Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

That really sucks that you didn't get your book back, esp since its out of print.

I don't know if he left you any papers to sign when you dropped off the boots but I'd consider writing a quick contract stating you left the boots and book there making the owner liable if it went missing or damaged beyond use. (future reference when trying a new shop)

Just a thought.. And I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Horrible people these days. :mad:

edmond, check your pm. i'm sure they'd be happy to do stuff for you via shipping. they've done it before for gregnyc, iirc.

fre$co, there's something nice about a nice single thick piece of leather as your mid-sole, too. perhaps in evo4. boots are so much fun and i'm glad i got this pair back. for a little while, i thought they might be a gonner.

whitney, i've definitely discovered that i do need a lot of things in writings. there are so many crooks in the world you can't assume anything. however, the same guy who got my boots back for me is also looking in to see if he could locate a copy of the book. that particular issue is one i consider a classic, i really hope i'd locate one one way or another soon.

thanks chicken!

by the way are these vibram 269 half soles?

IMGP0594.JPG

looks like it or im just hallucinating from aww on chickens indies..

my 1 month old semi dress

whites1.jpg

whites2.jpg

and for the last pic

these always happen to my boots to the heel and the part where my jeans hem scrubs on the leather backside heel.. i hate it any advice shoe guru's?

whites3.jpg

Chicken, I would definitely register a complaint with the BBB. What this guy did is inexcuseable and it needs to be on file. You could also find any review site and write a bad one for each site. That may take a little longer but if you copy and paste your story, it shouldn't be as tasking.

Chicken, I would definitely register a complaint with the BBB. What this guy did is inexcuseable and it needs to be on file. You could also find any review site and write a bad one for each site. That may take a little longer but if you copy and paste your story, it shouldn't be as tasking.

Except, when was the last time you checked with the BBB before buying something? Plus, he probably isn't even a memember, so BBB won't do a thing.

Buyer beware -- and even then.... Chicken went to the guy on a refrence from, what it sounds like, a stand-up guy. It should have worked out.

I'd just cut and paste that guy's mug on every shoe/style forum you find.

I bought 2 pairs of trickers from the ebay trickers factory and among the questions i asked was if they sold shoe trees as well.

I was advised by the tricker guy that he does not recommend it. I was a little confused so I enquired further and this is what he said:

'Hi shoe trees should only be used if they fit the shoes exactly ie bespoke! most people use a generic shoe tree which is an approximate of the shoe last and of course your feet, please tell me how this helps? it has to fit to be of any use we make shoe trees for some of our shoes but not others. Paper or a tight fitting sponge are just as good if not better. kind regards X'

Conflicting? Any thoughts from the shoe gurus?

Thats a pretty disturbing story chicken. :eek:

That guy sounds like a fucking tool.

If somebody did that with my indy boots I would for sure, murder them. I get worried when I have just the heels replaced! After a month I would have walked in the there with a 12 gauge and blown that dude away....ok, not really. But, I'm very sensitive about my Indy Boots. They are the only pair of aldens I own, and if something bad happned to them I might go into cartiac arrest.

IMG_2132.jpg

You can have the midsole replaced?

I'm having that done to mine next week.

I'll be sure to post pictures.

Those are some interesting comments about shoe trees.

I did change my Alden trees that use in my Indies because they dont fill the shoe at all tightly where the creases are and so don't smooth out any creases in the leather. My indies are EEE width so I guess that is the reason.

I guess the point is that the tree needs to be the correct size for the shoe, bespoke is obviously going to be better but I'm sure your shoes benefit from being kept on good fitting trees too.

You can make a complaint to the BBB but do remember that it doesn't mean half as much as it use to. Sharing with people in all the related forums that you can is probably the best thing you can do. Just make sure that you don't slander because if he wanted that would be a reason to take you to court (not that he would but we DO live in that day and age and country).

So, yeah...I'd jump on every clothing and shoe and boot forum and just share your story and let others make the conclusion.

Of course, I'd rather just punch him in the face and tell him to stop being an arse but, those days are over too.

^ i think i'll make it my hobby to keep writing about him all over the place. :D

Chicken - I drive by that place every day on my way to work. Good to know. Seems like a friggin' terrible place. Unbelievable.

if you check out yelp, the jerk pulled off the same exact type of thing to another woman who went there to have her suitcase wheel fixed. he had it for three months until he told her to go fuck off. crazy shit.

these always happen to my boots to the heel and the part where my jeans hem scrubs on the leather backside heel.. i hate it any advice shoe guru's?

wear shorter jeans.

You can have the midsole replaced?

yes. and normally within few days instead of few months. you could even ask for a double mid-sole if you like. make sure whoever works on your shoes don't paint the sides of the mid-soles, unless you want that. and when they stain the sides, it might be good for you to be there so that they can get the colors to what you'd like. i recommend to start out lighter and keep going darker to a color you want.

thanks miz and cole, it's amazing these suckas seem to get by.

are my jeans too long?? have to cuff em..

yeah, i'd think you can either cuff or hem your jeans, or wear jeans with smaller leg openings, or just live with some indigo on your heels. whatever's most important to you.

for my boots and my 66 cuts, it seems like this hasn't been a problem.

i've had some bad customer service exp., but that's about the worst, chicken. normally, once the fury wears off, i'd advise to cut your losses - serves you no good to direct any more of your energy toward that asshole.

but i know this kind of experience can leave a nasty impression you won't be able to shake. just know that for a guy like you, something real good will come around.

^ those are really nice. if the price stays low it'll be a bargain for someone.

speaking of ebay, amazing how aldens keep getting sold for more than their original price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110247006586&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

i've had some bad customer service exp., but that's about the worst, chicken. normally, once the fury wears off, i'd advise to cut your losses - serves you no good to direct any more of your energy toward that asshole.

no man, i'm going to spend the rest of my life fucking around with this guy! :mad:

but really, i just want to try to do my part so that others will have less chance getting screwed over by shitheads like him. i'm glad i got my boots back at least.

^ I've never seen those Alden boots before. They look similar to a black Indy without the mock toe.

Chicken - Your boots do look great. It's too bad you had such a horrible experience with that guy, at least no one here will ever go to that place, except to maybe leave a flaming bag of poo at the door.

well I got my spectators back today and have to say I'm 100% pleased.

Almost got all the "past" owners toe indents out and now have brand new half soles...

dsc04440.jpg

dsc04444.jpg

dsc04441.jpg

dsc04437_1209788845.jpgdsc04442.jpg

Since 875s do get quite a bit of discussion here, i figured this could be the right place to ask.....

can someone advise on the fit differences between a 10E and 11B? I know the width seems a lot from a B to an E, but can a sz 11 compensate with a slightly roomier interior? Reason for asking is that I already own a 10E in 8130s, but looking to purchase a 875 in 11B. For your info I am generally a US 10.5/11 across the board.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

^I wouldn't.....

I don't really get the question though....I assume the 10.5E is your correct size?

If theres one thing I learned in boots, it's always buy your right size (if you happen to know it already). Your feet will thank you for it especially if you intend wearing the boots for years to come.

not highly recommended, but i have known people to switch between half-sizes and half-widths and still be quite comfortable. for example, someone who'd usually wear 8E could feel okay wearing 8.5D. but i've never heard of anyone going a full size and 1.5 width wider, so to speak. sounds pretty uncomfortable.