Out in Left Field (1/1/2012-1/1/2013)

robbie

anybody that fits a 30 and wants to play at home can pick up indigo ducks at 20% off at the shop this weekend only, cool truck sometimes wish i lived in LA, great weather, amazing roads and can ride all year! though finally warming up in NY. I like the paint on the ducks adds character. C

great updates all around.

ran the ducks through its first wash a couple days ago:

EG7Ktl.jpg

today is just a lazy sunday. going to attempt to get some writing done but procrastinating because of this beautiful weather we're having. but i did have some good one-on-one time with my brother's dog - winston!

8iBqBl.jpg

he had a couple licks of the ducks - he liked it.

DiV1pl.jpg

heart to hearts and belly rubs followed.

Posted · Hidden by lance, March 18, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by lance, March 18, 2012 - No reason given

Hey ran, the way i read it (in two different posts, same page), he will make the next run from the same fabric indigo x indigo which he has stockpiled but the next cone run will be indigo x navy.

Great weather all weekend here in Toronto as well. Took a walk in high park today. My wife and I both lived near the park when we first moved to the city, spent a lot of time there, it was good to get back.

39bcad1b.jpg

More duck.

963b48fc.jpg

035c76f0.jpg

Danger.

d3cafd1b.jpg

Missesh and jack.

31769ea4.jpg

cbecd2bb.jpg

Someone got hungry on the way home. Wonder how long until he'll be reaching for the shelves.

a3b8c421.jpg

hi guys, have not updated in a while...was really busy clearing off work before taking break in the land of the rising sun to catch whatever was left of winter. managed to sneak a few days in tokyo before joining up with the rest of the family further up north in hokkaido for our annual holiday. as with all trips there’s just to many photos to post, i’ll do my best to condense them below....

first up - arrived to pretty gloomy weather and spent some time walking around nakameguro

6996542329_3ee6c9303a_z.jpg

i know you’re all expecting to see some leftfield chino action but my eternals were much neglected so i brought them along. this was what i wore mostly to keep warm - my super handy and functional barbour beaufort and mt rainier hooded vest. a pleasantly toasty combination

6850407168_ac4712f853_z.jpg

did not plan to do much shopping this time round, instead we walked a lot more to experience the sights. below is kazuyo sejima’s shibaura house designed as a kind of urban living room

6850402178_6f7b87faa8_z.jpg

can’t get enough of the various textures and colours

6996494161_dbcbcf4980_z.jpg

and the many old traditional shops selling books and various oddities

6996493313_274dc0eecb_z.jpg

found a place for lunch at shimo-kitazawa

6850376246_8c43127dd8_z.jpg

stumbled upon a store selling 1920s french military wear. interestingly the merchandise are displayed along the walls outside the shop

6850368524_1cbde204a3_z.jpg

ues denim and workwear shop in daikanyama - there’s a thread over in superdenim for those interested. quality stuff and construction, denim uses zimbabwean cotton. some nice fades as well.

6850376246_8c43127dd8_z.jpg

anyone heard of bear pond espresso? well i was there, very nondescript shop, and had a nice coffee break

6850383230_bf8c0220d2_z.jpg

and a last fit pic with the chinos

6996493705_ee37d4810a_z.jpg

we made sapporo our base, and took day trips out to various places. the bus network is surprisingly accessible and easy to navigate

6996670607_6e733f36b7_z.jpg

waiting for the bus to takino park after alighting from 30 min train ride out of sapporo

6850560746_7d1c5ffe41_z.jpg

the park was mostly quiet, somehow we managed to avoid the peak seasonal crowds, which was really nice. must say this is the best time to visit

6996701811_75cc8c8905_z.jpg

we ventured to otaru next, which is a coastal town on the northwestern side of hokkaido island. had a great seafood lunch there

6996629363_f745890d55_z.jpg

6996628923_168ba19f13_z.jpg

the chinos could not do any better to survive the snow and icy weather. such a great pant

6850560462_4bd28bd130_z.jpg

went up to jozankei onsen famous for their hot springs

6996629749_757e3f8d3f_z.jpg

soba lunch

6996629865_6911ab9d9a_z.jpg

we had dinner served in our own private tatami room

6850505872_dc665daeb1_z.jpg

this is how they look today, some bits of fading going on here and there, dark spots are water spots that are drying out from rain. i’ll be doing a proper photo record soon after the 3 month point

6996745425_c616080148_z.jpg

hope you enjoyed the update.....

^oh man, great post - makes me miss japan! bear pond is on my list of coffee places to visit in the world - the proprietor lived in NYC for 20 years, learned the ropes and brought back what he learned - but with the kind of touch and quality that only comes in japan. i'm delighted to see it here in the thread!

Your pair lost a ton of indigo Mapz .

you think so? the knees have definitely taken a beating from biking. not sure if it's more than anyone else, though - i'll have to take some detail shots to compare.

Edited by mapz

^hi mapz - yes i first heard about bear pond couple years back in a copy of lightning magazine which featured tokyo shops by area, shimokitazawa, shibuya, daikanyama etc. in that issue there was a 2 page article on bear pond entitled 'my way my freedom' - such dedication and passion. I'll try and get a scan of that here if i can. there's also a great article about the owner Katsuyuki Tanaka in the nytimes on tokyo's many coffee bars. here's the link for anyone's interested :

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/16/ristretto-tokyo-coffee/

the shop itself is pretty basic in terms of furniture and interiors just primarily focussed on the coffee counter which is what they do best. no pictures are allowed, the owner and presumably his wife seem really nice folks who didn't speak much, the coffee is without a doubt one of the best i've tasted.

Love all of the talk of Bear Pond. I've always wondered why those shops don't switch over to power through car batteries during peak times of the day. Tattoo artists do it all the time in areas when the electricity isn't consistent enough...

Anyway, I found out this morning that my dad is taking me to Spring Training to see some baseball games over my Spring break. I was hoping to relax this week, get some film developed, and try to catch up on some well deserved sleep, but instead I'm going to be sleeping on the floor of hotels, watching baseball, and taking pictures of the drive. I'll get a mega post up some time next week - Boston, New York, Baltimore, and Florida.

just a quick shot today... Stopped by the famous Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. Friday Night Car Southern California Car Culture... way more cars then shown...

IMG_0558.jpgIMG_0557-2.jpg

Surly-- did you make it to any shows during SXSW?

How about anyone else?

about to have a big update, it's finally warm enough here to start in on yard work. All the flower beds need dug, and 'hopefully' we'll be planting cukes, tomatoes, peppers, dill,... . It's just so hard to tell here in NE. It's still only March, but it's been in the mid to upper 80s all last week. We've gotten major snow storms as late as May though so it's so hard to tell. We want to get stuff in the ground for our land lords. They planted stuff for us when we moved in last summer, and we'll be moving out mid summer so we want stuff to be here for whoever moves in after we're gone.

In other news, the pants I have been wearing over my Left Fields are slowly falling apart.

Here is a pick of the damage

306177_10150617645411835_508016834_9638519_1012982314_n.jpg

Done with cheap dickies! never buying another pair again so long as I live.

Edited by robbie