Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Well I got my confirmation from Alden today that my Burnished Tan calf 405's are being put on the production schedule (Just the time I thought they would)...They should be here around April or May and I cannot wait to see how they turn out...

Time for some family portraits!

3077466111_64de48e4d0.jpg

White's semi-dress brown, C&J Skye, Trickers Wetherby, Alden #405

3078296720_64366f3c43.jpg

3077466241_666c38fe57.jpg

Wetherby toe detail. These are at 18 months old and I really like the way the toe is darkening.

3077466395_64da05eaba.jpg

Good old fashioned steel segs on the Skye.

cont....

Thanks chaps.

As for the indies stitching:

I have treated the welt and stitching with neutral a couple of times before waxing with darker colours. I usually use tan on them but have used brown a few times and oxblood once (never to be repeated!) which turned everything pink.

When the stitching is darkened it usually fades away if they are waxed with neutral before polishing.

brilliant fre$co! I particulalry like the way your Skye's are looking.

Here's an update on my Foster galosh cut boots. I've been wearing them for about 6 months, but in rotation with others, so they haven't changed that much. They're lighter leather and construction than for Instance Aldens, though, so I don;t think they should be worn as hard. They're definitely town boots!

3079016817_b295c2c28f.jpg?v=0

3079852254_8baceb07a7.jpg?v=0

3079016985_f92f465839.jpg?v=0

3079852332_0185d66bcd.jpg?v=0

and the rest (seems we can only post 4 pics per post now...)

3079852518_a6eaeba7b6.jpg?v=0

3079852470_78573bdb05.jpg?v=0

the ankle area is lined with dark brown soft leather, the toungue is unlined, but the toe area is lined with cream leather. I don;t know why it's made like that, but I think it's a cool detail:

3079852572_9cb7c5b213.jpg?v=0

with evisu japan No1SPECIAL 2001:

3079852130_9a95cca484.jpg?v=0

^^ thanks fre$co! they're pretty similar to these-

3079953788_4e5e3f5bb2.jpg?v=0

but the Villiers is a derby, and mine are a galosh cut oxford (the oxford seam carries on all the way round to the heel, instead of sloping off to the welt). Also there are some construction differences- the C&J has a lined tongue, the sole is flat (on the Fosters there's a bit of a 3d curve at the waist), and the sock linings of the fosters are in a different colour on mine. I don;t know about the last, although they look pretty similar.

I know there are a lot of brands, and not that many factories, but I think we may be wrong assuming (at least I've been assuming) that they're all the same with different labelling. For instance these boots and my poulsen skone chelseas are apparently both C&J handgrade, but they seem different from the standard C&J versions. my guess is that each brand still has it's own specifications (better or worse than the factories' own lines) and I would assume this goes for Alfred Sargent, Grenson, Edward Green et al. as well- any thoughts?

just an idea...

The brand doesn't exist anymore so it's all deadstock handmade in france. Louis Vuitton, JM Weston and Mephisto had theirs shoes factory in the same town.

you selling a deadstock pair of those charles jourdan boots? size 41.5 pls

you selling a deadstock pair of those charles jourdan boots? size 41.5 pls

sorry i don't but you can easily found a pair on ebay. The pics i posted are from ebay. Dude that was crazy good ol days. Even beggars wore $800 boots cause they removed tags and labels on b-grades and gave its to the local salvation army.

More detailed pics here (this is not my listing):

http://cgi.ebay.fr/BOOTS-bottines-homme-CHARLES-JOURDAN-T44-sac-hugo-boss_W0QQitemZ220322448191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_YO_Vetements_ChaussuresHommes?hash=item220322448191&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1526%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

^^ thanks fre$co! they're pretty similar to these-

3079953788_4e5e3f5bb2.jpg?v=0

but the Villiers is a derby, and mine are a galosh cut oxford (the oxford seam carries on all the way round to the heel, instead of sloping off to the welt). Also there are some construction differences- the C&J has a lined tongue, the sole is flat (on the Fosters there's a bit of a 3d curve at the waist), and the sock linings of the fosters are in a different colour on mine. I don;t know about the last, although they look pretty similar.

I know there are a lot of brands, and not that many factories, but I think we may be wrong assuming (at least I've been assuming) that they're all the same with different labelling. For instance these boots and my poulsen skone chelseas are apparently both C&J handgrade, but they seem different from the standard C&J versions. my guess is that each brand still has it's own specifications (better or worse than the factories' own lines) and I would assume this goes for Alfred Sargent, Grenson, Edward Green et al. as well- any thoughts?

just an idea...

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of, but now I see the pictures, they are quite different indeed. Yours do certainly have the 'feel' of a C&J handgrade though. I'm not sure if there is a better or worse quality within the same grade in the same factory since they are made by the same hands, I'm not sure about the selection of skins for the different brands though.

I will have a look at foster & sons after the new year to see if there are any unmissable bargains.

By the way your NST Aldens had sold out in my size.

^^ well that post seemed to work ok, so let's try again!

has anyone heard of lodger? they opened a shop in mayfair a couple of months and I've been in a few times- nice stuff, although I've never found anything 'just right' yet.... I do quite like these though:

SOM-200812-GB-01.jpg

http://www.lodgerfootwear.com/som/english/canvas-spectator-0.html

i reckon they'd look pretty cool with indigo stains on the canvas (or to put it another way, they'd have indigo stains on the canvas whether i like it or not!)

one more time:

$7.50 Military Surplus "Safety" Chukka boots I got off eBay. No name, can't find any real info on them. Saw them once before on a mil surplus site. Great shoes - comfy, sturdy w/ a steel toe, and a great silhouette. All leather. They're big (but thats cause my feet are huge), but they are slim and have a nice profile.

excuse the poor lace job:

3078034809_03f730234e.jpg

3078033795_ea1e8756bf.jpg

3078868648_cc3b86934b.jpg

(compared to size 13 chucks)

3078867732_1f1059ae01.jpg