denim rubberneckers...

snugglepony

i was at a boutique in brooklyn and a girl came up to me and asked me what brand of selvage jeans i was wearing (i had them cuffed)...i said they were buzz ricksons she gave me a confused look said they looked nice and then walked back over to her boyfriend who i'm sure put here up to it. in new york i think outside of a million pairs of apcs and lots of nudies mostly on confused eurotourists i have seen two pairs of selvage denim....a pair of LVC 47 (with nice leg twist) on this fashionable oldman i see on the L platform everyday and a pair of sorahikos on a middleaged guy i recognized as a celebrity but wasn't able to figure out who exactly he was.

has anyone stared at road construction workers while driving to admire the fade on their denim?

so true. construction workers and some of the homeless guys have killer fades. ironic we pay so much money to make our denim look like theirs.

so true. construction workers and some of the homeless guys have killer fades. ironic we pay so much money to make our denim look like theirs.

Ha ha...ive seen some killer fades on some Ecuadorian day laborers on the L train and in my 'hood. Funny.

didnt earnest sewn do that last year? plus, thats what they do in thailand....i have a pair i bought for $5 that have an amazing fade, pics soon.

i will admit to rampant rubbernecking... to the point that now, when i'm out and i turn around to check out back pockets or stare at a passing guy or girl, my friends (NOT superdenim types to say the least) recognize exactly what i'm doing. it did take a lot of "hey, why are you checking out that guy's ass?" instances before we got to this point though.

i had a strange experience a little while ago when i noticed a guy in nudies and commented that we were wearing the same brand. i don't think he spoke very good english, because he looked at me like i had two heads. then again, maybe i just spooked him.

I definetly do it... last sunday I saw these very nice hot iron branded lees on a girl,very nicely worn, could be some kind of prewash though, not sure... There´s another girl that often rides the same subway as i do, she must think im a real creep but she always wear nice jeans, orange tab levis, edwins, acne, you name it shes got it it seems...

I think its more fun to see girls walking by wearing like LVC or Edwin since its so much rarer than with guys. In Stockhlom where I live you see LVC, Edwin and Evisu every day, so it gets tiring to rubberneck every dude that walks by... Nowadays I only get excited when I see the Stussy*Levis jeans and the Bape with "ape shall not kill another ape" woven into the selvage (they are fucking great, only seen them once though), both of these are mega-rare here...

• 2 years later...

I always ask people about their jeans, if they are raw denim and if they are still unwashed but already worn a long time. I always explain about the jeansmuseum and that they sahll use their pants the hard way and if possible with no washings and after that they would fit perfectly in the Jeansmuseum, a safe place where they can rest in peace forever - what they really deserve telling endless strories about their hard life.

yesterday afternoon i was walking back to the office with a friend of mine after lunch. we passed a restaurant with outdoor seating, and there's a dude sitting down with his girlfriend. i noticed he was wearing a pair of nudies (still very rare in portland; only the second pair i've seen) and as i walked past him, dude fully rubbernecks to check out my APCs. not checking out my ass, mind you, but checking out my jeans. the thing is, i'm totally guilty of doing the same thing, and i imagine i must look like a desperately oversexed gay man to anyone who happens to notice me doing it -- not exactly the look i'm going for, knowhati'msayin'?

anyone else notice this phenomenon?

first off, you talkin portland oregon? if so, you might need to get out more haha. I live in beaverton, and whenever I go to downtown portland or even just head to school sometimes I see dudes in nudies and apcs and stuff.

secondly, I will say I do the same thing. thing is, Im kind of a sneakerhead as well as a denim nerd so if dudes got a fresh pair of jeans and a clean pair of kicks I do get my neck broken at times haha, it just happens!

first off, you talkin portland oregon? if so, you might need to get out more haha. I live in beaverton, and whenever I go to downtown portland or even just head to school sometimes I see dudes in nudies and apcs and stuff.

]secondly, I will say I do the same thing. thing is, Im kind of a sneakerhead as well as a denim nerd so if dudes got a fresh pair of jeans and a clean pair of kicks I do get my neck broken at times haha, it just happens!

This is great. First of all, the intial post was from two years ago when you were still a dunk-aholic and wearing Guess Jeans.

i rarely see any good looking denim in gainesville but theres a store here that sells nudies so a few of my "fashioncore" styled friends starting rocking them. but they wash regularly so they look like shit..

when i was traveling around with my father a few months ago, i rubbernecked a few times in some mall in ohio, where i saw a few pairs of selfedge jeans, and an incredibly sexy girl with some big ass selfedge cuffs, and a nice big ass to compliment them

oh and STropio plus rep for being funny! :D

• 4 months later...

I always see the denim, not the butt. My friends think i'm insane but I check out everyone, guys and girls. I tend to only see selvedge on asian international students.

I hate seeing nudies around cuz soo many people don't beat them up so they're old lookin but no fading whatsoever. They buy it because its fashionable, not because it's raw. It's a travesty.

theres one other guy in my school who does this, and we just look at each others jeans when we walk past each other in the hallway, not saying a single word... been like this for 6 months now

Haha that's great.

I was riding the MARTA back from the ATL airport and was all alone in a train car with a hypebeast. Eyeballed my sammies for 30 minutes or so before I got off the train.

Nothing was said;

Nothing needed to be said.

i do it too. everybody has fake evisu heritage and red monkeys. or 20 dollar jeans with some type of kanji or mandarin on the back. or damn coogi. so i just rubberneck the cuffs to see the selvage. fake rate is 90% or more. everyone rubbernecks me in ridicule in the hood. but no one will ask me about the jeans... i love it.

LOL, i saw this guy at the bus stop with some Flatheads, so as i passed by, i took a nice long minute to stare at his jeans. We gave each other "the nod" and that was that.

I've only ran into one guy wearing nice-ish jeans, it was a pain of nudies. we talked for about 10 minutes kinda weird, especially because his girlfriend was there and kept on trying get him to leave, but we kept on talking ha!

Reminds me of my gf... when we go to a particular shop together, I sometimes talk about jeans and shit with a dude that works there. She just gives me this look... then after we leave calls me gay (no 'mo).

now that i think of it i had a dude the other day who asked me if i wore true religion. without trying to seem insulted i just put him on to a shop in town that sells real evisu heritage...

and one time i was at the 'citys best denim boutique' and i met a kid from japan who had moved to VA beach. he had on the 512 sams(bootcut, 1month wear) and i (who at the time was wearing sam510s,13 months) stupidly asked if they were LVC. id never seen anyone else in my hometown with any japanese denim period, so he asks me about my jeans and when he found out they were sams he was astounded. he asked 'how long/washes' and he was suprisingly obviously a noob. but i didn't care the fact that a japanese kid dug my sams made my year. i left the store, and when i went back to get dudes contact info he was gone. but the dude who worked in the store overheard our convo and as i left i could hear him tell someone'' dude, those are samurai's''

I was visiting my son at University yesterday , was wearing a pair of 1952 101z and a worn 507xx . Japanese kid walks fom behind me , does head turn and just stares for about 5-10 yards . I just smiled , my wife was curious and i just laughed and said " he's wearin Bluebells' " She then frownd as it reminded her of how much I spend on denim , lol .

Btw , I live in Belfast (Northern Ireland) and i reckon in the last 5yrs apart from Nudies I have seen one pair of LVC 1947s (spoke to the kid in my friends retro shop) and another pair of Bluebells on a drummer in a rockabilly band ... thats it for repro never mind japanese imports.