

p1075353.jpg
The back is stain by the raw denim I wear most of the time. The ‘flesh’ of the leather has smoothen out without the hairy initial feel. Leather strap is soften to flexible and real easy on shoulder.

Using it daily to work, commuting in motorcycle, the bag went through some heavy downpour, tropical humid sunlight with heavy storage of files, EDC, sunglasses, MP3 …etc. The duck canvas faded faster than I expected. with horizontal fading vividly showing up.

p1075355.jpg

Had a second go at making a phone holster - with much better results.

03lt5P7.jpg

vda9bQG.jpg

JvNPtjV.jpg

ktKxUep.jpg

Stitching is a little messy on the right side - I had to sew loosely and tighten all at once otherwise the needle wouldn't have fit.

17oz of Triple C Harness from Dontmournorganize

PvpSFVZ.png

On top of my Japan Blue X Momotaro - Going to Battle 0200SP (approximately 11 months ago)

wgMz11z.jpg?1

Now...

oxUMR6z.jpg

5XVIt9R.jpg

wMQqb9z.jpg

Edited by LsaShawn

Someone knows how can remove the carbon stains on the leather?

Think it's about time I treat it a little.

Been handling it too rough and hard all this while.

It's a clever video, but dude needs to learn some humility.

Saddleback makes workhorse products that are just fine, but are by no means craft or luxury items.  They should be proud of the place that they occupy in the market (which is: good for the price, and durable), because it's an important one.

But he's flattering himself if he thinks that Saddleback is the standard of quality to which real makers are aspiring.  It's still just scarred Mexican TR hides.  There are as many steps above in quality as there are below, but he doesn't take the time to point those out. 

If you want real quality, look at Frank Clegg or JW Hulme.

I don't think that video had anything to do with trying to be the king of all things leather, I'm no sure he would ever want to compete with the makers you mentioned, I think this is just his attempt at justifying the cost of a saddleback bag versus a cheapy POS!....And not to mention that he recently took on a student film maker to make the video's for his website;-)