Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

im never shopping at lowes again. the guy basically read aloud the box labels when i asked if i should use a copper or brass nipple when replacing the valve. went to homedepot afterwards and some old guy explained to me exactly why i can only use a threaded copper one. spent 45 minutes confused @ lowes, 5 minutes confident @ homedepot

Edited by fobsquad

just got back from Magic / Project in Vegas. Most of the "urban" or "directional streetwear" was absolutely the most laughable shit I have ever seen. We have finally tipped into the completely non-sensical, the "I'm saying I don't give a fuck, but so many fucks are definitely given". A$AP Rocky has paved the way for people to dress like complete idiots.

anyone know of a good way to practice foreign language use that doesn't cost a lot of money? i want to try to continue to improve my french after i graduate, and i also want to (re-)learn spanish. for the former i imagine i could try to find some sort of mutual group to practice with, but i don't know how. for the latter i would definitely need courses. they would pretty much have to be somewhat inexpensive but i'd pay more for better quality. both cases would pretty much have to be in person - i would probably slack off/lose interest in any online/digital program. i'll be located in a major city so i should have access to stuff, i just don't really know what.

How inexpensive are you talking? Community colleges offer foreign language classes and are generally not an awful deal for the amount of instruction you get.

i thought of those but in my experience community college courses can end up being pretty useless if you end up with a bad/uninterested teacher. i could probably find a good professor online though now that i think of it.

anyone know of a good way to practice foreign language use that doesn't cost a lot of money? i want to try to continue to improve my french after i graduate, and i also want to (re-)learn spanish. for the former i imagine i could try to find some sort of mutual group to practice with, but i don't know how. for the latter i would definitely need courses. they would pretty much have to be somewhat inexpensive but i'd pay more for better quality. both cases would pretty much have to be in person - i would probably slack off/lose interest in any online/digital program. i'll be located in a major city so i should have access to stuff, i just don't really know what.

might have found this on this website, not sure.

http://www.memrise.com/

http://www.guardian....in-three-months

-snip-

Memrise takes advantage of a couple of basic, well-established principles. The first is what's known as elaborative encoding. The more context and meaning you can attach to a piece of information, the likelier it is that you'll be able to fish it out of your memory at some point in the future. And the more effort you put into creating the memory, the more durable it will be. One of the best ways to elaborate a memory is to try visually to imagine it in your mind's eye. If you can link the sound of a word to a picture representing its meaning, it'll be far more memorable than simply learning the word by rote.

Memrise encourages you to create a mnemonic, which it calls a "mem", for every word you want to learn. A mem could be a rhyme, an image, a video or just a note about the word's etymology, or something striking about its pronunciation. In the case of languages such as French and Chinese, where there are thousands of people learning it at any one time, you can browse through a catalogue of mems created by other members of the Memrise community. This is especially fun for Chinese, where users have uploaded videos of various logographic characters morphing into cartoons of the words they represent.

-snip-

Edited by diniro

practice with a native speaker