Best hangover cures

junglejane

I've been hungover one too many times. I've learned a few things along the way that can intensify or diminish a hangover so here is my list of personal methods (besides the obvious things like not drinking shitty liquor):

1. Stay away from sugary and overly sweet drinks.

2. don't smoke. this is tricky because cigarettes can help you get a little dizzier without drinking as much, but if you're gonna drink a lot anyway the alcohol makes you crave nicotine even more so you smoke tons. you wake up in the morning with everything smelling like smoke (the worst is your hair) and you have ass-breath.

3. try to puke before going to bed as you reduce the alcohol content inside you.

4. drink as much water as possible before going to bed, i mean chug it down until you feel your stomach expand, then flop on your bed and sleep. you might feel it slushing around but trust me it's the only thing that has killed many of my potential hangovers in the past.

5. if you're already hungover try a clamato juice or that v8 shit. it helps a little but essentially doesn't do anything, also maruchan instant noodles are amazing. drink lots of water and sleep it off.

Everyone's different and has different methods, there are even people who don't suffer hangovers (bastards) so let's hear it! let's help fellow boozehounds.

wake up two hours earlier than you need to, pop some tylenol and go back to sleep.

when you wake up, drink Emergen-C.

mainly, drink lotsa water.

my mother-in-law gave me an anti-nausea medicine on my wedding day so that i could make it to the altar. i don't know the brand, i will find out, though...

Prevention:

Eat a good meal before you start any serious drinking.

Don't drink sweet drinks (as noted.) Your body will metabolize the sugar before the alcohol, so alcohol builds up in your system faster.

Try to alternate glasses of water between alcohol drinks. This is more effective than trying to backload all the water at the end of the night.

Do drink a glass or two of water before bed. Taking B vitamins and aspirin or ibuprofen helps. Do not take acetaminophen/paracetamol, known links to liver damage. *I am not a doctor*

If you already have a hangover:

If you feel like throwing up, throw up.

Drink water if you can stomach it. Gatorade is even better because it replaces electrolytes.

After a little while, a bloody mary or a beer (or both!) will take the edge off.

ddml, I do that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brushing the back of my tounge is hard!!!!

I have had ONE hangover in my entire life, but I eat a good meal every night, drink water like mad, smoke like mad, and brush my teeth and take vitamins at night, soooooo other than the smoking, I think just practicing good sense can keep you from getting one, and if you have one, go out, in direct sunlight, and mow the damn yard. You should make it as bad as possible so you lean how important it is to prevent it....... that, or I'm a masochist.....

I have to be shiny and bright for my job and I've tried them all. Bullshots, Sex and greasy fry ups are all fun but this is my tried and tested failsafe hangover cure.

Eat a solid meal before you go out and drink plenty of water too if you can. Go out and go as hard as you wish/can. Then wherever you find yourself, before you sleep make sure you neck 1-2000mg Vitamin C and drink plenty of water. Alcohol blocks your take up of vitamins so you have to pretty much overdose if you want to save yourself.

In the morning when you wake up drink honey and water, and as weird as it may sound to some, I suggest taking a hot bath with grapefruit, rosemary, fennel and Juniper essential oils. This blend will also work wonders if rubbed into the region around the liver. Have a decent breakfast of whatever you fancy and get on with it as normal.

I'd normally charge you for this sort of advice, but this ones on me cos I love

you.

nice tips everyone.

a couple more weird ones.

tumeric or specifically curcumin, the chemical compound in tumeric, has been used in japan for ages as a hangover preventor and liver protector. recent studies have found that curcumin reverses liver damage in mice, even after the damage has been done. so, for long term benefits, make sure you eat a lot of tumeric. curry is a good source. or you can buy standardized curcumin capsules. in japan, they sell tumeric pills that you can take before you go out drinking.

pedialyte is better than gatorade to replace fluids and electrolytes lost through vomiting, etc. of course, it tastes like shit.

coffee has been shown to prevent liver damage. however, more studies need to be done because researchers still don't know if it's the coffee or the milk or the sugar or a combination. coffee is a diuretic, so it's not recommended for a hangover. it will dehydrate you more. which is bad.

stay awake. the body metabolizes alcohol better when you are awake than when you are asleep. i've noticed that the nights i've stayed up till morning (or afternoon) were the nights my hangovers were less severe. there might be some truth to this.

nope, many bars and izakaya i've been to close at 9:00 AM and later.

btw, another tip that i haven't seen. when drinking, don't mix drinks too much. some drinks are not meant to be drunk together. some alcoholic beverages work well together. for instance, a beer and cider is a bad combo, it will fuck you up. but, tequila and beer is not too bad. anyways, to be on the safe side, stick to one type of drink.

also, don't drink cheap shit. a good way to tell if you're shit is cheap is if it comes in a plastic bottle and also, if it comes in gallon sizes. drinking good shit will lessen your hangover. guaranteed.

also, don't drink the "house" sangria or whatever mixed drink at a restaurant. they will use the worst, cheapest liquor and mix it with crappy shit which will make you sick.

ugh. the lessons i've learned in life.

Coke w/ice in the morning -- righteous. (I think sugar and caffeine helps, in general.)

For meal, spicy Asian soup kind-of-thing (like kimchi chige or tom tum) helps wake up your system.

But before all that believe it or not, as gross as it sounds, shots of pepto if and after you throw up. Helps settle your system.

Caffeine: Bad Short term relief and you'll suffer in the long run.

Curry: Gooood true professionals'll tell ya chilli and spices open up your vascules or something or other. I reckon that's all cobblers and they're banging on about em cause they taste good.

No one's mentioned bloody mary's yet. That's gotta be on the list, even if I do prefer Bloody Maria's ( the same drink, with tequila rather than than vodka.)

As said many times before in this thread eat a pretty good sized meal preferrably one with a lot of starches (potatoes noodles etc..) This will stay in your system longer and make you feel fuller already. Plus it will help soak up some of the alcohol. You should also try and drink @least one 32 oz gatorade it helps if you drink it right before you go to bed, also take some tylenol and vitamin B complex. available @ any drugstore. These vitamins help absorb more of the alcohol while you sleep. If you still feel shitty when you wake up take this stuff called Airborne its a concentrated vitamin fizzy tablet take two if need be, drink some more water and hope for the best. Remember only pussies call out sick for a hangover, real men call out sick to go DRINK!!!

usually i try to stay up if i know ill be hung over in the morning. that hasnt failed me yet. however if im too wasted to stay awake, i put a bottle or sometimes jug of water for me to down when i wake up, then i go back to sleep.

when its really bad i make sure to go out for pho ASAP. throw soem fresh chilis in the broth and sweat the fucker out. pho is without a doubt the best hangover cure on the planet. trust.

however, getting shitty soup only makes the hangover more depressing, so know your pho joints before drinking excessively.

Don't do shots

Don't smoke

drink a glass of water for every two or three drinks you consume

4 glasses of water and a couple of asprin before bed

next morning...Hair of dog and don't be late for work.

oh, and a little weed takes the edge off and will bring back your appetite.

I will drink a beer in the AM with a little pepper in it. This always get my stomach hungry for some breakfast. The sooner you can get some food in you the better you will feel.

1. Drink lots of water

2. Drink Vitamin water (focus) throughout the night

3. Pop some kind of pain killer before you sleep or wake up

4. If you got some fight in u go to the gym and sweat that aclohol out

5. Best solution for me used to be smokin a dooby..however if you got to be productive when you wake up..puking has to be the best!

f*ucking hangovers....