Boots/shoes-Sizing advice

k4727

i wanted to ask your advice about Trickers sizing.

i just purchased a pair of Trickers Bufords in marron.

they are beautiful. but problems.

im am True to Size: US 8 D

So for my Trickers I got them sized:

UK 7

with a 5 fitting

on their 4497 last

leather heels

maybe i made a mistake and sized too small?

now i'm questioning if i am currently sized right or not in Trickers....????

I have worn them now pretty hard for 4 days straight. miles at end.

at first wear, i must admit, they are not as comfortable boot out of the box as an Alden or Viberg is.

Length:

the fit on the tips of my toes feel very closed-in towards the end of the toe-box,

I could estimate my toe is about slightly less then .5 of and inch space between my big toe and the tip of the inside of the boot while wearing.

i would prefer slighly more space at the tip.

Width:

the width in the heel is comfortable.

the side width in the toebox is quite spacious and comfortable, almost too wide.

Instep / Vamp:

primarily on my left foot,

on the inside of my Instep, even unlaced the boot is pushing down on the top of my instep and making it slightly uncomfortable and leaving an impression from were the tongue meets the rest of the boot..

it feels too tight and this is really starting to bother me as i walk a tremendous amount.

do you think this will break in and give to stretch?

i'm startgin to think that i should have either sized up a half size,

or should have went with a .6 fitting width???

but there is not a great resource for Trickers in NYC unfortunately..

sizing on the internet is causing me much frustration and loss in cash!

my experience when i tried a UK 7 1/2 size (seven and half) in the same boot.

it felt too much room up front of the boot. and too wide in the toebox,

i thought that would be a problem and lack of support.

and i thought that my foot would constantly slid up into the toe box.

I would love to hear from other Tricker wearers their experience of breaking their pair in,

and if anyone has had a similar problem to mine.

can you please take a moment and let me know your advice on the matter.

thank you.

Well,

i know it is weird to re-quote oneself,

but for the purpose of sharing good information, i think it could be beneficial to help others.

So because of all my problems with my Burfords, (explained in my quoted email above)

I had Richard from the Shoehealer, make me a custom MTO Trickers Eaton.

by the way, if anyone doesn't already know from doing business with him,

i would not purchase a Tricker boot elsewhere besides dealing with him.

He is super top when it comes to fitting advice, and a pure pleasure to deal with email communication.

So i had my Eatons sized the same UK 7 fitting .5 fit

but the main difference from my troublesome Burfords,

these Eatons are built on the 4444 last.

comparing the 4444 last, I can describe the Eatons like this:

-the toe-box appears to look slightly narrower from the outside shape, but inside has more room for my toes to very comfortably move about from up and down.

-the waist of the last hugs in my arch with more support.

-the instep and tongue gently wraps around and gives me the "bandaged" support i desire from a well laced boot.

-the length of the fit in the toe-box is also a few millimeters longer, and is also feels so much more comfortable. this little bit really makes a world of difference in comfort for my taste in fit. The 4479 feels more close to the end of the toe-box.

people that complain of 4497 Trickers fitting too tight in the toe-box, should definitely consider the 4444 last then.

overall this 4444 Eaton feels like it has more fitted shape to it, and allowing more room in the vamp height and toe-box length,

i personally like this fit more-so then the 4497 Buford.

and would most likely continue on with fitting for this last for future Trickers purchases.

hope it helps.

thank you all

• 2 weeks later...

whaddup all.

I'm new.

Couldn't find thread on general boot sizing.

SO my question is generally do you girls/guys purchase your boots snug, tight, or bit bigger.

I have been told to get boots one size larger, i.e. one size up from actual snug fit, is this correct?

I'm new to purchasing boots, and currently thinking of getting a boot that is 29cm long, my foot is 26cm, is 29cm correct? or too big?.

Thanks all in advance!

peaceeeeee

Does anybody have any experience with Oak Street Bootmakers VS Red Wing? Safe to go with the same size?

I don't have any redwings to compare but i just got the camp boots in. the fit is pretty prefect, with just about 1/2-3/4 inch in the length of the toe to spare. the toebox is wide enough so that it isn't cramped, even with my thicker socks. i think it'd be safe to say they run a half size large, but take this with a grain of salt since I probably fall on the smaller size between half sizes.

for reference:

Alden 405 truebalance: 8.5 D

llbean/chippewa katahdin iron works boot - 8.5 D, could have probably gone with a 9 but these fit pretty nicely now

Oak Street camp boot - 8.5

My sizings (US):

- RRL engineer boots (Julian made) 11
- Alden trubalance 9E or EE (both feel equally comfortable to me)
- Clarks db 9
- LL Bean boots 9
- White's 9.5E
- Lone Wolf carpenters 9.5
- Red Wing (most models) 9.5D
- Chucks 9.5
- Red Wing 2268 engineers 10D
- Jack Purcell's 10
- Palladiums 10
- Vans, and most other sneakers 10
- Nike 10.5

Edited by Mich

anyone able to pass some lone wolf sizing advice, more specific the engineers, knowing that I wear a size 9 in Road Champs as well as Vibergs?

