good hip hop

Canibus is one of my favorite rappers, but do you honestly think he's unearthing anything new? I know blah blah blah "nothings new", but seriously? especially with him.

Listening to Canibus is like watching The Matrix..suuuuuure it has a 'meaning' but I'm watching because its so fucking cool did you see her just stab that nigga with her bare hand?

personally, my merits for a dope rap artist don't include being "a G" or being a good skater. and like him or not, saying that Lupe's wordplay is nothing is sketchy as fuck.

Of course I don't judge Lupe by how much of a thug he is or his ability to ride a skateboard, the guy can deliver, I admit, but when he's speaking on some gangster shit one minute and then speaks about kick-pushing a skateboard, when he doesn't bang or ride, I'm sure I am not the only one who sees through him. I personally was fine with pre-Kanye Lupe shit, but since he wanted to be famous, he was eventually featured on Kanye's first album. Lupe is definately new school, and I just think people give him more credit than he deserves, it's not like he came into the game and dropped some shit that's never been done before.

An underground artist that is waiting to blow up is not any better than an artist that already blew up. We all know that fame does not make somebody a good rapper, but it doesn't make anybody a bad one either. So your attitude that fame diminishes a artist is plain wrong.

What i consider strongsauce?

Canibus

inmortal

talib kweli

little brother

AZ

tupac, biggie, Nas, BIg L are all hot. whether they are underground or not doesn't say anything.

as for your list, i like the boot camp clik but what do they bring to the table that isn't available? Say what you want but i'll take big L over the artifacts anyday. Akbar is another one that isn't much different then the rest.

In fact tell me this shit aint hard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeyHE9SvnY

I never implied that fame made one a better artist potentially. However these days people solely judge by popularity. You think Lupe got all his fanbase because of his lyrics? I don't think so. His style is strongly influenced by Kanye West, so if one was to say Lupe Fiasco is the best, then wouldn't that make Kanye West a God? It's the image he created for himself that made him widely known. He went from gangster, to skater, to popstar, to a fashion guru. All for what? He's not true to the roots.

You say what do the artist I name bring to the table that isn't already available? You should slap yourself a couple times and re-analyze your own questions. What has Lupe brought to the table that isn't already available? All the artists I named have already done it pre-2000, how would one compare them to Lupe who wasn't known until Kanye's album release?

There's a big difference with what I'm saying and with what you're saying. I'm comparing Lupe to artists that have been around along time and done it many times before. You seem to be comparing other artists who've already hit their prime when Lupe was still in diapers.

I mean let's take a look at your list. Did you just type some random artists you thought that might still be hip and good examples? Canibus? Inmortal? Do you mean Immortal? Talib Kweli? Talib hasn't put out anything good since Eternal Reflection/Blackstar. Little brother? What the fuck is Little Brother now that 9th Wonder left? Lastly you have AZ on there before Wu-Tang? To me it looks like a list some backpacker would make after going to Rock The Bells for their first time.

Get real.

Stop hating and move on with your life.. some of those artists above are actually GOOD mainstream artists as you call em.. How are you going to come to this thread dissing other rappers that you don't like. And you go and list a whole group of artists like you found a pot of gold or something, that a lot of us haven't heard of. If you want the music you listen to be heard, don't come off as an arrogant dousche thinkin your music is better than everyone elses. Sry, don't mean to be an asshole, but I just hate it when someone comes in here complaining about other people's music. To me music is music, if it has some meaning in it, then it's worth listening to. Spread the music bro.

Who are you and what the fuck are you talking about? Please return to the little crevice in the wall you climbed out of. You just jumped into a conversation that didn't concern you. Not to mention in that whole paragraph you typed out you've said nothing but jibberish. You obviously don't belong in here.

Come back when you have some good debate material.

I won't even argue some of this stuff you dudes are saying, lol @ Lupe's wordplay being wack.

....but Talib fell off....

His last album was an improvement...so, wouldn't you say he fell up?

Also, why is there so much goddamned resistance against & negativity towards rappers with moreso realistic/positive content in their music? Yes, we know that because they're saying positive/real-life shit doesn't mean they're saying something new. The same can be said about people who spit certain negative shit in their rhymes. You'd think people would be more tired with the whole superthug act. Y'all acting like Lupe is Baby or someshit.

I never implied that fame made one a better artist potentially. However these days people solely judge by popularity. You think Lupe got all his fanbase because of his lyrics? I don't think so. His style is strongly influenced by Kanye West, so if one was to say Lupe Fiasco is the best, then wouldn't that make Kanye West a God? It's the image he created for himself that made him widely known. He went from gangster, to skater, to popstar, to a fashion guru. All for what? He's not true to the roots.

