Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ man, combined with the cordovan wax, new laces and new soles (are the heels slightly cubaned?) -- they look quite different from recent standard 405s. the stitching job around the welt looks so perfect.

and i love the diversity of your collection. each pair is quite different from the others. :cool:

Woah, that tongue is pretty cool. None of my Aldens have this on the inner-lining. You wouldn't see it on the shell Indy boots because they line the tongues as well, hiding the backside of the shell.

It's not the tongues that are stamped, it is the full hides themselves. Whether you see the stamp on the tongue is pretty much by chance.

^ man, combined with the cordovan wax, new laces and new soles (are the heels slightly cubaned?) -- they look quite different from recent standard 405s. the stitching job around the welt looks so perfect.

and i love the diversity of your collection. each pair is quite different from the others. :cool:

Man, I can't leave that stuff alone. Even all my guitars are hot-rodded somehow, therefore devaluing them tremendously. I believe he likes to "cuban" most of the heels he works on. I think unless I tell him not to, he automatically cubans them. (If you look on his blog, he does all types of things with the heels.)

I know some people like to collect things that are similar, but I kind of dig trying out different shoes. I don't really baby my boots, but I do enjoy taking care of them.(wash, polish, shoe trees, etc.) I think the challenge for me is to try and see how long I can make these boots last.

Timberland the biggest Horween customer? And maybe even they can't keep Horween in business?

Coleslaw - those are some of the sharpest looking 405s I've seen yet! The color, the crisp neat welt, and the Bob stitch. Great taste!!

LeicaLad - about lace-up boots in Buddhist locales... I feel ya. Even here in New York, I've been teaching Buddhism at a Tibetan school. Most folks pop in and out of their loafers or flip-flops. I usually shlump down to unlace my boots, apologizing for the relative delay, and saying that my footwear is very un-Buddhist!!

OT - I've been away for a bit here, but 5 days a week wearing my Indies or C&J or RMW. On weekends, I've been wearing cycling shoes, because they go with my new acquisition, which is a real blast. Here's a pic of my vehicle taken at an obscure, forgotten part of New Jersey:

nicks.w.trike.gif

Just got back from the Alden store in San Fran.........WEARING MY NEW WHISKY CHUKKAS!!! Thats right kiddies, they have a very limited run, double leather soles, avail. NOW!!!

I was trying on the #8 Chukka's and asked them if there was any hope of seeing Whiskey Shell again before 2010.... and Robert, the gentleman working, said "Interesting that you should ask!....." He disappeared into the back room and came back with boxes! They have Whiskey Shell in D width only, in a decent size assortment, and even a few pair of Cigar Shell Chukkas. None of the above are out on display in the store, but ask, ask, ask!! I'm stupidly on vacation without a digital camera, but pictures will be posted when I get back to L.A. over the weekend

Go get em

Ah, such a tease, Bill! D width makes this a no go for me, unfortunately. Gonna need to see photos of yours asap, though. :D

Man, I can't leave that stuff alone. Even all my guitars are hot-rodded somehow, therefore devaluing them tremendously. I believe he likes to "cuban" most of the heels he works on. I think unless I tell him not to, he automatically cubans them. (If you look on his blog, he does all types of things with the heels.)

I know some people like to collect things that are similar, but I kind of dig trying out different shoes. I don't really baby my boots, but I do enjoy taking care of them.(wash, polish, shoe trees, etc.) I think the challenge for me is to try and see how long I can make these boots last.

man, the way you had your indys done is almost exactly the way i wanted them done, except i would've prefered double leather mid-soles. well, maybe one of these days.

judging by the way your boots are looking, looks like your boots will last a long time.

great seeing you greg. you've been a bit quiet lately.

Timberland the biggest Horween customer? And maybe even they can't keep Horween in business?

It has been over 8 or 9 years since i bought a Timberland, it is just not what it used to be. Especially the plastic looking stitches and side look cheap and undurable. It is like something you can find in walmart. and with the price tag over $100, is a no no.

but interesting enough, i saw some of their leather heel and leather sole line, assume to be the high end dress boot of timberland being sold in hong kong this summer with price tag over u.s. $200 , but still ...

I got these Alden driving shoes in brown for $20 at a consignment shop. I don't know if they have a place in this thread or not... guess I'm presuming so just cause they're from Alden. What do you think, though? Good deal? And also, they came with lambswool stuffed down into the toe. Is that a common practice or something?

alden-drivingshoe.jpg

Hey Chicken, you have any updates on your Indy boots with the honey vibrams? I always thought those looked quite good.

i actually wore the honey vibrams down, and to make a long story short, my indys now have double mid-soles and vibram #705s in the fronts and cat's paws orthopedics in the heels.

i actually wore the honey vibrams down, and to make a long story short, my indys now have double mid-soles and vibram #705s in the fronts and cat's paws orthopedics in the heels.

for real....love to see a pics of it...have you post it in previous page b4?

I wondered also about the honey Vibram Indies. I think you posted Indies with the #705s and I wondered if they were another pair...

Repeater - a recumbent because it's low like a chopper and rides like a Ferrari. Anyway, something new....

hi guys! im back well still trying to recover from losing my dad anyways great stuffs these past pages.. been wearing my lonewolfs 2 tone carpenters lately.. the more you wear them the more comfy it gets..

Me too. Most folks here know what else I ride....

Well put. When I saw Greg got a recumbent, I didn't wonder "why?" I wondered, "how many years until recumbent bikes become a necessary accesory hipsters" and then also immediately about how I should probably look into a recumbent for myself.

Anyways, I have been lurking for a long time...I need to get some pictures up...since I have last posted I finally got my LTT Smokejumpers, I have put a good amount of wear on them, I have also nearly destroyed my Indies that I had Cat's Pawed at Eddies...they look great but are going to need a complete recrafting this time. Also, a few weeks ago, I randomly chanced into a pair of Shell Chukkas in Ravello at the Alden Shop in SF...and believe it or not, they were actually on sale...I bought them immediately, which is the only thing that kept me from crying when I heard about the small quantity of Whisky chukkas they got a couple weeks ago. Thanks guys for keeping this thread one of the only things I regularly check on the net anymore.

hi guys! im back well still trying to recover from losing my dad anyways great stuffs these past pages.. been wearing my lonewolfs 2 tone carpenters lately.. the more you wear them the more comfy it gets..

Hey my thoughts are with you and your family. One day I will get a pair of LW's! Actually I'm going to Tokyo in September or October for about 10 days. Maybe I can even find someplace to try them on. You know I'll put out the call for SFers! I think Chicken will be there around then too, hoping out stays overlap!

sorry about your loss..