Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

If you can or want to post pics of your vintage/classic (>25 years old) sneakers, I'm all about it. It's cool to see vintage construction, regardless of use.

Superdenim is mostly about emulating vintage construction with superior modern materials, workmanship, and styling, so why should shoes that live up to those ideals be excluded? Cheep gets it.

Anyway, the CEO/head designer of Nike was just in 'Interview,' he states how making things ugly on purpose because making a statement instead of style on its own has been an important part of Nike development for the past 20 years, which is interesting to have come straight from the source.

I actually tried on my own pair of Alden tankers with a pair of flathead BSP's yesterday. I will say that the boots are fairly wide and chunky boots, and will look bigger on your feet than the photoshop pics posted. Not a bad thing by any means. The aberdeen last that is being sold by Shoemart should be narrower looking than the ones on the barrie last in the same labeled width.

i love the look and feel of leather soles, but i can't imagine wearing them on snow n ice

If you're used to wearing leather soles, wearing leather soles in snow and ice is fine. I just wouldn't recommend beginners attempt it. At this point, I don't really have any shoes with commando soles on them and I'm fine throughout the winter. My technique is to make sure to plant the whole foot down securely (not just the heel) before picking up the other foot with your center of gravity directly over your feet as much as possible. (This is all a smart idea even with a commando sole.)

My 405s are definitely my most comfortable boots.

I forget how comfortable the 405s are. I usually wear one of my shell Indys, but I just put on my 405s for the first time in months and they're just amazingly comfortable. Probably even more comfortable than my #8 Indy boots, which is probably the pair I wear most often.

Speaking of 405's...just got a new pair today and they were from the new line...ie; leather lining! Pics in a bit...

EDIT/Crosspost from FH tour thread:

I dropped by my local cobbler today to pick up...my new Alden 405's! Apparently I was lucky enough to receive a pair from the new stock which means...leather lining! I was surprised when Tony (from Cobbler's Corner in Northville, one of the few Alden retailers in Michigan) brought them out...I thought that maybe I received a special pair but nope! Anyways, Tony is such a good guy he threw in two horsehair brushes and neutral meltonian polish plus a polish rag for free...now thats good business! All in all I'm satisfied with this pair and it seems Alden is taking it up a notch with their foot balance line...

IMG_8833.jpg

Free stuff

IMG_8835.jpg

Flash

IMG_8840.jpg

No flash

IMG_8844.jpg

Leather lining!

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8856.jpg

Very nice stitching...have they also taken up a notch the quality control?

IMG_8862.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

If you can or want to post pics of your vintage/classic (>25 years old) sneakers, I'm all about it. It's cool to see vintage construction, regardless of use.

Superdenim is mostly about emulating vintage construction with superior modern materials, workmanship, and styling, so why should shoes that live up to those ideals be excluded? Cheep gets it.

Although I get your point, I'm going to have to disagree. For me, the key here is 'BETTER with AGE'.

Well constructed shoes or boots, be they White's, Alden or fine English made shoes are built to last a lifetime from high quality skin. They develop a patina over years or decades of good treatment and care.

Maybe I go against popular opinion in saying that wrecked, scuffed and abused boots don't do anything for me, neither do dirty ones as we have seen posted recently. The same goes for sneakers. The examples of sneakers we have seen lately are not patinated, just old and dirty. Patina comes with polishing and gradual wear and importantly for me good care. Just like antique furniture, it can't be rushed or faked.

Anyway it's all just my rambling opinion and I'm drunk.

very nice aho! how much more did they cost you compared to the canvas lined Indy boots?

btw epaulet just released their take on the Indy boot; the officers indy with double leather sole , chrome excel leather etc; looks very nice imo

f_jh1kbnuer1lm_3ebe335.jpg

very nice aho! how much more did they cost you compared to the canvas lined Indy boots?

Thanks I'm enjoying them very much...As far as pricing, they cost the exact same price as the Cotton Duck lining ones since the leather lining is replacing it for the newer line...

hooligan, I'm sure its easier to get the regular "old" stock ones since that's what all the stores are carrying as of now. Not sure when everyone gets their new shipments in but my pair was ordered direct from the Alden factory through my Alden dealer so I guess I got lucky!

btw epaulet just released their take on the Indy boot; the officers indy with double leather sole , chrome excel leather etc; looks very nice imo

f_jh1kbnuer1lm_3ebe335.jpg

Gorgeous. The Indy works really well on the double leather sole. Looks like the leathersoul cordovan indy's, but in that pretty pull-up leather

Very nice stitching...have they also taken up a notch the quality control?

The new 405s look like they've got much better stitching than the 2 pairs of the old 405s that I've got. I would also agree that the worst part about the original 405s was the cotton duck linings. (I haven't worn mine enough to wear out the linings though. I just prefer leather.)

They develop a patina over years or decades of good treatment and care.

Maybe I go against popular opinion in saying that wrecked, scuffed and abused boots don't do anything for me, neither do dirty ones as we have seen posted recently.

fre$sco, you and I tend to be on the same page. I try to take good care of my shoes as well since I think it will be better in the long run. I have been tempted at times to maybe buy a pair of White's semi-dress and to go ahead and let it get scuffed up. It is a certain aesthetic that I can appreciate sometimes... I guess maybe the term wabi-sabi would apply here.

btw epaulet just released their take on the Indy boot; the officers indy with double leather sole , chrome excel leather etc;

That has to be the best looking non-cordovan Indy that I've seen yet. Too bad they don't have my size. I'll probably seriously consider the new 403 at some point as a substitute. (And I should probably have some non-double leather soled shoes.)

Although I get your point, I'm going to have to disagree. For me, the key here is 'BETTER with AGE'.

Even, if you are drunk, I agree with your post. I don't have anything against old shoes. They have aesthetic value also. But for me, nothing beats an old pair of shoes that have been properly taken care of.

Speaking of shoe polish, I just got some work boots shined at Brift H in Omotesando.

It's probably the coolest, most comfortable shoe shine I ever had. It's counter stye, so you have to take them off. They really dug my work boots because they are so used to seeing dress shoes all day. They also had a bunch of beautiful English and American used shoes on sale, and of course, kept in impeccable condition.

brift1.jpg

brift2.jpg

they remind me alot of the ultimate indies, but I like the soles on those better, might have to get me a pair of 405's with leather lining in the future tho, to rotate with the ultimate's :D

btw fre$co, I agree with you completely, aged shoes are a thing of beauty, beat-up shoes so much less... but I have the same take on jeans, don't like them ripped to shreds either, like some do...

So, opinions on this, my desert boot soles have now split from side to side on the bottoms and anytime it's wet outside my feet get soaked. Resoling them costs almost as much as a new pair. Hmmm what to do?

(I know the obvious answer of "upgrade to redwings/Alden/whites/etc but I'm broke as hell)

Hi, I'm new to boots and I know this sizing problem has been discussed so many times, but i just want to make sure.

I want to get redwing GTs 9011, but in cultizm there are no US 10, only US9.5 and 10.5

I have 1907 I 9.5 and they snug, so what size for GTs would u guys recommend?