Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

nice belt! i bought some neatsfoot oil from my shoe repair guy. it was only $5 so no big sacrifice. after what you guys are saying i'm not sure that i want to apply any now. i've already done 2 very light coats of lexol conditioner. should i just leave it alone and not bother with the neatsfoot? is there any weird interaction that could happen if i applied the neatsfoot to something that's been lightly treated with conditioner?

In my experience I just wear a belt everyday and that's it. It all takes care of itself. Below is my new belt next to my old belt (worn for 6 months). I put one coat of leather conditioner on it when I made it, but that was it for the whole 6 months. It started out the same color as the new one in the picture. Your wallet will turn out the same way.

IMGP0686-1.jpg

neatsfoot's ok as long as it's 100% pure. I saw one guy use vegetable oil even haha (wouldn't suggest that at all, but it worked and dint mold). your stitching will wear out from use way before it'll be harmed by neatsfoot, plus you can always restitch!

i like mink oil better myself, and usually just stick to obenaufs heavy duty lp as it's got bees wax for waterproofing.

the best thing to do with leather is to not baby it. just oil it, stick it in your pocket and forget about it. it'll darken with use, over time, when it gets wet, when it dries, when you get indigo on it, when your hands get oil on it, everything affects it...thats why it's so great. just use everything and it'll end up looking awesome :)

i just took a couple pictures of my belts, i haven't posted pictures of them in a while. These are the 2 that i wear pretty much all the time, i have a black one too but you really can't see any change...it just gets shiney. i use some obenaufs when they feel a bit dry, and beeswax on the edges of the second one every once in a while. that's about it.

3030876292_6205b15137.jpg

3030873760_103224bf66.jpg

Cross post from evo of shoes

Not really much of a fashion boot as these are my true work boots, but I was happy with reconditioning them a bit. They're Red Wing steel toes, have had them for about 3 years and were worn hard with a lot of abuse. Decided it was time to give them a little attention and wanted to use some of my products before I used anything on my iron rangers

I just cleaned them with a hose, then a brush with a drop or two of dish soap. Let them dry for a day and fixed a split in the sole with Shoe Goo, used red wing natur-seal waterproof/conditioner, let them dry, then oiled them with red wing mink oil. Turn out pretty well for a pair of well used boots.

Before:

img2068ta0.jpg

After cleaning: (toes were very light)

img2076sv4.jpg

After waterproofing/conditioning:

img2078jz2.jpg

After mink oil:

img2084qt7.jpg

With crappy levi's:

img2083sq7.jpg

Got a new belt in NYC last weekend so I figured I'd post one last update of my tanner belt. It's been a great belt and I'm sure I will still use it from time to time.Treated once with Obenauf's and saw alot of sun.

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

Little bit of indigo transfer :)

IMG_1436.jpg

So my SC belt has developed this weird bunching of lines in the back of the belt. It's right where the back belt loop is. I haven't noticed it til today and I'm 99% sure it wasn't there last month when I took evo pics. Any idea what's causing this? The belt curves naturally to fit my waist, but these lines are following that curve so it doesn't seem to be from tension...

PB170002.jpg

its from pulling around your waist (which essentially stretches and molds the belt) and after a while the belt forms the same shape as your waist would be. when you push the belt back to it's original flat shape it does that bunching thing

id ont know why we would have to explain what is kind of an understanding of the way things or common sense or whatever you want to call it..... unless you're 8, then i apologize

I was wondering that if it's from pulling on the belt, why this hasn't happened sooner. I put my belt on both ways, through the left side and the right side, to try and minimize permanently curving it. So I "push the belt back to its original flat shape" quite regularly. It just seemed strange it would take this long to develop that effect. But thanks for clarifying.

So my SC belt has developed this weird bunching of lines in the back of the belt. It's right where the back belt loop is. I haven't noticed it til today and I'm 99% sure it wasn't there last month when I took evo pics. Any idea what's causing this? The belt curves naturally to fit my waist, but these lines are following that curve so it doesn't seem to be from tension...

PB170002.jpg

I have the same thing happen to me, here's my tanner belt after like 8 or 9 months, that grove fits my rear belt loop perfectly

vpf140.jpg

here's an update on my rm kids wallet. i had been tanning it on the dashboard of my car for about 2.5 days (2 days outside part, half day inside). it got darker but not as much as i had hoped - probably because there's uv protection in my windshield. so i tanned it outside for the last couple days (60/40 outside part/inside part) and liked how it turned out:

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

after one very light application of mink oil

IMG_0192.JPG

pic of untanned interior vs. tanned/oiled part

IMG_0194.JPG

so one thing that bugged me about the wallet was the zippered interior change pocket. i never carry change in my wallet. i usually stick change in the coin pocket of my jeans. i thought i would be able to stick cards i don't use that often in the change pocket and just zip it up but after i got it i quickly found out it was going to be way too small, so i had the idea of removing the zipper so that it could function as another card holder. after a fresh blade on the exacto out came this:

IMG_0191.JPG

i was going to cut out the stitching with a seam breaker but after inspecting the zipper i saw that the inside was double stitched to connect the interior leather to the exterior leather. if i broke both seams the wallet would have come apart. so i left the seam (which i thought was a nice detail anyway) and just cut out the zipper. it came out pretty clean:

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

much better function for me

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

now i just gotta put some wear into it. thanks to all who've responded to posts and pm's. look out for wear pics in a few months.

quick update. Just added the new Unisex Skinny Standard to our line.

3046348842_91189dc514_o.jpg

We’ve been secretly making this thinner version of our classic Standard belt for a few months now, and have finally added it as an official release to our line. Measuring 1” in width, it’s a great alternative for those who have pants with smaller belt loops.