Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Im forgetting, are they on the same last? (i could find this out, I know...)

because in the end I'd go with whichever has the overall shape you like better. Laces/soles/heels/edging/etc can all be changed down the road. Though I suppose the weatherproof-ness of the welt is another thing to consider... But in the end it won't matter how waterproof they are if you never wear them.

oh, for my money: the bottom ones.

I like the top pair more as well. but I feel like the top pair looks more like a work boot while the bottom more like a dress one. Which style of boot are you looking for?

exactly! i'd almost always pick function over form. that said, the top conforms to my lifestyle... & wardrobe.

Edited by BrownMetallic

x-post, figured some of you that are waiting for these would want some more teaserr pics

They're here! I tried them on and first impressions are that they are so supple! They bend well compared to my other sd, although i think it's mostly because i have a double leather sole on the other. loving the way hh crinkles too... only thing is i wish that the "cream" liner was more cream than white.. can't wait to get some wear on these!

6676144263_982cd5dcdd_z.jpg

6676140599_daebd0ba1a_z.jpg

6676137539_d1f1d63b32_z.jpg

re: hide thickness, any1 handled/knows about bison? maybe, comparative to bull hide or water buffalo? or thicker?

... while @it, any macro shots [to see texture]

Bullhide is fairly heavy (no liner necessary) and tough. It's one of my favorites for boots. Water buffalo is fairly thin, requiring lining leather for construction, and takes a shine nicely, but also scuffs quickly. Better for a dressier pair, rather than a working pair of boots. Personally, I don't care for it much, since I inexplicably tear up leather. Bison is somewhere in between the other two, in my experience. Heavy enough to not need lining leather, but not as tough as bullhide. Usually it has a texture to it, like bullhide, but often sueded.

Sorry, no pics, since the only boots I had in water buffalo, bison and bullhide I owned, i've long since sold.

Maybe more appropriate for this/that thread, but I'm going where the knowledge is...

Thoughts? Main differences seem to be the 3/4 storm welt vs 360 goodyear, sole, and laces. Both Natural Chromexcel, both trubalance.

Would go for a non-celastic smoke jumper in natural cxl in a heartbeat if Baker's would follow through on that leather option, but I'm getting impatient.

Well, laces are an easy switch, so I'm gonna set that issue aside. Welt stitching color likewise isn't much of a concern, since a little wear will darken that up. That brings us to the 3/4 v. full Goodyear welt. Generally, I prefer full welt, but for practical purposes, they're about the same. Appearancewise, I'd give the edge to the bottom pair, though. As for the sole itself, I prefer the rubber sole and neoprene heel on the top pair. Leather soles look great, but from a practical standpoint, the rubber will last longer, be more comfortable and give better traction. Since these aren't dress boots and are built on the same last, using the same leather, making fit identical, I say go with the top pair- they look great and will feel better and last longer.

hmmmm. so that changes some things for me. hustonchris, you don't like either the water buffalo or bison? so the leather is too thin to appreciate or enjoy?

also, anyone have a picture of worn black chrmxcl?

Edited by wgmds

@houstonchris_ tnx for the reply. yea, i've seen bullhide & water buffalo i person. don't care much for the latter, too. i just wanted to have an idea where bison stack up. i like bullhide for the texture, but too textured for an entire boots. bison, i just recently found out, is quite the middle ground__ both on weight & texture, which is a lot to my liking.

@hallows_ read somewhere that normally you have to have the celastic toe on most leathers for SJ's cuz the tips cave in/get deformed. however, non-celastic seems to work on their rough-out version

new:

wsjvamp.jpg

now:

zz108.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

x-post, figured some of you that are waiting for these would want some more teaserr pics

damn those are sweet! is that black or brown hh?

black hh, medallion captoe, composite half sole, all antique eyelets, cream liner, close welt trim, standard (cuban) heel, and pull loops. thanks guys, i'm actually very happy with the way they came out, i really like the single welt stitching and the medallion toe caps especially

is the standard trim 2 rows of welt stitching, and the close trim 1 row?