Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I would love to hear your experience...and see pics of your AF60s.
hold up. where did you get the AF60s in #8?
He has the same boots I do

leonard is right..for some reason I assumed that the LS Dress Boot in the plaza last was identical to Carmel's AF60...

*edit ?uestionmark just told me of all of the differences between them.

sorry for the confusion.

and as far as using neutral polish, it worked very well and required a very small amount of polish (and a relatively small amount of polishing as well...compared to my other shoes anyways) to get a huge amount of shine. the only reason I didnt get the cordovan polish is because I thought it would considerably darken them.

I'll try the cordovan polish now.

this is thems:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1277263&postcount=9124

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?itemdescription=true&itemCount=10&startValue=1&selectedProductColor=&sortby=&id=15027295&parentid=M_SHOES_BOOTS&sortProperties=+product.marketingPriority,-product.startDate&navCount=12&navAction=poppushpush&color=

I need an opinion on these. I know that Urban Outfitters is not liked around here, but this is the only site I've found so far that carries the Timberland Abington Collection that isn't in the city. I like the fact that it's in my price range $200 and under and also like that it's a classic take on the old fashion boots that Timberland made at one point.

Is it worth the $185 for it or should I save up for some Red Wings for that matter, since I'm going for a classic work boot look.

All right!

Wanted to share the most beautiful experience I ever had, and also the worst in some ways.

Went to Antomica (Paris) yesterday to see what they were talking about with their modified last.

So I was wearing my usual Indys in 10.5 D that I bought in the NYC Store, and that the salesman helped me to size.

When I arrived at Anatomica (first time) I ask one of the salesman to tell me more about that modified last and in no time I had a pair of Cordovan plain toe on my feet, but the thing is that the size was 11,5 C.

When he looked at my feet (wearing the indys) he could already tell they were misfitted, too short and too wide.

He took my measures with the same thing they use at the Alden store in NYC, and tells me my real size is an 11,5C.

I was like WHAT??

From what I understood, everything is about the arch of the foot. With the modified last the arch is a lot more pronounced and your feet are way more maintained.

From the moment I put the boots on, I felt I never wore shoes of the right size.

He explained me that with the other lasts and depending on the foot, people usually wear shoes that are too short and too wide.

He also explained me that if you have a very pronounced arch your foot will appear shorter than its real length and that it is something we must take in account when sizing a shoe. O fcourse this is my case.

So from what I understand, everything is about the arch with the modified last, and I must say that it changes a life.

They are the most important retailers of the modified last. They told me the production was quite long and delays were about 8 months. Thank god they have a little stock.

The modified lasts are more expansive comparing to the standard lasts you people find in the US but about the same for us in Europe. 650€ for a pair of cordo boots, 560 for a pair of Indys (that one is way overpriced in my opinion especially when I see what the canvas can do on people that sweat and even if the leather is different and more of an oily leather) but the fit is wonderful.

Conclusion: That's a lot of money, but the fit is almost like a bespoke shoe and, in my opinion it's well worth a 100 more. Waiting for the begining of the year and I hope they'll still have a pair in my size. Don't want to wait 8 months!

I hope that my English wasn't too hard to understand. I'm not used to write such long essays anymore.

I had a similar experience when I first got my 405s. I wasn't able to try them on cause I live in north carolina where there is only one really crappy alden dealer near me. So I had my foot measured there...big mistake. The guy measured me with a brannock device and told me I needed an 10.5C. So I ordered that size cause all i've heard told me that they run true to brannock size. So I got my shoes a few months later and they definately didn't fit. Because of this guy it took me forever to figure out what shoe size I was. Until I decided to get my foot measured at a orthopedic shoe store a few hours from where I live. She told me 11.5B. So I ordered, the shoes came, and fit perfectly. The guy at the alden dealer measured my foot from heel to toe and not heel to ball, which is apparently the only measurement that matters (besides width).

I had a similar experience when I first got my 405s. I wasn't able to try them on cause I live in north carolina where there is only one really crappy alden dealer near me. So I had my foot measured there...big mistake. The guy measured me with a brannock device and told me I needed an 10.5C. So I ordered that size cause all i've heard told me that they run true to brannock size. So I got my shoes a few months later and they definately didn't fit. Because of this guy it took me forever to figure out what shoe size I was. Until I decided to get my foot measured at a orthopedic shoe store a few hours from where I live. She told me 11.5B. So I ordered, the shoes came, and fit perfectly. The guy at the alden dealer measured my foot from heel to toe and not heel to ball, which is apparently the only measurement that matters (besides width).

same here,but with rw 1908.cultizm offered them €100,- cheaper than in shops in hamburg,went in one ,they measured my feet and talked me into a size 9,in which they had only the 1911 which run a bit larger than the 1908,they fit snug but the salesman said they fit perfect and will stretch,ordered a 9 from cultizm,they fit even smaller.naive as i was then i walked 6 months in boots that didnt fit,what they do now but still snug and iam not able to put any insoles in.ordered later a pair of 1911 in 9.5 which fit perfect.

well,just my experience..

