Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I use waxed cotton lacing I buy locally from a shoe repair... it gives the boot more of a shoe appearance (not necessarily a plus!). It has no tips, so you buy it by the inch so it's infinitely adjustable. It's stronger than Alden's stock Indy laces and doesn't wear out very easily. It has the main property you want from waxed lacing, non-slippage.

Those laces sound very good! I actually think that the shoe-like laces of the GTs lend an extra bit of class to those boots in a way that would otherwise be lacking. That sort of lace nicely complements the "not quite a work boot, yet not quite a dress boot" vibe of both GTs and Indys.

Would you mind giving the details of where (I assume in NYC) you buy these laces -- what colors do they come in and how much do they charge per inch? Does the lack of tips cause fraying at the ends? Please feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks for more great info as usual, Greg!

flex0r: I didn't mean it as a dig at you. I am of the opinion that the indies, especially the ultimate indies with the higher quality build, lush shiny leather and calf lining are a cut above the ordinary work boot, like say a redwing 875.

I don't suggest they need to be babied like a dress shoe, but I wouldn't wear them for something heavyduty when I have redwings for that.

I think an indy that is worn hard but well maintained is the nicest.

Amlai: I did go hiking in them, and some minor rock climbing to get to the base of Yosemite falls. Support wasn't an issue at all, they hugged my ankles really well, I just wish I had waxed laces so I wouldn't have to re-tie.

Cushioning...i'm not sure. I took a few small jumps in them during the aforementioned climbing without any real pain, and by the end of the day my feet were in some pain, but that might be from being on my feet/walking/climbing for about 10 hours or so. No soreness at all today though! So yes, I would do it again.

The fact that they were pretty pricey is kind of disheartening, but these are not dressy boots, and I feel like they are meant to be worn hard, just like our pricey Japanese denim. I decided early on that these weren't going to be polished and dressed up, just oiled occasionally. No way I would take some cordovan, or even some of the other Aldens up there though...

I've hiked in my GTs numerous times, and Pecards gets those scuffs out pretty well, I find.

i have a little problem with some loose thread on the toebox any advice?

if you take a flame to them the tiny loose threads will burn off. Don't leave it on for long though... just a quick pass should work.

Would you mind giving the details of where (I assume in NYC) you buy these laces -- what colors do they come in and how much do they charge per inch? Does the lack of tips cause fraying at the ends? Please feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks for more great info as usual, Greg!

The price is reasonable. It's my buds at B. Nelson. they have brown and black, period. There are other places selling this lacing, but theirs is the highest quality I've seen.

http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/

Took some family portraits today..... Closeups first, group shot last....

IMG_0890.jpg

(from back left)

Russell Cavalier

Georgia Engineer

Rattlesnake

Corcoran Jump Boots

Unknown vintage Plain toe, two buckle Jump Boots

White's Lace to Toe Smokejumpers

IMG_0891.jpg

White's Regular Toe S. Jumper

Brown Water Buffalo Semi Dress

Distressed Roughout Semi Dress

Custom "Julian" Captoe fell walking boots w/horseshoe heels

Regular old beater Semi Dress

Beater 875's

Indy's

*not shown: the RW 8166's on my feet presently, and my nubuck RW Engineer boots, at Eddie's for reheeling....

IMG_0889.jpg

i have a little problem with some loose thread on the toebox any advice?

It shouldn't matter since you will never wear the shoes and they will be for display only.

if you take a flame to them the tiny loose threads will burn off. Don't leave it on for long though... just a quick pass should work.

That's an old service trick too. We used to call those loose threads "rappelling ropes for fleas"

ohh stop being jealous..

I am actually jealous of amlai's collection, yours just seems thrown together in a hurry, like you didn't know what to spend your money on so you bought the farm instead.

why would you buy 1 mercedes when you can buy them all eh?so jealousy is the key? to hate? anyways ill try to flame up the threads a bit

why would you buy 1 mercedes when you can buy them all eh?so jealousy is the key? to hate? anyways ill try to flame up the threads a bit

I don't know if you did it on purpose, but "flame up the threads" actually strikes me as a really clever and funny pun in the context of this forum.

Guest kyotousa

you rather buy a bunch of scooters than a real car? :eek:

Seriously rnrswitch, I don't know what your problem is with Edmond and quite frankly I don't care, but I'm getting bored of you constantly shitting up this and other threads with your bitching. Keep it in pm if you want to have a fight.

In other news, for replacement indy laces in the UK, there is a brand called shoestring that have a waxed brown boot lace that are a little thicker than the Alden ones, these are very good.

Good to know, getting closer...

Anyone, any suggestion in Paris? :( (If any French people)

Can't find anything that satisfies me and my laces are getting worst.

I don't understand why they don't put those waxed laces on the regular indys, people might have told them they were breaking fast.

Guest kyotousa
bullshit

your post is nothing you have 2 red peens

haha I ain't the dude who would choose 30 scooters over a Mercedes tho.

Some people really like this rep system :cool:

Guest kyotousa

demonito is hilarious

demonito: "man pls shut up youdont know how capable i am of buying everything you dont know.."

rofl....you gonna buy 1 million scooters or wat?