Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

How do you know when a boot is too far gone? For example, browsing ebay, one comes across a pair of vintage leather boots/shoes that are tempting. You would only have the picture in auction to go by. Are there any signs/things to watch out for? Do we know how far the magic of Obenauf's can go in bringing a boot back to life?

Any hints, tips advice...

Check that there are no cracks in the vamp. Make sure the vamp has not separated from the welt. No holes in the leather. Soles will be the cheapest thing to replace. If you plan on wearing them as is, no fixes, make sure the heel is in good condition. You want a boot or shoe to stand flat. If one side is excessively worn, the boot will be uncomfortable. Actually soles aren't the cheapest thing to replace, heels are. As for dry leather, there are plenty of treatments that will bring a boot "back to life."

heartbreakd.th.jpg

These are my semi-dress, five months old, tops. I can't tell if the leather is simply pulling away from the welt or if it has actually torn. However, I've had to stop wearing them, as the hole has gotten worse. On Monday I'll call Whites to see what they can do for me.

They finally broke in to be the most comfortable pieces of footwear I own, so I hope this is a matter of a simple, free repair.

Those Clipper/RJB saddles are of amazing quality, i'm getting a pair in red/black this fall when they release the new line.

I have the one pair, but I"m really on the hunt for a navy blue with off white in around an 11ish size.

I wear mine with jeans (cuffed of course like yours) and either an oxford or polo type shirt. Plus if I wear one of my Nat Nast's they look great also!

I think they'll be coming back strong once people remember how great they look...

Those Clipper/RJB saddles are of amazing quality, i'm getting a pair in red/black this fall when they release the new line.

where can one get such things? i would kill for red/black saddle shoes.

nah superfeet is not a goood choice i suggest spenco regular ones or the ones with arc support

I totally agree, SPENCO makes really good ones. I have them in most of my boots. Also, FYI, Wesco makes some really good one for your engineers boots. You can order them directly from the web site. The cheaper insoles just get destroyed after a month of wear.

I totally agree, SPENCO makes really good ones. I have them in most of my boots. Also, FYI, Wesco makes some really good one for your engineers boots. You can order them directly from the web site. The cheaper insoles just get destroyed after a month of wear.

i'll keep that in mind. I have a high arch, I think I'm going to get my boots vertically stretched at BNelson's.

I havent' got a quote from him, yet, but what should I be thinking is a good deal for stretching boots vertically, at the highest point of the arch of my foot?

hello everyone, I think its not the best place to post my question but I couldn't find any Red Wing official thread so forgive me, im unsure about sizing on Red Wing Chukkas, this specific model: http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p367_RED-WING-BOOTS---3140-CLASSIC-WORK-CHUKKA---Oro-iginal.html

I wear uk 10.5 (us 11.5) in nikes and vans, it seems that everyone is telling to size down (full size/half) with red wings, should I be okay with uk 10 us 11 size in this model, anyone have experience with this boot? Thanks in advance...!

cheers