FIrst of all...

Why do you keep talkin about lupe and kanye and avoiding the real issue?

your argument is full of shit because it has nothing to do with lyrics, just weak opinions.

You make a lot of false assumptions (and use faulty logic) and ended up making no sense.

let me give you an example;

lupe's rhyming was not influenced by kanye much...but lets assume it has. Does that mean kanye is automatically better than him? That would mean lil richard is better than the beatles because he influenced them. The beatles worth is not determined by the greatnest of their influences, so lupe's shouldn't be either.

i could argue with you about that mess of a arguement you wrote but i'll just note how ironic it is that you look down upon people judging artist by popularity than you proceed to judge lupe by a whole list of shit that has nothing to do with skills.

in fact you are guilty of judging rappers by popularity too, but instead of how famous you praise them by how unknown.

You say what do the artist I name bring to the table that isn't already available? You should slap yourself a couple times and re-analyze your own questions. What has Lupe brought to the table that isn't already available? All the artists I named have already done it pre-2000, how would one compare them to Lupe who wasn't known until Kanye's album release?

What has lupe brought to the table? Are you kidding? with all the mainstream bullshit he is more than a welcomed change. If you really have to ask that you don't get it.

Again, what does fame have to do with skills, if he wasen't known until kanye so what?

the artist you mentioned are either WAY past their prime like dr. octagon or not doing anything special. Some from your list are good, but it isn't anything mind blowing.

There's a big difference with what I'm saying and with what you're saying. I'm comparing Lupe to artists that have been around along time and done it many times before. You seem to be comparing other artists who've already hit their prime when Lupe was still in diapers.

WTF?!?!?! This doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's a contradiction or plain stupid.

but...

the people you mentioned are old as hell...Artifacts did their shit in the early to mid 90's. WTF are they doing now?

I mentioned canibus, who had a album this year, immortal who is coming out pretty soon and talib who just came out...WTF are you talking about? Canibus is spitting some of the hottest shit ever right now...He IS in his lyrical prime. So what if he stopped been famous in 1999, aren't you not concerened with fame?

I mean let's take a look at your list. Did you just type some random artists you thought that might still be hip and good examples? Canibus? Inmortal? Do you mean Immortal? Talib Kweli? Talib hasn't put out anything good since Eternal Reflection/Blackstar. Little brother? What the fuck is Little Brother now that 9th Wonder left? Lastly you have AZ on there before Wu-Tang? To me it looks like a list some backpacker would make after going to Rock The Bells for their first time.

What does the WU have to do with this? This isn't a top list nigga...

Hold up...was that your top list? lol

BTW Canibus has 3 rhymes for every word any of your rappers can spit.

and you sound like a independent rock fan that doesn't like a band as soon as they get hot.

Keep that bullshit in seattle, new york niggas will pwned you.

I'll make this short, you're an imbecile. Do you not read the posts before yours?

You might have not noticed but me and everyone else who responded were referring to Lupe Fiasco from the start. Who knows what the fuck your dumb ass was talking about?

Next time, if you're going to try and quote someone thinking you know what the topic is at hand, atleast use proper formation and sentence fluency, your pre-education chicken scratch will not do.

Taking in consideration your avatar, I should've never even bothered with your quaint logic. I knew it would eventually lead to a gaping pit of idiocy.

I'm done with you. Troll.

First of all.. I wasn't in the debate in the first place. I came here looking for new and good music, after all isn't this what this threads about. I wasn't here to debate on whos better than who. And second, a debate doesn't consist of calling people idiots just because we don't agree with you.

I'll make this short, you're an imbecile. Do you not read the posts before yours?

You might have not noticed but me and everyone else who responded were referring to Lupe Fiasco from the start. Who knows what the fuck your dumb ass was talking about?

Next time, if you're going to try and quote someone thinking you know what the topic is at hand, atleast use proper formation and sentence fluency, your pre-education chicken scratch will not do.

Taking in consideration your avatar, I should've never even bothered with your quaint logic. I knew it would eventually lead to a gaping pit of idiocy.

I'm done with you. Troll.

LLLLMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.................

I swear...everyone in superfuture who get's his ass kicked in an argument has to resort to attacking grammer and spelling to drive attention away from the fact that they were just OWNED.

