Show us your leather

aleopold

Thanks again. I happened to have quite a lot of idle time in camp recently. Since there is nothing much to do there I passed the time doodling designs on my sketchbook. This was one of the designs that was developed during that time. So I guess it helped that I had a lot of time to think about it and make refinements.

Nice! Looks like horsehide?

Its cowhide for most, the accents are horsehide.

Hey Nic how are your jeans coping with the brooks saddle? I was wondering if I should swap out mine for a leather one. I just have the usual plastic/rubber saddle and its pretty ripped up from denim abrasion.

On a side note, your bracelet got to me just fine =)

Fits perfect btw. Thanks for the help!

IMG_2378.jpg

is mink oil is no bueno for leather jacket conditioner? also, are shoe cream on leather jackets/ saddle soap fine on jackets?

A limited edition belt from that other forum :P

It's the baker belt from Charlie at equus leather:

pb280218.jpg

4.9 mm thick bridle butt leather in russet, from Baker's tannery, UK.

pb280194.jpg

Very impressed by how well made it is...

pb280178.jpg

The edges left raw; the density is mind-blowing:

pb280187.jpg

More on my blog.

hey mike, thought this might interest u, kamida-san finished my 'nume' cordovan wallet today and shipped it.

might be able to post pics at the end of this week, fingers crossed.

turned out he made the entire wallet out of cordovan, so, i'm pretty curious to see the result.

Nice kop b_F, mustang paste works a charm!

The mark-up at dc4 is a bit ridiculous though, almost $70 for what is essentially 100 mL of distilled horse oil.

For an accessible source of horse oil, I can recommend Seiwa's horse oil product.

Nice kop b_F, mustang paste works a charm!

The mark-up at dc4 is a bit ridiculous though, almost $70 for what is essentially 100 mL of distilled horse oil.

For an accessible source of horse oil, I can recommend Seiwa's horse oil product.

to my knowledge DC4 is the only shop outside Asia carrying mustang paste. considering the shipping costs i would have paid if ordering from japan the difference is not that much anymore.

and i don't know at which price Daniel buys the mustang paste. on top of that price he has to add shipping costs, 19% VAT, extra customs for oil products and of course a mark-up.

I agree it is expensive. 60$ (not 70$) after todays currency exchange rate at Dc4 compared to Japanese retail of 37,50$ (without shipping)

Yeah, trying to sell a product which incurs a high premium in the Japanese domestic market is hard enough, now export it to Europe and the cost probably does need to explode a little.

Though, $60 for 100 mL of animal fat is pretty darn huge - for the same price I could get my hands on 20 litres of emu oil :P

Seiwa's horse oil is a bit more reasonable at $18 for 100 mL, though it is not in paste form, but liquid fat (oil) and this makes it slightly trickier to play around with but the results are just as good if used correctly.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a well thought out and executed mixture/formula, but as a simple animal oil we really shouldn't be paying that much.

Another cheaper, but very effective, option is cod oil. Whilst much cheaper, it is used by many tanneries and curriers around the world. (I would suggest mixing it with a plant oil/essence to hide the marine smell though...haha)

A good quality neatsfoot would do nicely too - have been told that cold-distilled is the way to go - and I don't see most leathers needing much more than this. Emphasis on good quality though - it should be smooth & clean, and smell very neutral just like horse oil.

Edited by mikecch

hehe..yes you are really the leather expert on every topic :) if I had your knowledge and your contacts I would have a broader range of products to choose from and prolly would use more different products and would know what's the best for what leather.

for now I'm very happy and like the mustang paste a lot better than my Red Wing boot oil which i used so far on all my leather products.

but as always, thanks for your inout!