Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

the skull wallet is great, im really happy with mine aswell dick....i think the stitching design on the medallion wallet (which i have) really makes it stand out from a lot of the other japanese wallets.

normally, i would go for the understated option and get something very plain...i was considering a few red moon wallets, but i didnt like the internal zip, and basically wanted something that had at least 6 credit card slots without being prohibitively bulky.

definitely get the natural leather ken....no other option in my opinion.

i say yay too for skull and natural leather.

not only do they look cool they are really useful. :cool:

Hey guys. I just picked up this Kc's from Garden on rakuten. Im pretty happy with it but as you can see it seems like one side is slightly tanned and the other is'nt. What should I do about this. Leave it or try to compensate by only tanning or oiling the one side.Thanks alot. also some extra pics for anyone interested

jean004-2.jpg

jean005-2.jpg

jean006-2.jpg

jean007-1.jpg

I touched a black FH wallet today and it was the hotness, but I needed a belt more than I needed a wallet.

I touched your hand today and it was magical meeting The Dick Danger.

Can someone give me an walkthrough on what to do with natural leather? You suppose to sun tan for 3 days? As in leave it in the sun? And then oil for about 20 min or so?

When you get it, be careful not to get it dirty, make sure your hands are dry and free from dirt. Tan it in the sun for however long it takes for a nice colour to develop, don't worry so much about over-tanning, just get it to a nice caramel colour, It'll help with the indigo stains. Once its equally tanned on both sides (if its a wallet) take some oil to it. I use mink oil, apply a very small amount using an old t-shirt of cloth. Leave it for about 9 hours or over night and then wipe the excess oil off after.

After that its good to go, if you use the leather item everyday, especially if its a wallet, then it won't need to be oiled again, as the natural oils coming form your hands is enough to keep it from drying out. If the item is a belt, then just starting using it, you may choose to oil it though if it feels dry.

Haha, Cameland thanks for all the info. To be more specific, I recently purchased a Samurai belt, which from the pictures look un-oiled/un-tanned. And also an Flat Head wallet, which is slightly different from the Self Edge edition, it as well looks un-tanned/un-oiled, so I'm worried, as where I am, were in a rainy season. And, I don't really know of an ideal place to sun-tan where wallet won't get jacked. Does it just have to be under sunshine? As in, leave it in my room, where sun will get on it? Or it has to be outside? I baught something called Neet's foot oil or something, haha.

As for the belt, I'll just oil it, let it suck the oil for overnight, and then wipe off excess oil and use? No sun-tan involved uh?

Out of curiousity, what would happen if I didn't oil or sun-tan?

Does it just have to be under sunshine?

I had this same problem, since i got my KC's wallet in the middle of winter. You don't have to leave it outside in the direct sun. You can leave it on your window sill indoors, or if your out working, leave it on the dashboard of your car.

As for the belt, I'll just oil it, let it suck the oil for overnight, and then wipe off excess oil and use? No sun-tan involved uh?

I think thats okay, although I don't think you really need to oil at all if your not sun tanning, you are oiling after tanning because the sun tends to dry the leather out a bit.

Out of curiousity, what would happen if I didn't oil or sun-tan?

As far as i know, the tanning process is good for the leather, the tanning part is a very important step in stopping staining from your jeans, just like how a tnTN red moon wallet would be less prone to staining. Personally, the darker colour is more appealing to me, the sdSD unstained colour looks a bit too much like actual skin imo. Also, after you have tanned and oiled your wallet, don't go out and tan it again, apprently it makes the leather go an ugly brown colour.

Maybe others can offer you some better advice, I'm not a leather expert, this is just from what I've read/experienced myself.

sidneylo Far out that is some crazy detail pics of the FH. I think this is the only other wallet that i have so far thought about getting over the skull mid. I think i will still go the skull, its more my style. Thanks for sharing those pics the wallet is coming along beautifully.

Edmond Both of your belts are looking great. I am a big fan of the tanner belts personally, i will pick one up before the end of the year. I haven't seen many other belts which particularly impress me due to most having unsuitable belt buckles. I dont really like the samurai style bukcles though they do look nice. Well if you have any recommendations im all ears. Though your skull does look tempting.

Corter Keep up the fantastic leatherwork and keep up the pics. Im loving watching you get better and better as the weeks roll by.

Just received it, I feel like not tanning it... but we'll see. It feels like it's been oiled already, it feels buttery... same with the Samurai belt, but freaking size 30 doesn't fit me!!! ah! Freaking lots of trouble to get it too... anyways I'll see what's up!

By the way, is tanning it only for the looks and the well ageing process? Not for anything related to leather care? Because, if oiling is the thing that keeps the leather lasting longer, and tanning is only to make the ageing process look good, I think I will just oil it and just use it. Is that the case with the tanning?

Really appreciate the help cameland.