Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm reading through this thread and it seems like there are a ton of options.

I'm basically looking for an upgrade to the timberlands I always get. Can anyone recommend a something for someone new to hits? Nothing too formal or with a high heel....I was thinking the gentlemen traveller seems nice....price around 300. Alden also seems to be really popular..?

At the 300 dollar mark, for something that fits well and is totally functional...I don't think you can do better than the Alden 405s. They are designed on an orthopedic last and handle the kind of abuse boots are meant for very well, but they dress up splendidly, even when they have seen their fair share of wear. I also think that the construction and materials on the Alden's trumps those of the Red Wings, but I say this about Red Wing in general without having seen the Gentleman Traveler in person.

This is a fantastic thread, thanks to everyone involved. I just found it...currently on page 7, out of 123. Will buckle down & finish them all.

Before finding this thread, picked up a pair of Alden 1340. Got em one month ago from Adam of Alden of Carmel. Sounds like not everyone's a fan of the black cordo, but I love them nonetheless. Will look to getting the cordo Indy in any other color if anyone ever gets them in stock.

The folds/ripples that these cordos take on is amazing - I subscribe to the notion that shoes like these look better torn up & broken down. I bought the shoe trees & wax, but don't use them at all. Bad?

btw...thanks to refresh, Analog, & ddml.

Here's a shot after a couple of days of wear:

2237488234_44f9decab4.jpg

1 month later:

2299822265_5813d6b527.jpg

Hmm, doesn't look like much has changed. Maybe post update in a couple of years.

Not using shoe trees and resting your shoes for at least a day in between wear is bad. You will destroy your shoes from the inside. They won't get beat up looking any faster by not putting shoe trees in. The black shell looks awesome, especially on chukkas...congratulations.

My dad is a shoemaker, and he can't get Cats Paw anymore. He has one pair left in his shop.

Cat's Paw soles, now owned by Vibram (It.)/Quabaug (U.S.) have been phased out over the last 20 years. The last heels were distributed about 6-7 years ago, the last soles about 10-11 years ago. You can still order the same look on the hells and soles, soles, complete with white dots, but stamped "Biltrite." Lone Wolf/Toyo made a big order for 2000 of white-dot Cat's Paws in like year 2002 or so. If there were a big enough order, they could be -re-ordered I bet. Vibram does private-labels for lots of fashion manufacturers, including Gucci and Prada, so I hear. They even make Red Wings soles.

If wear 10.5 D in alden indys, would 10.5 D in the White's semi dress be a good fit? Can anyone provide me some sizing insight between the two? Thanks!

Yes - it's a pretty good equivalence, though the White's fit more roomily. But my experience is skewed, since the Indies are off the rack and my Whites were made to order - you know, you trace a line around your foot, and measure with a tape measure at like 6-8 places on the foot and ankle.

Sounds like not everyone's a fan of the black cordo, but I love them nonetheless. Will look to getting the cordo Indy in any other color if anyone ever gets them in stock.

Welcome to the thread! Soon to be, I hope, its own group, Superleather!

I'm one of the non-cordo fans, black or any other color. Tho I do like the cigar color of the cigar cordo Aldens, but it's because of the color, not so much the hide or texture. But your pics look very good!! Please use shoe trees. They will prevent shapelessness, but not the good lines. You can get cedar trees for $30.

They even make Red Wings soles.

I was going to go the the Red Wing store to ask if i could buy just the soles from them so i can get my dad to put them on when mine wear out. I wasn't sure what the possibility was. My grandpop said he used to put RW soles on RWs all the time years ago. My dad can't get them from his supplier though, which sucks.

Not using shoe trees and resting your shoes for at least a day in between wear is bad. You will destroy your shoes from the inside. They won't get beat up looking any faster by not putting shoe trees in. The black shell looks awesome, especially on chukkas...congratulations.

Not sure I totally agree with all of this.

How many times has a new poster posted a pic of shoes and everyone here can just tell by looking at them that they don't use trees. I do agree (in theory anyway) that trees should help shoes last longer and I certainly agree that shoes need to rest. I do think however that treed shoes and non treed shoes will visually age differently and I can see the attraction to both looks.

I think everyone should know about the advantages of tree use but I understand if someone decides not to use them.

I was going to go the the Red Wing store to ask if i could buy just the soles from them so i can get my dad to put them on when mine wear out. I wasn't sure what the possibility was. My grandpop said he used to put RW soles on RWs all the time years ago. My dad can't get them from his supplier though, which sucks.

I'm not sure but, does Red Wing rebuild boots? I think that when you wear them out, you can probably send it over to them. If not it think that the Vibram 4014 is the same crepe sole without the Red Wing logo. That sole is readily available.

I'm not sure but, does Red Wing rebuild boots? I think that when you wear them out, you can probably send it over to them. If not it think that the Vibram 4014 is the same crepe sole without the Red Wing logo. That sole is readily available.

