good hip hop

i just heard a new slug track.. titled "new song" from sad clown bad summer 9... its fucking awesome. the beat is a simple piano loop but its just chilled out, slugs rhymes are great.. sounds like a return to form, SO much better than the last crap album(s?)

oh and the newish cage track thats on the adult swim website.. pretty grimey

anyone heard the beastie album? its instrumental so its probly not hip hop exactly. i always loved their jazzy/funky tracks so im gonna get it when i see it. unless yall say its gay before i get to it.

are you talking about the In Sound from Way Out? Thats on my top 30 all time albums, I think. Terrific listen start to end.

^^^Lightheaded has some pretty nice beats, but none of their tracks stand out to me.

i just heard a new slug track.. titled "new song" from sad clown bad summer 9... its fucking awesome. the beat is a simple piano loop but its just chilled out, slugs rhymes are great.. sounds like a return to form, SO much better than the last crap album(s?)

'You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having' was pretty solid, in my opinion. All of the tracks seemed more thought out, and Slug actually had something interesting to say, especially on the last track. Overall, very reminescent of Ford 1 and 2.

Sorta LOL'in at the grimeyness of a song on adultswim.com or whatever.

i like that new song. im making sure to grab the new sad clowns at rock the bells, i think he said he was bringing two tour only releases for the tour. my fav thing about this track is the throw back to jazzy jeff and the fresh prince feel it has and how he brings it in at the end. also, i thought atmos' last two albums are their best yet. sevens travels and you cant imagine are so much denser than their earlier stuff. but i hear the 'they fell off' argument alot, and i can see why people who like their rap raw feel that way.

are you talking about the In Sound from Way Out? Thats on my top 30 all time albums, I think. Terrific listen start to end.

no they just put out a brand new album of all new material that is entirely instumental. its called the mix up and its out on cd everywhere. im not hearing it til the vinyl is released cause i have had this really bad habit of not buying beastie albums when i hear them first cause theyre last 2 havnt really been all that exciting. im just gonna risk it on this one. and i agree in sound from way out is amazing. but you can get all those tracks off their albums save a couple.

well heres a link to the new song.. try it against anything on that album and then tell me what you like more

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KI2R55RY

Thanks for the link. I wish there was a little bit of swing to the drums, nonetheless, the track is pretty dope. I ended up digging through my old sad clown tapes (only copies, not the real tapes :( ) after listening to this...Slug had some sick freestyles back in the day.

A friend of mine sent me this link earlier today: http://www.newmixes.com/gilles_peterson_-_worldwide-sat-07-12-2007.html#more-438. You can download a copy of the mix by following a link at the bottom of the page. The sound quality of the mix is pretty decent, so it's worth checking out.

EDIT: Just realized that the playlist didn't mention the best part of the mix - Kweli's commentary throughout the Rawkus tracks. His take is on the evolution of Rawkus, and his own career is pretty interesting.

Don't want to fully endorse, but do want to give mention to Tragedy Khadafi's new record The death of Tragedy.

I bought it from Soundcity (my local shop in Queens) yesterday

Alot of the better songs are cut short for some reason. just as things get rolling, and your feeling his flow, shit'll fade out, or there will be a bunch of gun shots, and then it will go into the next track. Sounds like a hasty recording, on a shoestring budget, and can be borderline infuriating. Mostly weak guest apearances to, except for when him and Killa Sha murder this 4th Disciple beat on the "bonus track". Seems like he's alienated alot of his old friends (littles, Mega, Mobb, etc...) or maybe they just weren't available at the time of recording.

If anything, Support him cause he sounds more broke, and more paranoid than ever before, and about just as hungry.

Man I love me some Trag. Cant wait to hear that shit. Whats the deal with him and Nore? Still enemies?

Anyway, I was lightening to Talibs album again last night and it deserves to be said that this is his best album since Black Star. Some of the stuff he does on that album eclipse Black Star. HIs flow and voice can be, usually, tiresom. But the beats compliment his style so well you cant help but pay attention.

Man I love me some Trag. Cant wait to hear that shit. Whats the deal with him and Nore? Still enemies?

Nah...not as far as I heard. A while back they got popped whilst sitting and talking in Nore's car in downtown manhattan somewhere. Something about "weed in the glove box. Oh wait, here we go:

"On September 3, Tragedy Khadafi, along with Noreaga,and several other persons, were forcibly stopped, searched, and arrested by approximately 30 to 35 New York City Police Officers at gunpoint in downtown New York City, for simply driving a vehicle lawfully.

