Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I love Bean Boots too. My dad used to wear them and my mom wears the mocs all the time. I'd like to buy a pair for the winter. Which version would you recommend, I saw there were different options like Thinsulate etc.

I'm sure the thinsulate ones are great but I live in north texas and that kind of eliminates the need for thinsulate. I just get the regular ones and use heavy socks on cold days. I prefer the six inch ones myself.

Thinsulate looked nice but i didnt see that it added the extra $30 that they sell for.. plus i live in chicago, and theyre plenty warm with a pair of wool socks while shoveling in 6 inches of snow

It take awhile to loosen the laces and tie them up again, never wear em when I'm in a hurry:o

Most of the time I just lace them halfway up to make the job easier.

Other than that they are amazing!

edit: I never applied any product to my 877, been wearing them hard for 3 years now. Would it be a bit late to apply any product? Just wondering

I'm sure the thinsulate ones are great but I live in north texas and that kind of eliminates the need for thinsulate. I just get the regular ones and use heavy socks on cold days. I prefer the six inch ones myself.

you mite want that thinsulate tomorrow dude. Gonna be a cold one here! haha

edit: I never applied any product to my 877, been wearing them hard for 3 years now. Would it be a bit late to apply any product? Just wondering

It's never too late! You can restore leather that has been around for a century. As long as it hasn't reached the point where it's crumbling. Just think of leather as being alive, so cream or oil is great for conditioning the skin. There are a million references on this thread to what to use.

My personal preference is Saphir shoe cream or Wesco Bee Oil. Or if you want to go Spartan, use pure kneatsfoot oil or mink oil.

you mite want that thinsulate tomorrow dude. Gonna be a cold one here! haha

Yea, it is on the chilly side this morning here but still to me the thinsulate is better for the multi-day hunting or camping trips. I slipped these on this mornig with heavy socks and my feet are toasty

beanboots1.png

Yea, it is on the chilly side this morning here but still to me the thinsulate is better for the multi-day hunting or camping trips. I slipped these on this mornig with heavy socks and my feet are toasty

Nice! Yeah, it's not humid here like it is down in bama, so I feel pretty good as long as I got my smartwools on. Nice boots too.

any sizing advise on the bean boots?

Here's what Bean advises, and I think it rings true (remember they're not offered in half sizes... though some are offered in width choices):

L.L.Bean Boot Fit Information

The fit of the L.L.Bean Boot is generous to allow for insulation in cold weather.

To wear with light or midweight socks: If you wear a whole size, order one size down from your normal size. If you wear a half size, order one and a half sizes down.

Example: If you wear either a 9 or a 9½, order a size 8.

To wear with heavyweight socks: If you wear a whole size, order your normal size. If you wear a half size, order the next whole size down.

Example: If you wear either a 9 or a 9½, order a size 9.

I just wanted to say that I had a pair of those rubber boots from LL Bean above when I was a kid. My mom got a pair for me and my sister when we were like 3 and 5 respectively. Every year we outgrew the previous ones and sent them back for new sizes. The last pair I got was when I was probably 17 and each return was accepted with a new pair sent out and all we had to pay for was shipping each time.

Lifetime warrantee FTW!

Here are some cowboy boots. While I am aware that they are neither fashionable or popular, I like them anyway. Personally I think they look great with jeans, even if you're not from LA or Texas.

Generic brand boots 7 years old recently resoled by my man Okuyama-san at Fukurokuju.

corral1.jpg

corral2.jpg

corral3.jpg

Rios Of Mercedes, EVA sole. I've never had a boots with this kind of sole. It feels very sneaker like. Very comfortable, but very slippery in the rain.

rios1.jpg

rios2.jpg

rios3.jpg

Sorry for the lack of taste.

Does anyone have advice for getting rid of "clumps" of wax build up on their boots?

I've obviously used too much wax on part of one of my cordovan boots, and there is a dull patch of black wax amongst the shine.

Been scrubbing for a while with a wet cloth but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Anyone know any tips?

Here are some cowboy boots. While I am aware that they are neither fashionable or popular, I like them anyway. Personally I think they look great with jeans, even if you're not from LA or Texas.

when you get to be as old as i am, you realize that all classic looks eventually come back "in", so i was in fact discussing with mrs. ming, that the time for my cowboy boots might actually be approaching again. maybe not this year, but soon.

i have a very functional pair of bullhide boots i got in texas almost 20 years ago. as long as i treat them properly before wearing, they should be ok. what do you think? obenhaufs? is there a store that sells obenhaufs here in nyc or do i have to order it online?

if i get motivated and clean and treat them, i'll post some pictures.

when you get to be as old as i am, you realize that all classic looks eventually come back "in", so i was in fact discussing with mrs. ming, that the time for my cowboy boots might actually be approaching again. maybe not this year, but soon.

i have a very functional pair of bullhide boots i got in texas almost 20 years ago. as long as i treat them properly before wearing, they should be ok. what do you think? obenhaufs? is there a store that sells obenhaufs here in nyc or do i have to order it online?

if i get motivated and clean and treat them, i'll post some pictures.

I've only found Obenauf's LP in Red Wing stores, but I haven't really tried finding it anywhere else. I'm sure you've got one of those in NYC.

hurry though, so we can see some pictures.

I have like 5 pairs.

Okay, we need to see some pictures!

Ming, any high quality shoe cream or oil will do. You just need to get it to a point where it gets supple enough so it doesn't crack. Try light coasts one at a time so the skin absorbs it well.

Okay, we need to see some pictures!

Ming, any high quality shoe cream or oil will do. You just need to get it to a point where it gets supple enough so it doesn't crack. Try light coasts one at a time so the skin absorbs it well.

i pulled them out last night. leather is very dry but not cracked. i will have to order some obenhaufs online cause the red wing store here doesn't carry it.

i think they may need new heels. i noticed that the rubber heel has worn through to the leather heel, and the leather heels are both separating a bit between some of the layers. the sole looks fine though (i think replacing a heel is a lot cheaper than a whole sole.) how would i treat the sole so that it doesn't crack? same as the upper, or just along the sides?

You dudes obviously aren't from TX where cowboy boots have never gone out of style lol.

I have like 5 pairs. My Luccheses are easily the most comfortable boots I own.

I agree, I'm working at an advertising agency right now, and everyone is wearing cowboy boots to the office, even the owners. They are just a staple, especially in "Cowtown" here in Fort Worth.

Cowboy boots are, in general, especially if you go with brands such as Lucchesse (my favorite), Old Gringo (can get pricey), or even custom-handmade(prob set you back $500+) you are going to have a shoe that will last you a while, can almost always be revitalized, and is easy to re-sole. Maybe the style isn't as big other places, but I think they are functional everywhere, not too hot, not too cold, just right. just my opinion:D