Yes they do. When I called them about denim stains (!) I also asked them how much it costs to resole the white crepe. I'm pretty sure he said $67.50 or something. The Vibram 4014 is pretty similar but it's more rubbery and less spongy than RW's crepe. I bet it lasts longer and stains less. I'm gonna try it on my well-worn 875s one of these days (below, now worn 1 year more with more denim stains than the photo).

If anyone wants to send back to RW, here's some info:

1-800-RED-WING

1-800-733-9464 Red Wing Shoe Company

314 Main Street

Red Wing, MN 55066

875.69.gif

I think everyone should know about the advantages of tree use but I understand if someone decides not to use them.

+Rep, Greg, if I could. You always have the right info at the right moment.

familyman, I agree with you regarding shoe trees. Personally, I've noticed a big difference with shoes that I use shoe trees with. They tend to keep their shape, and look newer over the years. I used to never use them, and most of these shoes are donated or in the garbage. But, these days since I am wearing higher quality shoes, its worth it to keep them nice for many years to come.

Not sure I totally agree with all of this.

How many times has a new poster posted a pic of shoes and everyone here can just tell by looking at them that they don't use trees.

You caught me there...I definitely didn't clarify what I was getting at. I was speaking more directly to the poster asking about his month old shell Chukkas. Looking at the pics of his and looking at mine that have seen about the same wear, there is no discernible difference (other than mine having more scuffs). When the members of this board catches someone not treeing their shoes, its almost always because they are finer calfskin dress shoes that have so many deep creases it looks like someone is trying to make a taco out of them...I personally don't like that look, but can understand that some people do. With shell, I don't see much difference on the exterior from not treeing, so that seems to make not treeing (especially when you own trees) pointless. I also agree that these shoes look better as they age and are beat-up, but I think that look is more naturally and tastefully achieved through proper care and maintenance than by accelerating natural destruction by a deliberate lack of care. They were a five hundred dollar investment, and treating them properly over the years will yield a worthwhile return:

(borrowed from familyman, borrowed from a style forum user with permission)

7f35a991.jpg

My dad has the 4014s, thats what he puts on Red Wings that come to his shop, but it would be nice to get the legit ones. Especially for my RW4311...they are super light, and the 4014s would definitely add weight. One of these days I will call the number that GregNYC posted.

Here's a picture of my new stows I took when I got to tag along on a short flight. I was sitting in the jump seat. Kind of a crappy picture, but taking pics of my boots was the last thing on my mind.

02292008008yf9.jpg

Here's a couple extra pics for anyone that cares.

02292008003op0.jpg

02292008014ei9.jpg

Yikes! I'll go ahead & use the trees...I did get some Alden shoe trees along with my original order. My kids were using them as nunchucks.

With regard to my statement that I prefer tearing up/breaking down my shoes, I did not mean that I abuse the shoes to achieve an aesthetic. I buy very few items for myself - few pairs of denim, a pair of shoes a year, a watch every 10 - but almost all are relatively expensive & renowned for their quality & durability.

As a result, I have no qualms in subjecting them to my daily rigors - I trust that the reputation that precedes these items are well deserved. Subsequently, I let them fall in to the slipstream of my life without reservation.

However, if by treeing the shoes, I'll gain substantial more life out of them, I'll do it. If these shoes can survive as long as my 10 pairs of socks (proportionally in terms of cost) I bought en masse at Marshall Field's 5 years ago, I'll be impressed. These things, unlike the worthless, countless Gold Toes, never have had their heels darned and are still going strong as of today.

Nevertheless, great insight & highly appreciated. btw, the curl/warp of the shoe from the middle to the toe is borne from a lot of crouching. I'm always on my haunches, because of my kids or activities, & as a result, the shoes have taken on a patina from my life.

Nevertheless, great insight & highly appreciated. btw, the curl/warp of the shoe from the middle to the toe is borne from a lot of crouching. I'm always on my haunches, because of my kids or activities, & as a result, the shoes have taken on a patina from my life.

My #8 indies do the same thing for the same reason. If you tree the shoes pretty quickly after you take them off the curl will reduce quite dramatically.

I went to the J. Crew store in NYC and they said the Red Wings are in the catalogue only. I asked if they had E widths. No, he said, only D's, or as J. Crew calls it, "M." But in the store I saw several models of suede bucks (like saddle shoes) with Dainite soles with the J. Crew logo on them. They tie in nicely with their midmarket preppy look.

67335_BR6332.jpg

and why not an indy update:

day 1

:IMG_0035.jpg

2.5 years later:

IMG_0299.jpg

sorry the second pic sucks. don't really need to be singing alden's praises to anyone here, point is they're going strong and gonna last a lifetime. twice re-heeled, a quick mid-tan shine every month or two, and a bunch of new laces.. and that's it