Boots/shoes-Sizing advice

k4727

rancourt (oakstreet, red wing handsewn) all run huge! not uncommon to size down 1-1.5 sizes.

hey all.

I'm looking into getting a pair of Red Wing 8166s. Here are my sizes in other shoes -

Vans - 12US, snug, almost perfect fit

Adidas running shoes - 12US, excellent fit

Clarks DB's - 11UK, snug fit

Dr Marten's - 11UK, good overall fit

Should I go for 11, 11.5 or 12 US? Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm, looking at buying some fracap Scarponcini - here are my shoe sizes

10 us adidas

10uk new balance

should I go with a 9 or 10 uk in the fracap?

Got the 10uk (44eu) and it was the right choice they fit perfectly. Very light and comfortable boots as well.

good day gents... need help , im wearing 8.5uk for red wing..what ideal size for whites semi d or farmer ranch.many thanks in advance.

looking at red wing 8196 (round toe)

I wear a 9.5us in most sneakers/shoes, can usually get away with a 9 also. Nordstrom site says to order TTS but I'm not totally sure

Edited by dl7

good day gents... need help , im wearing 8.5uk for red wing..what ideal size for whites semi d or farmer ranch.many thanks in advance.

which Red Wing? I found my Whites to fit the same as a pair of Iron Rangers in the length. I tried a 10 in the IR's and Bakers fit me to a size 10 Whites. Fit is spot on.

• 4 weeks later...

can someone help out with sizing. since I buy all my boots online, haven't had the best luck with sizing

405 indy's - 6.5EE, left pinky toe feels crammed most of the time

MF road champs - 7.5 sometimes they feel perfect, sometimes left toe feels crammed

trickers supershoe (leather soul) - 7 fit great, low cut shoe though

custom viberg service boot - 8, perfect

so the sizing is all over the place, and I'm putting in another order of cordovan indy's and want to get the sizing right.

thanks in advance!

Edited by leeroy

can someone help out with sizing. since I buy all my boots online, haven't had the best luck with sizing

405 indy's - 6.5EE, left pinky toe feels crammed most of the time

MF road champs - 7.5 sometimes they feel perfect, sometimes left toe feels crammed

trickers supershoe (leather soul) - 7 fit great, low cut shoe though

custom viberg service boot - 8, perfect

so the sizing is all over the place, and I'm putting in another order of cordovan indy's and want to get the sizing right.

thanks in advance!

I'd go up a half size this time; 7 EE

9.5 indy, 9 white's sd, 9 rancourt beefroll penny loafers, 10 vans. Haven't owned any other shoes in the last 3 years...

10D Whites semi dress last

10D RW Iron Rangers

10.5D RW 3141 chukka

10.5 Nike Free/New Balance 993

9.5D Alden barrie last

9.5D Oak Street Bootmakers (have 10's, so I am assuming a 9.5 would be the proper fit as the 10's are just too big)

edit** I managed to trade my size 10 Oak Streets for a size 9.5. The 9.5 fit is much, much better.

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Edit: Bought Quoddy Chukkas in 10.5 mailorder from a retailer that stocked them, they fit well. Was unsure of sizing as I'm normally an 11, but had gone down all the way to 10 in canoe shoes from Quoddy, which seem to run really big. I'm about to commission a pair of the Maine Woodsman, probably in 11. They'll likely run 1/2 size big, but I'll be generally wearing them with significantly thicker socks than normal.

Edited by cander49

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Whites do run larger than some. With Whites, the difference between a C and D is not much. I have been going back and forth with Bakers regarding this very thing. I fit and measured a D with my smoke jumpers on semi dress last, but the Bakers oxfords are way too loose in the heel area. I remeasured and am a C in the heel area. Honestly, I suggest you remeasure, and wear the socks you would when wearing teh boots. The saying "Measure twice, cut once" applies here. Maybe do it at different times of the day, after different activities. The leather will most likely stretch out, but you want a good, proper fit right out of the box to begin with

i would want to get beeswax desert mali but only 8.5us available at the moment. I've tried on desert boot in size 8.5us, the length is fine but the width seems kinda snug. Just would want to know whether do beeswax stretch? I'm pretty stuck here whether should i get it. btw, I'm size 9 for chuck taylor all star.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have experience with Grensons?

I looked through this thread and didn't see any mention of them, and being that it's only 6 pages I can't imagine that I just missed it, but in case I did, apologies.

I'm looking to get some of the Grenson Fred V boots, I wear a 12 in most sneakers (Nike, Gourmet, Supra etc) and am 11.5 in Timberlands and Cole Haan. All Grensons are listed in UK sizing which seems to generally be equivalent to 1 size up in US (ie/ UK 10 = US 11). Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody has experience with their sizing, particularly the boots. Their customer service just directed me to the FAQ on their website which isn't helpful.

William Lennon anyone ?

big, small or tts ?

I take 1 size down in RW.

I visited the William Lennon factory last week. I normally take a UK 13 (US 13 in Redwings), and tried on the 78 or 178 style (same last) in a UK 12 and 13.

Their UK 12 was too small, and my toes touched the end of the boot. Their UK 13 was enormous, and felt loose. Libs in the office reckons that they run true to size, but I think that you could possibly size down half a size.

The B5 World War I boot feels a bit longer, but a bit narrower in the heel. I tried a pair on in UK 11, and it felt a bit smaller than the other boots in 12. Unfortunately there wasn't a larger size for me to try on! I've got a pair being made in size 12 1/2 (completely non-standard), and will advise when they arrive.

The best thing to do would be to give them a shout, and bear in mind that UK sizes are one smaller than their US equivalents.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is great. If I'm an 8 in red wing iron rangers, what should I try for wolverine 1000 mile Addison? I hear 8.5 might be better.