Tragedy Khadafi, along with others, were forced to stop the vehicle, threatened at gunpoint by numerous officers while still in the vehicle, forced to exit and shoved to the ground while approximately 30 to 35 guns were pointed at their heads amidst a barrage of threats by the officers.

The "pretext" for this horrific display of police power, was their alleged belief that the vehicle, or one of its passengers, had a gun, which of course, was not true. According to his attorney, Renata Lowenbraun, Tragedy Khadafi is evaluating whether a civil rights action will be filed on his behalf. "

That was in 2003, so i think shit was/is good between them.

I gaurentee you'll be dissapointed in the album though

Anyway, I was lightening to Talibs album again last night and it deserves to be said that this is his best album since Black Star. Some of the stuff he does on that album eclipse Black Star. HIs flow and voice can be, usually, tiresom. But the beats compliment his style so well you cant help but pay attention.

This is somehow unbelievable to me. The last song I remeber thinking he really had it was that joint on reflection eternal that ends "these cats drink champagne/and toast death and pain/like slaves on the ship arguing bout who got the biggest chain"

Since then it's been nothing but dissapointment after dissapointment. I'll check for it though. For the most part I trust your judgement.

can we please change the point of this topic to "why talib aint dope". i promise not to get rude about it. i just have serious issues wiht how painfully average he is and somehow passes for progressive or socially conscious by never saying anything very intelligent. its as if all he has to do is talk about not having a ferrari and how we need to raise our kids right and every backpacker with some liberal guilt wants him to run for president all of a sudden.

im glad there is a market for music that sits on the fence or takes a very consumable stance on issues such as love, peace and not being a gangsta. but those issues suck. and they make for boring records. and jamming alot of words into a bar doesnt make your message stronger, it clutters it. and rapping baou tno smoking crack doesnt change much if you just rap about not doing it and leave it at that.

i beleive that talib is only appreciated because hes on the coatails of some alright artists (mos, kanye, hi tek, madlib, etc). i dont think ive ever encountered anythign hes done where hes outshined the person whos putting him on. maybe the blast, but only cause tek is a shitty rapper. but the beat is what makes that song anyway so its kinda grey.

to be honest I'd much rather listen to all the topics you mentioned then the opposites. I've always been a big fan of Kwelis delivery, voice, flow and everything so I have no complaints on that side either.

to me Reflection Eternal is one of the best rap albums ever so I couldn't agree on him being on anyones coatail, Hi-tek played a big part of course, but Talib is definately the one I'm listening to on the album.

to be honest I'd much rather listen to all the topics you mentioned then the opposites.

ya but its so safe. im not syaing hed be better if he wrote about hate, war and gansta shit. but he just doesnt really represent an identity. hes like a watered down aging b boy who tries to incorporate all 4 elements into every video and does adds for echo. and thats not necessarily bad, but his music is sooooo fucking boring. i dont know. to me at least. im glad hes getting shine over alot of other people, but theres so much better stuff to pay attention to. and his punchlines suck balls. i feel like he just has a rhyming dictionary and goes for all the big words.i think i might be able to write his tracks for him if he ever gets lazy.

thanks everyone for contributing:D

my turn now, if you like any of the stuff i put down

please hit me up with other hiphop with the same interest

cyne

visionaries

soul position

self scientific

the grouch

shing02

shape shifters

atmosphere

dj shadow

swollen members

dilated people

Cunninlynguist

people under the stairs

self scientific

chase phoneix

fort minor

aceyalone

cali agents

living legends

nujabes

company flow

beat junkies

the coup

will post more later..

thanks everyone for contributing:D

my turn now, if you like any of the stuff i put down

please hit me up with other hiphop with the same interest

cyne

visionaries

soul position

self scientific

the grouch

shing02

shape shifters

atmosphere

dj shadow

swollen members

dilated people

Cunninlynguist

people under the stairs

self scientific

chase phoneix

fort minor

aceyalone

cali agents

living legends

nujabes

company flow

beat junkies

the coup

Funny, just saw this; my list would be 80% the same-

You listen to other jap kids besides Shing02?

shing02 is the only jap rapper i know of, do you have any other recomendations?

Yah, the question is do you understand japanese or not?

If not, go for Buddah Brand, (Nipps, Dev Large for their solo stuff) OLD Verbal, (with his old group M-Flo, before Lisa left, and long before the Teriyaki Boyz bs) Muro, Nitro Microphone Underground.

If you do understand, there's tons of decent lyricists out there.