Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks for all the kind words everybody, and the rep.

This man has a great taste in boots. They are evolving very nicely, keep it up.

By the way, since you've been wearing them have they gotten less noisy when you're walking?

Yours did that too? mine are just now getting quiet, I feel like it was the heel that was making the weird noise but I dont know. It never really bothered me much. I thought some of the noise might have stemmed from an incident where I jumped out of my band's van and the heel got hooked on some plastic part near the door and ripped the heel partway off. the nails were visible and such, but I just stomped it back on. it seems to be fine now.

erk - personally I've always felt it a waste to spend the extra money on extra special deluxe ultimate custom Indy boots (or whatever they're called) for basically just a browner 405 boot (I know there are other things but that's the main idea). I say just polish the regular ones from time to time with Kiwi Brown. It does wonders. That's what I did to the pair I had a few years back when the expensive brown ones started showing up. To me they looked (atleast) just as good and were a lot cheaper. Besides this way there's a bit of a russett undertone to them, that I prefer to a more solid color. I know... to each his own, anyway yours look awesome, good job !! And regarding your rough outs... wow, I've considered many times getting a pair of those, I think your pics may have officially put 'em on my list. Did you treat them with anything, dubbing, olive oil, etc? Doesn't really look like it, just wondering.

Yeah, I agree about the fancy 405s. Although I do really like the ultimate indys by leather soul, Alden has updated the footbalance line with leather linings now, and the 403 in chromexcel is perfect in my opinion. I probably wont buy a new pair for a long time, but I really like the new 403.

the rough outs are pretty nice. the fit is definitely not as refined as the 405 but its good enough. I treated them with 3 or 4 coats of sno seal right when I got em out of the box. I might do it again soon.

Erk, your 405 is awesome!

Talking about Indy, i saw that there is the 405 low cut in leathersoul right now. I am very interest in those but really dont know i should get it or not. Because i always wear RW875 (8130 actually) when i was little and my first impression of that is the 405 and 875 looks similar with the white stiching stuff like that...( iknow i am so wrong...)

Also, they only have D width and i wear 8C in whites and redwings, and dont know the size fit or not. Never have a pair of alden before..

also, i really cant decide between the chukka or the 405 low cut but the 405 low seems to be a much more rare one...

someone please advise regards to sizing ,

i am so stressfulll...really dont know i should get it or not..

thanks fattyb. I wouldn't worry about the styles looking similar. anyways the white stitching turns dark after the first application of shoe polish, which I think looks a lot better.

403 ? I don't recall that boot at all, but now I'm really curious. A search didn't turn up anything on it, do you have a picture or link ?

http://blog.leffot.com/2009/09/29/three-little-indy-ans/

dsc_00032.jpg

403 404 405 - all are leather lined now.

wow, $12 Gokeys, awesome score!!! That is a pretty nice looking chukka.

So, I love my new White's so much I need another pair. Downside to ordering leather soles for my first pair when it is December in Wisconsin is that I likely won't be able to really wear them much until spring. So, I'm going to order a pair specifically for winter weather. I'm thinking black dress leather vamp, black bull hide shaft, with brown edge finish and tan lining. Problem is what sole for winter weather (snow)? I'm thinking maybe the 430 mini-lug might be the best, but the 700 looks ok too.

Anybody have experience with either of these in the snow?

Just checked out the Red-Wing Store in Berlin. Talked to the dude, he was super cool. They carry a lot of the shoes that are only available in the EU and Japan, including some of the crepe soled GTs and Iron Rangers, which were incredibly nice. He basically wears them in hardcore and then displays them next to the actual ones, which I thought was dedicated.

According to him, the crepe soled GTs (Not the vibram cristy wedge, nor the clarks type, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about) are much easier to break in than the normal GTs and thus were much comfortable.

Either way, they were sick, and so was the store. Should definitely visit if you ever happen to pass by Berlin.

Christmas came early yesterday..

Bean Boots..

_IGP2304.jpg

Medine - I LOVE bean's boots. I have a pair just like yours but slightly shorter version. I used to wear them more than my Aldens in the cooler months, they need a resole now (yes that IS possible, bean offers the service IIRC). These things look great with the wider leg LVCs and khakis, etc. and are super comfy, IMHO. Good to see I'm not alone in likeing the Bean boots.

Medine - I LOVE bean's boots. I have a pair just like yours but slightly shorter version. I used to wear them more than my Aldens in the cooler months, they need a resole now (yes that IS possible, bean offers the service IIRC). These things look great with the wider leg LVCs and khakis, etc. and are super comfy, IMHO. Good to see I'm not alone in likeing the Bean boots.

I love Bean Boots too. My dad used to wear them and my mom wears the mocs all the time. I'd like to buy a pair for the winter. Which version would you recommend, I saw there were different options like Thinsulate etc.