Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

my rw2904 after a weekend of hiking in Luxemburg

How did they hold out? Were they comfortable, did they grip well enough?

It looks like every single pair in that blog has had the sole exchanged for a thicker one.. wtf.

My tastes are old-skool, so I do like the stock Real McCoy boots from the photos.

But most of the resoles look kinda ridiculous to me, like club-kid platform styling applied to blue collar work boots. In the 90s I had 6- and 8-inch platform sneakers and engineer boots, danced and romanced with the trannies at Webster hall. But now I'm into trad. So I'm not feeling the triple-leather soles with rubber on top. Super-Cuban spike heels with front bottom sides slanting forwards. Heels like that, especially with those sharp rubber corners, catch on all kinds of things, like carpets, cuffs, denim, not to mention curbs, stairs, ledges, etc.

It looks like every single pair in that blog has had the sole exchanged for a thicker one.. wtf.

Might just be for people who are self conscious about their height. I suspect thats the reason for the triple stacked sole. Although I have to admit a double sole feels really good on dress shoes. A double looks good to me, but I would stop there.

Does anybody have tips for how to handle scuffs with shell cordovan...do I just polish it, or are there some nifty tricks to get them back to their original luster?

my rw2904 after a weekend of hiking in Luxemburg

Hey Tiro you use insoles in those?

HAve you had problems with that "joint" (don't know the correct word) that is made 'upwards', the one that starts in front of the laces and ends in your heel? After some use it rains straight inside my boots. Even worse if I walk in snow (Finland) my socks are wet after 30 seconds. I've been thinking of going to the cobblers if they could do something about it. Other than that they're very comfortable. I like the looks more than those moccasin toe ones as well.

Does anybody have tips for how to handle scuffs with shell cordovan...do I just polish it, or are there some nifty tricks to get them back to their original luster?

One of the reasons I'm not such a big fan of shell cordovan - it's less repairable. Try rubbing several light coats of Kiwi into that area, brushing (which fills the scuffed-out areas with the polish and hopefully brings them up to the surface level), then buffing with a nylon stocking or a towel strip misted with water.

After the shoe repair guy messed my Leeds up with AFTA, I had to basically send them back to Allen Edmonds for a factory reconditioning. And they *still* aren't as glossy as new. With calfskin or cowhide, they'd have another mirror shine.

^^Yeah, I notice some spots on my shell, in particular the area where my jean cuffs rub against the shoe are becoming quite dull. Even when I put some polish on it, it still doesn't have that original shine. Cow is definitely easier to shine, but still Shell never seems to get any creases.

There is one issue that comes up for me in that - if I polish these boots, I have to be really careful to not darken the stitching and the welt. That's just my take on it since these focal points of the boot aer what make it look vintage. But if I take this to a regular shoe-shine place and don't tell them anything, then after a few trips, the boots would come out a monotonic brown. I noticed that this will happen over time even with a light Kiwi tan. So this weekend I had to remove polish from the welt and stitches, and they look more distinguished that way. I'll proceed with neutral polish for a while now.

You might wonder, why all the fuss? Vintage looks and vanity! Almost every time I wear them, I get compliments on them. Can't say that about any other shoe I've ever worn!

When I polish brown shoes with neutral kiwi polish i seem to get some white residue in the creases after a couple of hours which makes the boots looking dried out. Does that happen to you?

I do agree on trying to keep the stitches white, i makes a big difference in apperance on the indy's.

can anyone reccomend me a good pair of insoles? perhaps something i can order online. my redwings are a tad too wide but fit somewhat perfectly lengthwise and i wouldnt mind something that would add to the comfort as well.

any help would be appreciated.

I worked in a factory and was on my feet all day. These were a feet saver. Super popular at the boot shop were i got my Danners, they sell alot of Red Wings there too. I think they are about $30 USD so not the cheapest but they were the best i had used.

can anyone reccomend me a good pair of insoles? perhaps something i can order online.

There are two that I really like, and I wear them in Aldens and Red Wings. Both are available with arch support and have a feel that is cushioned and form-fitting, but not bouncy, not creepy or gel-like, and won't wear out quickly or cave in with high pressure in a small area.

If you have E width or greater boots, then size up and then trim down the length to fit the shoe's footbed. This way you'll get a wider insole. It's OK if the insole is a bit shorter than the shoe, but if it's longer, then something's gonna squeeze.

Tacco - Made of leather, latex and carbon, they are available flat (#613), or with arch support (#694). The 694's are equivalent to about 1/4 to 1/2 of a shoe size. These feel elegant like wearing a dress shoe.

http://www.villageshoeservice.com/tacco.html

Mephisto Runoffs - A bit more cushioned, lots of arch support, and equivalent to 1/2 to 3/4 of a shoe size. I've worn the same pair in my RW 875s for like 18 months. They have molded to my feet like $300 orthotics.

http://mephistoxpress.stores.yahoo.net/runoffinsoles1.html

How did they hold out? Were they comfortable, did they grip well enough?

yeah they are very comfortable and the grip was excellent, then again, it was only forest, mud and natural stone that crossed my path...

Hey Tiro you use insoles in those?

HAve you had problems with that "joint" (don't know the correct word) that is made 'upwards', the one that starts in front of the laces and ends in your heel? After some use it rains straight inside my boots. Even worse if I walk in snow (Finland) my socks are wet after 30 seconds. I've been thinking of going to the cobblers if they could do something about it. Other than that they're very comfortable. I like the looks more than those moccasin toe ones as well.

don't know the word either, but I know what you mean, never had any problems with wet feet whatsoever in these tho, we don't really have any snow anymore over here, so I wouldn't know how they stand up to that...

about the insoles, yeah I wear custom made insoles in all my shoes... flatfeet...

hello, I have some questions about the White's Semi dress boot.

This one here http://shop.linegear.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=50&products_id=1423

comes with alot of options.

so what's the difference between:

standard, buffalo and french calf leather?

standard liner and leather liner?

standard and rolled top?

standard sole, single leather sole and oil proof composition sole?

what are your preferences, and what should I choose for best quality and looks? I want a black boot with black or dark sole.

I'm also wondering if you should use insoles in this boot.

thanks!

so what's the difference between:

standard, buffalo and french calf leather?

standard liner and leather liner?

standard and rolled top?

standard sole, single leather sole and oil proof composition sole?

what are your preferences, and what should I choose for best quality and looks? I want a black boot with black or dark sole.

I'm also wondering if you should use insoles in this boot.

thanks!

With Whites arch-ease support, you won't need insoles unless the boot is too big. Actually, some people don't like that maga arch support in White's, and an insole might feel like it evens it out a bit. But I found my semi dress very comfortable in the footbed and didn't use insoles.

As for the materials, start with the classic, then work to the exotic. The classic material is cowhide leather. I'd say if you want black uppers, then get regular leather and for the sole I'd say a black composition or Vibram sole goes along better than a leather sole.

Another thing to think about is where you'll wear it. Will it be dressy, casual or all around. What weather?