mizanation

Shoes that look better with age...

Made by John White, I believe.

Alexandre sell suits with a 'Savile Row' tag these days, but I believe they used to be middle-of-the-road made-to-measure tailors back in the 70s and before (that's what my tailor tells me, anyway).

Not sure if this incarnation of Alexandre is a direct descendant of the original brand, or a re-launched name bought up as a 'heritage' brand...

I think its the same one. Odd how many brands are reinventing themselves as "heritage", the last thing they wanted to be seen as back in the day. Brutus shirts ffs.

Very nice shoes.

Rip Socrates. Are you a fan of the beautiful game Thor?

just got these at a thrift store down in south florida. vintage sears, cats paw heels, corded sole, leather mid sole... soles are getting a little thin, but they have plenty of life left.

img9016n.jpgimg9014q.jpg

that's a crazy fucking steal. never seen those before, but if it's mccoy then that is amazing!

that's a crazy fucking steal. never seen those before, but if it's mccoy then that is amazing!

These are old-school American Union-made joints - not the Japanese brand. They're actually called McCoys (I guess I added the real). Still a steal, though - they are on par with Red Wing.

They're actually called McCoys (I guess I added the real).

This is priceless

Whatever the case, they look nice. Good toe profile and a nice looking welt.

Funny that they have the alternating thread colors on the vamp stitch *exactly* like the Red Wings they're copying.

nice looking welt? its plastic. the leather looks like cheap corrected grain too.

l.jpg

my swing last SD with chromexel brown.

there's no time to wear them. so sad... need more wrinkle, fading ...

My three year old Grensons. Italian WWII army boot repro. Bought 2ndhand (99 % new) on Styleforum, so don't know everything about them... Treated once with Obenauf's LP, and just last week I had some new soles put onto them. "Winter tyres", ey!..

accd025b.jpg

2985cf33.jpg

56352c1a.jpgefce7325.jpg

• man I just ordered the swing last to try something different but I dunno if I'm liking the looks of it from that pic.. not to hate on your shoes, it's just a preference thing.

The swing last does start to look clown shoe like, especially on the larger sizes. I've got a pair with the swing last and probably wouldn't do it again.

This may be old news, but thought it was worth posting. From Moulded Shoe's blog:

After months of speculation we have been officially informed today by Alden Shoe Company that effective December 26, 2011 there will be a significant price increase across the board on all styles.

Please plan your footwear needs accordingly.

Useful resource here from the shoe shine expert based at Gieves and Hawkes' Savile Row premises. The rest of his blog is worth reading if you've the inclination.

In the meantime, I'd like these, please:

P1000567.JPG

P1000619.JPG

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

So I was intent on my next boots being a pair of Viberg Service Boots in the mocha cxl. After speaking with the folks at Viberg, I learned that the base price of that boot is about $650. If a cap toe is added, that goes up to roughly $700.

Yeah I realize Vibergs are more than everything else, and I'm not trying to start that discussion. What I wanna know is what makes that service boot $250-$300 more than a White's SD (or other model)? They use damn near the same materials so it can't be that. Is it superior construction? Foreign demand? A combo of both?

In a way I'm trying to justify possibly buying the boot. In all honesty I just don't understand what makes their boots ~40% more expensive than similar manufacturers. I know relative worth is in the eye of the customer but goddamn.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

So I was intent on my next boots being a pair of Viberg Service Boots in the mocha cxl. After speaking with the folks at Viberg, I learned that the base price of that boot is about $650. If a cap toe is added, that goes up to roughly $700.

Yeah I realize Vibergs are more than everything else, and I'm not trying to start that discussion. What I wanna know is what makes that service boot $250-$300 more than a White's SD (or other model)? They use damn near the same materials so it can't be that. Is it superior construction? Foreign demand? A combo of both?

In a way I'm trying to justify possibly buying the boot. In all honesty I just don't understand what makes their boots ~40% more expensive than similar manufacturers. I know relative worth is in the eye of the customer but goddamn.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

It's viberg! They make boots for iron heart! Hype + hype = $700.

It's viberg! They make boots for iron heart! Hype + hype = $700.

They make an excellent pair of jeans. There's no denying it. There are a few fan-boys that are deteriorating the value of the brand by A. looking like absolute tools in their WAYWT pics and b. subsequently behaving like idiots as a result of the backlash to said pics, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that IH is all hype. I know it's the cool thing to hate on them right now, but rock a pair of their 21 oz signature jawnz and then tell me the hype is unsubstantiated. Aint happening, bra.

Edited by Shoreman

^ Oh, shit…now what!?

snapsnapsnapsnapsnap

superedit.

Edited by Shoreman

Layne, I own both vibergs & whites. in terms of built tough, they are about equivalent - i.e. bullet-proof.

Where I see the difference is that whites makes no pretence - their boots are workboots, pure & simple. You'll find some rough edges, slightly imperfect/asymmetrical welts, etc. the vibergs, on the other hand, are immaculate. Try and imagine a dress boot attention to detail, with the likes of alden's bootmakers edition, combined with that incredibly tough build.

i think this is what the premium is. so if you're in bc, and visit the viberg factory store, their "imperfects" that they sell for $300 rival just about any other brand that's sold at full retail....

Edited by riff

Riff, sadly I'm thousands of miles from bc.

I really didn't want this to turn into a Viberg iron heart hype bash... Especially considering those are far from the boots I want.

I had no idea a "plain" pair of brown leather boots would be $700. I know the quality will be superb and all that jazz... But the lady I was speaking with literally chuckled when she told me the price. These guys know they're raping and cleaning up while doing it. Such a shame cuz that service boot is a perfect silhouette.

This is just my opinion, but Viberg likes to screw up perfectly good boots by putting on soles like the Christy sole. Makes me wanna puke.

A pair of horsehide White's SD from Baker's are next on my list.

Layne - I hear ya - I'm sure there is a certain milking of the popularity train that they're riding.

Nonetheless - you're on a forum where a pair of kudu visvim boots will run double that amount - if you're lucky... :D

I, too, think their silhouette is perfect. If white's could get something like that service boot going, i'd be all over it. but in the meantime, i'm happy with the vibergs i have and have no buyers remorse whatsoever. in the end, it all comes down to what you want.

Edit: the christy sole is probably my favourite sole :D

Edited by riff

in the end, it all comes down to what you want.

Edit: the christy sole is probably my favourite sole :D

Riff, I like your boots from the welt up :)

Haha! ;)

in the end, it all comes down to what you want.

I want to have my cake and be able to afford it too.