Question: I've got some desert boots in the brown suede that i have been really beating up. They're starting to look pretty nice and the suede looks a bit more like smoother leather (pardon me, I'm not deep into shoes...yet). I never gave them a water seal out of mostly laziness but also because I wasn't sure that's what I wanted to do to them. I want to make sure these last a while. What ought I do to continue aging these without cracking and drying the leather?

It was a bust.

Shoes were not close enough to the measurements that were listed in the description. I'm a size 9 and my female co-worker, who is a size 7.5, said they were squishing her toes front to back and side to side.

They did look cool.

Oh well, at least the seller takes returns....

i too am a believer of this last. changes a life for sure. well not a life, but the misconception of my shoe size at least.

All right!

Wanted to share the most beautiful experience I ever had, and also the worst in some ways.

Went to Antomica (Paris) yesterday to see what they were talking about with their modified last.

So I was wearing my usual Indys in 10.5 D that I bought in the NYC Store, and that the salesman helped me to size.

When I arrived at Anatomica (first time) I ask one of the salesman to tell me more about that modified last and in no time I had a pair of Cordovan plain toe on my feet, but the thing is that the size was 11,5 C.

When he looked at my feet (wearing the indys) he could already tell they were misfitted, too short and too wide.

He took my measures with the same thing they use at the Alden store in NYC, and tells me my real size is an 11,5C.

I was like WHAT??

From what I understood, everything is about the arch of the foot. With the modified last the arch is a lot more pronounced and your feet are way more maintained.

From the moment I put the boots on, I felt I never wore shoes of the right size.

He explained me that with the other lasts and depending on the foot, people usually wear shoes that are too short and too wide.

He also explained me that if you have a very pronounced arch your foot will appear shorter than its real length and that it is something we must take in account when sizing a shoe. O fcourse this is my case.

So from what I understand, everything is about the arch with the modified last, and I must say that it changes a life.

They are the most important retailers of the modified last. They told me the production was quite long and delays were about 8 months. Thank god they have a little stock.

The modified lasts are more expansive comparing to the standard lasts you people find in the US but about the same for us in Europe. 650€ for a pair of cordo boots, 560 for a pair of Indys (that one is way overpriced in my opinion especially when I see what the canvas can do on people that sweat and even if the leather is different and more of an oily leather) but the fit is wonderful.

Conclusion: That's a lot of money, but the fit is almost like a bespoke shoe and, in my opinion it's well worth a 100 more. Waiting for the begining of the year and I hope they'll still have a pair in my size. Don't want to wait 8 months!

I hope that my English wasn't too hard to understand. I'm not used to write such long essays anymore.

hello,

been reading this thread for a couple of weeks, great stuff!

Now, for the europeans, or germans, or berliners, hanging around this thread, do you have any good boot spots in berlin to go to? I'm spending a week there around new years eve. i've read about burg und schild and some other stores, any trift/second hand store tips?

I have a question about conditioning old boots.

I have used snoseal before to protect new boots but I have now gotten hold of some really old boots that are very worn, similar to these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330277205946&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123 .

can I use snoseal safely without altering the beat brown color all too much?

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=90

whats the sizing like on these aldens?im uk 10.5 in trickers etc any adivice be great as i read alden sizing is quite irregular

hey I would try 10.5 D to start with, then up and down size 0.5 a width, then try slightly wider and narrower if you have the opportunity. I don't own any trickers, but I am a good size 8 UK medium width in Church's shoes, and a size 8 D in Aldens. you are in NYC right, there's no excuse to not go to the store to try them on in person. good luck

Do you guys know the cheapest place I could find a pair of Brown Corcoran Jump Boots?

My size isn't coming up on ebay, and they seem pretty rare there.

Any stores in NYC that anyone know of? Online, the cheapest I could find is 120 + shipping.

Black corcoran boots go for ridiculously cheap on ebay as compared to the brown pairs.