Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Speaking of the 1000 mile boot, does anyone have any info regarding sizing? Particularly in relation to Red Wing sizing.

Mike

As said just below this... correct. Size the same as your Red Wing size.

same as RW and indy's, down 1/2

i just got a pair in the mail to try out and i'm not severely impressed. i'll try and get a few photos up sometime

I just got myself a pair of the 1000 boots today. My initial thoughts are actually better than I expected, to be honest. Comparing them to the Red Wing GT, which is really their closest competition, they are a better boot in my eyes. The fit is much better... not long and narrow like the GT. The Chromexcel leather in the rust color is really pretty, and warmer than the featherstone leathers now used on the GT. The finish on the midsole is also better, smoother, and cleaner. Whether you prefer the leather sole off the 1k to the commando sole of the GT is personal preference I suppose.

My only knock on the 1k is the toe box is just a shade too tapered for my taste. I'd like to see a hair more width in the toe box... but still keeping it less bulbous than the GT

^ nice pair of boots!

those black Indy's definitely look great as well but I prefer the plain toe boot I saw in the Tokyo Beams shop. The contrast of the white stitching on the toe box is a bit much imo.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

I think you might have missed the point of his post.

Iron rangers - size 12, sized true and put an insole in them.

Gentleman travelers - sized 12, and I'm swimming in them :( hopefully they'll be a little better when i break them in, might just sell them and get a smaller size.

877 - sized true, 12, super thin odoreater insoles.

877s at 9 months, new 875.

img2615fi.jpg

img2616a.jpg

rnrswitch - thanks for handling that. apparently i stepped on some toes in the shoes thread. har har.

nice red wings 35% - i love old vs new comparisons. were you gonna post pics of your iron rangers and GTs? i don't see any...

here are two recent purchases i'm really excited about:

1. NOS vans. very rich shade of navy suede. deck soles (which i love). made in USA. not sure how to date these. i would guess anywhere from early 80s to mid 90s. not sure how far back that heel tag goes - might be much older. these will definitely look better with age...

4070381058_731f311985.jpg

4069622335_0f7696b4f6.jpg

2. NOS Chippewas. Pretty sure i got these from the same seller as illumin8em got his a few pages back. these came with the same old "Chippewa Charlie's Boot Care Manual" (see pics). i switched out black speed laces for brown leather ones. gonna give em a saddle soap and obenauf's treatment before i start wearing. these are my first boots in a long time. i prefer the look of moc toe boots (really want some indys) but the price was much nicer on these for now...

4069621389_b0fa2478e4.jpg

4070380094_c4c056c084.jpg

Tally - No pics of my GTs since they've been worn maybe 6 times. My IRs on the other hand have been worn on and off for about 7 months, usually when I go out to bars and such.

And the 877s were the same color as the 875 are when they were new. Lots of landscaping, electrical, and carpentry work while wearing them.

My iron rangers, I really love these boots. Very comfortable and always get compliments on them.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

Quick Alden sizing question. I'm looking at the Orvis aviator boot. If i'm a 9 in Re3d Wing 875s, what size would work with the aviator boot? I have a pair of alden dress shoes that i can compare sizes to, but I don't know that last since I got them at a thrift store. I'm not sure it would be the same size as the dress shoes.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. Those should be on clearance at Marshals.

Quick Alden sizing question. I'm looking at the Orvis aviator boot. If i'm a 9 in Re3d Wing 875s, what size would work with the aviator boot? I have a pair of alden dress shoes that i can compare sizes to, but I don't know that last since I got them at a thrift store. I'm not sure it would be the same size as the dress shoes.

if i'm remembering right, the orvis boot is on the trubalance last like the 405. my advice would be to get your foot measured on a brannock device heel to ball (or heel to toe if that measurement is larger) and use that measurement. it worked perfectly for me. but make sure the person who measures you knows what they're doing.

my red wing 875s are 11s and I got 11.5 in the 405 just for reference.