Should i pick the same size (9), or size up/

thx in advance.

some pretty confusing sizing. Does anyone know the sizing on Julian boots?

here's what I usually wear:

8D in Alden Barrie and Trubalance

8C in White's SD

7.5D in Red Wing

8 in MF Road Champs

9 in Adidas

• 2 weeks later...

In short time, I'm planning to expand the boot collection

with a pair of White's Smokejumpers or Lone Wolf "The Wireman"

Anyone know how to size, compared to these sizes?:

I'm wearing US-8D in all my Redwings (9010 GT,1911GT, 8111 IR and 8112 IR)

UK-8G in Clarks Wallabees.

In short time, I'm planning to expand the boot collection

with a pair of White's Smokejumpers or Lone Wolf "The Wireman"

Anyone know how to size, compared to these sizes?:

I'm wearing US-8D in all my Redwings (9010 GT,1911GT, 8111 IR and 8112 IR)

UK-8G in Clarks Wallabees.

i wear an 8D in Whites and an 8D in my Redwings.

but regardless, you should have your feet measurements sent to Whites for your first time dealing with them.

they will know best, and keep it on file.

any sizing advice for Sanders country boots? I'm looking at their Cheltenham brogue boot. I'm a UK 11 in Tricker's Stow and Grenson boots.

edit: by extension if anyone has experience with sizing any of Mark McNairy's English made boots that'd do as well, since I believe they're made by Sanders.

Edited by Curious_George

some pretty confusing sizing. Does anyone know the sizing on Julian boots?

here's what I usually wear:

8D in Alden Barrie and Trubalance

8C in White's SD

7.5D in Red Wing

8 in MF Road Champs

9 in Adidas

no one experience in Julian sizing?

9.5d indy boot

9d in white's semi dress

10 vans authentic

i have flat feet, and the semi dress fit better around the arch and toes than the indy. wondering if anyone else had the same sizing as me with these two shoes. i am ordering a pair of semi dress, and tried on a pair of 9.0 and they fit me very well, but it just seemed bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Engineer boot sizing:

Viberg: 8.5

Rrl: 9

Road champs: 9

HTc Santa rosa: 9, but could have probably gone with 9.5 for more room in the toes

Wesco: 8.5

Chippewa: 8.5

Non-engineer:

White's: 8.5

Thorogood 685 boot: 8.5

Alden: usually 8.5

Various others: usually 8.5

Viberg Scout boot: 9.5

Alden Trubalance: 9.5

Yuketen Maine Guide: 9.5 (snug, but no heel slippage.)

Red Wing chukka: 10

Red Wing 875: 9.5

Red Wing Wabasha chukka: 9.5

New Balance: 10.5

Vans: 10.5

Chucks: 10.5

Common Projects: 42/43 (depending on the season and model)

wings+horns: 42

Nike Free: 12

Edited by Shoreman

Red Wing Iron Rangers 10 (very good fit; a bit tight in the beginning)

Red Wing Beckman 10 (roomy, space left, therefore I put insoles in, with those very good fit)

Lone Wolf Carpenters 9.5 (roomy, space left, therefore I put insoles in, with those very good fit)

Wolverine 1K 10 (roomy, space left, therefore I put insoles in, with those very good fit)

Clarks DB 9.5 (too small, should have gone for 10)

Quoddy Grizzly sheep skin lined 10 (very good fit, snug)

Edited by indigoeagle

How do you guys with wide feet size your RW's? I had a pair a while ago, I went down a full size to get the length right, but they ended up being so narrow I had to get rid of them. Now I found a pair of 6" round toes at a very good price, so I am tempted to give RW another go.

Should I just go for my normal size, as opposed to the general half/full size down? I tend to wear heavy socks, so maybe even half a size up? Are there any measurement charts that tell the width of the last?

That's my problem with RW's they're longer, but also narrower than other boots of the same size. Maybe you can try a wider width.

Do they really come in different last widths? I haven't seen anything but D last in europe at least.

Anyway, I got a pair of 6" round toe in size 10.5, which would be a half or a full size up from my normal size. They fit really well, width is perfect and the arch support is in the right place. The heel slips around a little bit even though I am wearing my medium weight smart wool socks, so I do expect some blisters. I have maybe half an inch left between the edge of my toe to the end of the boot, which allows some toe wiggeling. They fit almost exactly the way a hiking boot is supposed to fit, except for the heel slip. I think maybe a half size down would have been alright after a few weeks of breaking them in, but they didn't have any left in stock.

The down side? They look fucking hilarious. Like heritage clown shoes. Especially since I'm short, I think a tall person would have been able to get away with it. I always wear slim straight jeans (LVC 505), which only exaggerates the clown effect.

To sum it up: If you have wide feet, don't listen to all the bullshit about how RW's run large, cause they really don't. Don't order a pair online, go in to a store and try them on. Also, wear heavy socks, the boots are designed for that and they won't fit properly unless you do.