Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

One of my friends from England had on a pair of shoes that were beautiful. You could tell that they've been broken in over years. He had polished them impeccably and they looked great with a pair of worn jeans. They were that burgundy color with the dark creases, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

So, I want a pair of shoes or boots that will age like this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, no sneakers please. Thanks.

this isn't that complicated.

THis thread stopped being about miz question years ago

Respectfully, and as someone who obviously lurks rather than posts, I would totally disagree. Miz set the stage/tone/whatever for people to share or ask questions about shoes that fall into a certain range of styles. Obviously the main gist of this topic is still shoes and boots that are beautiful, broken in over years, polishable and look great with jeans.

Maybe I'm totally wrong though and there is a silent majority just DYING to see some muddy New Balances . . .

Respectfully, and as someone who obviously lurks rather than posts, I would totally disagree. Miz set the stage/tone/whatever for people to share or ask questions about shoes that fall into a certain range of styles. Obviously the main gist of this topic is still shoes and boots that are beautiful, broken in over years, polishable and look great with jeans.

Maybe I'm totally wrong though and there is a silent majority just DYING to see some muddy New Balances . . .

Miz set the tone for the thread, but people are just showing off their shoes not recommending him some shoes. The thread went deeper then his first post suggested.

If people want to see trashed sneakers then people should go ahead and post them.

some thrift johnston & murphy's that i got the other day. i dont really even want to wash or treat them. i also saw some old Allen edmonds park avenue's but the sole was loose from the bottom of the shoe. the sole was still in decent conditon so whould i have to have to get it resoled or just reattach the existing one?

anyone know what model these are?

hpim0738kq5.jpg

hpim0739yo0.jpg

after reading this thread for about a year or so and having owned a pair of leather shoes for about the same time, I almost feel like I don't want to buy sneakers for casual use anymore... probably the only exception I'll make are for simple, cheap, but well-made sneakers (such as PF Flyers) and for my running shoes (ASICS for life!)

But really, there's not as much pride in owning a beat up pair of sneakers as there is in a well-worn pair of leather shoes. Plus there's the ritual of care, getting them resoled, shining and oiling them... and the thrill of finding a great pair thrifting.

Thank you, Superfuture :)

I did notice that. I just won my second pair of PF Flyers on the 'Bay... I like them because they have that 40's-50's converse look and you can usually find them for great prices DS (because they are unfortunately/fortunately not as popular in the US as regular old Chuck Taylors)

Plus, they're the shoes from the Sandlot! Can't get much cooler than that...

As for ASICS... well, my love affair with them started in HS XC. After I started running in them, I never looked back.