denim rubberneckers...

snugglepony

Actually, I'm quite guilty of this :o. I'm totally interested in what denim guys are wearing. Sometimes I'll even ask what the brand is. My interest is more about surveying the market.

In any case, it's a relief to know that I have plenty company :D!!

Guy came through my line today. Jeans were raw and looked to be really nice quality, at least compared to a lot of shit I see since nowadays raw, even selvedge, jeans are considered old hand. Like, they obviously weren't apc's, which I see a fair share of. I asked what they were, he said Elwood.

I always notice people who come into my work. Last week a guy came in wearing warehouse, i talked to him for a little bit, also noticed he had the same flathead keyhook as me. Before that i had a guy come in with some skulls that he bought at big. I get the occasional lvc (considering i work at levi's) Then there is the same shit, a guy came in wearing nudies, i asked him what model they were and he didn't even know. then some apc's and that stuff.

I use jeans as an excuse to just check out good ole' man ass.

Guy came through my line today. Jeans were raw and looked to be really nice quality, at least compared to a lot of shit I see since nowadays raw, even selvedge, jeans are considered old hand. Like, they obviously weren't apc's, which I see a fair share of. I asked what they were, he said Elwood.

Elwood is a skateboarding clothing brand, at least they were ~10 years ago when I was skating every day and followed that stuff.

I always notice people who come into my work. Last week a guy came in wearing warehouse, i talked to him for a little bit, also noticed he had the same flathead keyhook as me. Before that i had a guy come in with some skulls that he bought at big. I get the occasional lvc (considering i work at levi's) Then there is the same shit, a guy came in wearing nudies, i asked him what model they were and he didn't even know. then some apc's and that stuff.

i live in a town where it would be a rat's chance in a cat's cage to find someone wearing warehouse. sad to admit, but even nudies are exiting to see here. i checked out the elwood jeans site. ok, but not my thing.

i live in nyc and work in washington heights, so i see a mix of good and bad jeans all the time.

the worst so far (of the expensive jeans i have seen) was a pair of the BAPE jeans with the white running cat(?) on the front and the spacemen heads on the ass.

i see a lot of horrible cheap ass ghetto jeans all over, and the other day i saw this woman with huge hip flare but it was all filled out! what a bizzare shape, it looked like she had shelves on her hips. thought about taking a pic, but it would have been obvious and cruel.

I was looking for any sort of raw or selvedge denim during my whole 4 night stay at Las Vegas, but never saw a single pair of proper stuff.

Then again, the nicest pairs of jeans I've seen in person have been my friend's Nudies (TFs and SJs) with the yoke ripped to hell. Next runner up would be another friend's evisu and then some random jeans with selvedge coin and back pockets on some asian guy. I don't remember what brand, but I do know it was on the lower end of things.

About a year ago I saw a dude in Menlo Park Safeway (practically the world headquarters of Safeways) wearing full Flat Head getup (3001, gay cowboy shirt, leather keystrap). Great ass on that one

• 4 months later...

today, i saw : two pre-distressed evisus, with green gull back pockets, a pair of semi -faded 514's, a pair of apcs, FH 3001s , AND some unrecognizable brand that had exposed coin pocket selvage ( n &f?) . this was all at College of San Mateo and on Sam trans buses today.. anyone from sufu??

today i was at the water cooler at my regular dayjob, and this fat older lady comes up to me and asks '' why do you wear your jeans so tight?''. i replied '' my wife likes it''. then she tells me i have a ''cute little booty''. i told her my wife said thanks. the funny part is i had on my WH, which are a lot looser than my FC. then i changed into my FC for my dirty 2nd gig...

there are 2 guys that work in the same studio as me that Ive seen at starbucks who have what look to be APC's. We have all given each other the eye before. One of my old co workers just wore Levi's STF's and had the sickest fades.

I don't ever see nice jeans really. Last night I saw a guy in nudies getting on the subway, but other that that its all knock offs, Ghetto jeans and True religion everywhere.

Seems like you would see more in Los Angeles / Hollywood

Im a barista at what's probably the busiest little coffee shop in town (tiny little place, authentic italian style cappuccinos/lattes etc.) so I'm mid rush, head down tamping away and this dude walks in wearing what looked to be some LVC's, RW's, tucked in chambray and an ALD belt... caught myself staring, forgot about the shots I had just pulled, ruined them...had to play it off like I didn't just fuck up my whole order because I was staring at some dude

(and to top it off, I live in Kamloops BC, population 80,000, closest denim pick ups are at least 4 hours away, most people are either snowboarders who rock skate shop brand stuff, rednecks or typical quicksliver/billabong heads...needless to say it was a pretty big deal)

• 2 months later...
Im a barista at what's probably the busiest little coffee shop in town (tiny little place, authentic italian style cappuccinos/lattes etc.) so I'm mid rush, head down tamping away and this dude walks in wearing what looked to be some LVC's, RW's, tucked in chambray and an ALD belt... caught myself staring, forgot about the shots I had just pulled, ruined them...had to play it off like I didn't just fuck up my whole order because I was staring at some dude

(and to top it off, I live in Kamloops BC, population 80,000, closest denim pick ups are at least 4 hours away, most people are either snowboarders who rock skate shop brand stuff, rednecks or typical quicksliver/billabong heads...needless to say it was a pretty big deal)

well, did ya talk to him? get his numba?

• 1 year later...

decent denim is starting to show up more and more around here. you're lucky to go a day without seeing nudies. or maybe i just notice it more.

I once sold a guy a $10k outdoor furniture setting at least partly by commenting on the killer fades on his sams. He seemed amazed that someone else even knew what samurais were - as I said, everyone around here thinks nudies are the height of denim fashion

i see a lot of horrible cheap ass ghetto jeans all over

LOL, you don't take the MARTA train in Atlanta every day. Good lord people wear some obnoxious looking ghetto shit.

The only time I've seen others wearing selvedge was a couple times in my apartment building. Didn't know what they were though, and didn't ask.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

How about this TV rubberneck moment.

Model / actress Kristy Swanson rocking a pair of vintage Levi Redlines in the 1992 movie "Buffy. - The Vampire Slayer"

wv69uu.jpg

How about this TV rubberneck moment.

Model / actress Kristy Swanson rocking a pair of vintage Levi Redlines in the 1992 movie "Buffy. - The Vampire Slayer"

wv69uu.jpg

One of the first episodes of the Whose Line reboot last year had a guest actress that was wearing  selvage denim, though they were still crispy and a medium blue color.

^ @altoclefchris I had to stop the DVR, rewind a bit and hit play again to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

Sure enough when I hit play and then pause there she was wearing what I believe are a nice pair of original 501 Redlines,

Way to go girl. Nice style. B)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• 3 weeks later...

So today a coworker that I've worked with for almost a year, and who was in NYC over the weekend, said "hey, have you ever heard of Flat Head?" This was so unexpected that I didn't even know what he was talking about for a second. "Flat Head?" I responded. "Yeah, check it out" he says and hands me his wallet. "Wait, this is a Flat Head wallet? What the hell do you know about Flat Head? Where did you get this?" I ask. "I picked it up at Self Edge in New York." "What?! How do you know about Self Edge?" "Oh I've been to Self Edge in LA and San Francisco too. I just bought a pair of Sugar Canes from them."

Mind Blown. We can't wear jeans at work so I had no idea. Almost a year working with this guy and he apparently has been wearing an Iron Heart belt the whole goddamn time, and has Sugar Canes and Studio D'Artisans, and is familiar with Flat Head, Iron Heart, Real Japan Blues, and god knows what else. This is literally the only person I know who has any idea about Japanese denim. Crazy.