You my bitch.

un-: from reading your posts i can tell you have a good handle on things, but im still gonna go on record and say lupes wordplay is wack. everyone i know tries to covert me to riding his jock, but when he tries to get superlyrical, it always comes off as some contrived 7th grade english lesson. hes very clever for being able to line up words with double meanings and switching context. hes mastered the art of flipping variables to create multi layered bars, fine! but if the content within the smoke and mirrors doesnt add up to good song writing, or even decent; then all hes really proved is that hes overstylized. and i think that criticism goes beyond his supposed word play. he can play with words all he wants, until those words mean something, i wont listen. and to say he isnt trying to be any one thing is a back handed compliment. i feel as if hes stretched himself so thin by not trying to fit into any certain subgenre that hes basically forced himself into irrelevance. hes the politcally consious, backpaking, pseudo gangsta, intellectual skateboarder. fuck that. dude is a walking, rapping, identity crisis japanohpile. i bet his label makes him where glasses so as to not alienate chess nerds. and the anime shit gets the bozack.

the only compliment i will throw lupe is having the smartest album insert of all time on food and liquor. other than that, dude is the epitome of how convuluted hip hop has gotten in its quest for mass appeal. fuck a lupe.

un-: from reading your posts i can tell you have a good handle on things, but im still gonna go on record and say lupes wordplay is wack. everyone i know tries to covert me to riding his jock, but when he tries to get superlyrical, it always comes off as some contrived 7th grade english lesson. hes very clever for being able to line up words with double meanings and switching context. hes mastered the art of flipping variables to create multi layered bars, fine! but if the content within the smoke and mirrors doesnt add up to good song writing, or even decent; then all hes really proved is that hes overstylized. and i think that criticism goes beyond his supposed word play. he can play with words all he wants, until those words mean something, i wont listen. and to say he isnt trying to be any one thing is a back handed compliment. i feel as if hes stretched himself so thin by not trying to fit into any certain subgenre that hes basically forced himself into irrelevance. hes the politcally consious, backpaking, pseudo gangsta, intellectual skateboarder. fuck that. dude is a walking, rapping, identity crisis japanohpile. i bet his label makes him where glasses so as to not alienate chess nerds. and the anime shit gets the bozack.

the only compliment i will throw lupe is having the smartest album insert of all time on food and liquor. other than that, dude is the epitome of how convuluted hip hop has gotten in its quest for mass appeal. fuck a lupe.

The bolded says his wordplay isn't wack. If his wordplay is better than average, then it's not wack. I'm not trying to convert you to riding his jock or some shit like that, just saying that dude isn't wack.

I just believe you're judging him on this type of unreachable standard. Like Nas Jr. or something lol. He does have content in his music, just because his style encompasses pushing himself in the bolded area concerning your arguement, it doesn't mean he's saying gibberish. He's a good songwriter by the standards of hip-hop right now, much better than the average rapper. Therefore, if he's substantially above average concerning songs, he's not wack at song writing either if that's what you're implying.

"He's the politically conscious, backpacking, pseudo gangsta, intellectual skateboarder."

That's alot better than what the average standard is in hip-hop.

I saw Talib last night and it ruled.

From some comments in this thread his new album is not too good, or what? Live he had everything going; smooth, intelligent, funny, confident. And real nice Nike high tops.

What albums should I check out? I have heard the black star album with Mos Def, but that's about it.

From some comments in this thread his new album is not too good, or what? Live he had everything going; smooth, intelligent, funny, confident. And real nice Nike high tops.

What albums should I check out? I have heard the black star album with Mos Def, but that's about it.

Most people believed Talib Kweli's The Beautiful Struggle was a disappointment, but his new album Eardrum is an obivous improvement from that. But some people say it's still not a good enough improvement, although I beg to differ..

Reflection Eternal: Train of Though. thats one of my all time favorite albums.

to be honest I've liked every single one of his albums. Quality was pretty good, Beautiful struggle not so good but not bad either. Eardrum is very dope in my book.

FUCK

Again with this "Lupe's a great rapper" debate???

Didn't we END this already? Mike?? HA.

Everyone seems to agree that Lupe is NOT dropping anything groundbreaking both musically, lyrically and image-wise.

Everyone seems to agree that Lupe is marketing himself extremely well.

Everyone seems to agree that Lupe is not half-bad for mainstream hip hop.

Everyone seems to agree that Lupe is a crap skater but not as bad as Pharell.

I personally don't listen to Lupe 'cause he bores me. Just listened to some 'Down South' and Scientifik from 94 (?)... now that's what I'm talking about.

the thing is, it seems to agitate some people that hes liked for what he is or does. whether you like him or not, saying that he sucks, is wack, no talent or his rhyming skills are nothing will obviously result in some comments.

fromw hat ive heard from anyone that has seen him live, he is phenomenal, unfortunately, the time i saw him a couple years back, he was too baked to remember his own lyrics and stopped every one of his songs halfway thorugh telling the dj "na na na, they don't wanna hear that" because he forgot the lyrics.