Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Wow Greg, those sound like they are going to be phenomenal. Depending on how these turn out, I might have to get a brown ultimate Indy boot and do something similar. Do you know if those leather soles are the same as the premium one that Greg@Eddie's was talking about?

^^Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the same sole. I told them about Eddie's, and they thought that the premium German soles will be the same ones. But here, at B. Nelson they had them in stock already, and he took it out, slapped it on the counter and we talked about it, looked at its thickness and how it would match up with the welt, etc. A little piece of shoe-geek heaven....

Hey, anyone hear of Real McCoy boots? Relation to RMJP? Another by Toyo?

http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goods/d/realmoon.co.jp/g/MA6010/index.shtml#

===================

BTW, I think I'm gonna sell my Cat's Paw Indies (8.5EEE) and Cat's Paw Whites (9.5E). $300 for both pairs, $175 for just one - plus shipping. They're a bit small for me. I talked to Ralph at Alden, who knows shoe fitting really well (he says he studied orthopedic shoe fitting) and the Indies are too small even though the feel OK. Going up to 9.5 feels much better!

If I do another Cat's Paw job, it will go to Greg. He has an artist's eye!

Those McCoys look pretty cool...not sure if they are RMJP, but that would definitely make sense. Seeing those got me to thinking about buying a pair of Red Wings to have resoled etc. It seems to me the Red Wings are an ideal platform, because of the cheaper initial cost...however its hard for me to find Red Wings that fit.

Shit, Greg that sounds like an awesome project. If they can pull this off they'll be getting some extra business. Man thats a great price on those shoes you're selling. If only my feet weren't so slender and dainty.

I think there was a thread that had this link.

I don't think its a Toyo brand. Boots are crazy anyway.

Thanks, one thing I like about B. Nelson is that they actually had a finished pair, soled almost the exact way I was thinking of doing - except his had a lower grade of sole material. Still looked great. I was glad to see a sample of their work beforehand...

Thanks for the link.

Demonito - I didn't gather that they were horsehide/shell. But the price seems to fit. I'd rather have Lone Wolfs at their price, since overall, I prefer calf to shell. I still need to order my LW Carpenters, might try it this weekend.

thats nice greg lemme know what happens..on those lonewolfs.. mine is on its way here and i got a engineer boots too they were on sale i thjink cause of some minor defects on the boots..

anyways hmm those indy's im eyeeeing your indy's .. tempting

I am gradually improving my handiness with my camera...these shots are a lot better than the ones I took before...and the shots of the cigar and calfskin together offer a pretty decent comparison. Also, these photos make it apparent that I need to step up my polishing game with my Cigar shells.

fdf28c08.jpg

95bcc6ee.jpg

e33e94ae.jpg

29049292.jpg

08ee7472.jpg

c8f66cda.jpg

Superleather Indies

-Double-leather soles with high-grade German Rendenbach oak-tanned leather, one of the world's best (used by Edward Green)

http://lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/index_gb.html

-Full leather R.B. heel w/ metal V-plate over the strike zone

-Same welt as the Indies, and they'll keep the Indy welt if possible

-Sole heavily stitched into an inset leather gutter, the Alden does it

-Heel nailed on, also features brass tacks

-Neutral edge dressing!

But I found a place here in NYC that has been around over 100 years. What convinced me to get the work done there is that they had a pair of Florsheims re-soled in a very similar way, and seem to understand what I wanted. Allen Edmunds takes their shoes there occasionally for recrafting, and according to AE, these guys are one of the few places that can repair damage to uppers.

Check 'em out: B. Nelson Shoe Recrafters

We'll see!

You can't go wrong with the Rendenbach soles. They're supposed to be tough as nails and the best leather soles one can buy these days. I've been thinking of taking my RM Williams Craftsman there for resoling with these soles when the time comes.

When you said you found a place here in NYC, I knew that it had to be B. Nelson. They're consistently ranked among the best shoe repair available in NYC.

I'm tellin' you greg... get them in an 11C and when you're done just sell them to me...

Awesome idea! Can't wait to see them.

TMADD i love the cigar indys...

I just bought two new pairs of LVC... 55's and 37's. I think it'll be nice to see some dark indigo next to my 405s...

Those are awesome...and the fit pic is fantastic. I have something like that on the way, but in a far less interesting/original color.

Tyler

Great color combo. I'm personally not a fan of the double leather and rubber. It's just a bit much. Might be because I have small feet and I know that a very thick sole looks silly on me. Good looking boot.

I agree that it can be a bit much, but I think it looks a lot better in person than in pictures. Also, the only way I have seen it that I like it is when the double leather has a light or natural edgetrim so that there is the crazy layering effect that can be seen in so many of the different photos in Lightning. That said, I am still going Single Leather on my Cats Paw Smoke Jumpers.

thats nice greg lemme know what happens..on those lonewolfs.. mine is on its way here and i got a engineer boots too they were on sale i thjink cause of some minor defects on the boots..

anyways hmm those indy's im eyeeeing your indy's .. tempting

Is that a picture of Takeshi's smoke jumpers?

Anyway I'm curious about the fit of the LW Engineers. Do happen to know if they are sized up like RW's? Also did they come in a D width?

That said, I am still going Single Leather on my Cats Paw Smoke Jumpers.

I think single leather looks the best on White's Boots. Everything else looks too much like a platform shoe or way too much for every day wear.

Bill showed me a shaved down Cat's Paw that looked really nice. Half as thick as the usual sole and didn't take away from the natural up turn of the boot.

Cat's Paw Smoke Jumpers. Wow, I wanna see them there!

I agree with youse guys about the rubber on top of the double leather, a bit much, though it does look better in person.

As for the shaved down sole, that speaks to the thin-soled look of the GT's, which, to me, are about the most authentic vintage-work-wear looking sole among the Indies, Whites and RWs.

1911.profile.gif

1911.sole.gif

1911.jeans1.gif

It's really too bad they don't put a stacked leather heel on the GT. That would make it perfect.

I agree. Now I am going to feel stupid for asking this...but after looking at Greg's pictures, it appears there is a brown GT...if that is the case, I have completely ignored a boot I would definitely like to own.

Tyler

I agree. Now I am going to feel stupid for asking this...but after looking at Greg's pictures, it appears there is a brown GT...if that is the case, I have completely ignored a boot I would definitely like to own.

Tyler

I have a brown GT, the 1908. They look like this:

DSCN0516.jpg

They're getting pretty beat up. Is it time for some maintenance?