Samurai, Sugarcane, Oni Denim in NYC!!!!

savage

Quote:

hjj - the samurai's there are standard versions, not export models. probably the arcuate is different enough customs let it go

and fyi the english speaker at samurai is a woman (in case you need to use any gender-specific pronouns)

--- Original message by asfberg on May 28, 2006 09:29 AM

alright, do they have the red tab still?

Didn't know it was a woman, I wonder if she's hot.. must be!

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had only a few minutes to check out the store today. I must reiterate what others have been saying -- the Pure Blues are a sight to behold and have a feel that warrants multiple touches. I dare say they give 45rpms a run for the money in terms of appearance and texture. I couldn't get enough of them! I'm like friggin in love! Too bad they only had large sizes that were $600. At last I got to see the Aloha Sugarcanes. I was a bit jealous of their blue color, better than my Okinawas but who knows if they compare in fading (I love how my Okinawas have faded). Too bad no raw Warehouse now, those Duckdiggers look ugly the way they are washed. I'm so pleased that all we have been talking about here that before had a mythical quality to them now are completely tangible and real. Hope the store thrives.

Had only a few minutes to check out the store today. I must reiterate what others have been saying -- the Pure Blues are a sight to behold and have a feel that warrants multiple touches. I dare say they give 45rpms a run for the money in terms of appearance and texture. I couldn't get enough of them! I'm like friggin in love! Too bad they only had large sizes that were $600. At last I got to see the Aloha Sugarcanes. I was a bit jealous of their blue color, better than my Okinawas but who knows if they compare in fading (I love how my Okinawas have faded). Too bad no raw Warehouse now, those Duckdiggers look ugly the way they are washed. I'm so pleased that all we have been talking about here that before had a mythical quality to them now are completely tangible and real. Hope the store thrives.

hjj - still have red tab, and she hasn't sent me her picture (not strange since i never asked - guess i could ask her for a picture of her jeans since she asked me ..)

geowu - there are in english, and that's the language he would speak to her in

Pure Blue is the finest denim I have ever see. You WANT to own them. I WANT to own them. The SC Okinawa's are nice as fuck but these PB's are amazing. If there is a finer denim feel out there, you guys will have to point me to them. The fabric is beyond words. You just have to feel it. The stitching. Detail. Fit. A-fucking-mazing. I could not get over it. But at over $600 I don't think I'll be making that purchase at Blue On Greene. $160 at Bears, according to my currency converter. They're mine.

I'm ninety-three/

You're sixteen/

There is nothing more for you and I

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on May 29, 2006 at 08:33 AM

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on May 29, 2006 at 08:44 AM

From a Style Forum thread. Nice pics. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=14793&page=5

Also on that thread our very own ringring volunteered the price for the ai-001. 45000 yen. About $400. Still a better deal than over $600.

But I still would like to find a website. Ringring? xcoldricex?

I'm ninety-three/

You're sixteen/

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on May 29, 2006 at 04:24 PM

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on May 29, 2006 at 04:25 PM

Im pretty sure people looked around and couldn't find anything. I don't think there was much info about the AI-001 outside of a description by ringring, before xcoldricex started doing his thing.

Takashi, Blue On Greene, had several Samurai. They looked good, too. Stiff, you'll have your work cut out for you breaking 'em in. I didn't try them on because I was drooling over those Pure Blues. The Samurai's weren't as slubby as the PB's, but probably just as stiff, or nearly so. When I go back there, I'll try them on. I tried on the SC Hawaiian's, 'cause I bought a pair which History Pres. will ship to me tomorrow. And I tried on the PB's, naturally. Now this is completely subjective, as though this shit can be anything else, but, for me, it was PB at the #1 spot, followed by the SC 4040, and then the Samurai. I was not knocked by the Edo Ai's. And they only had the model with that belt-thing on the rear waist.

My g/f said to me as I was looking shit over and lining up my finances, "Exactly how many pair of fucking selvedge jeans do you need?" I replied, "As many as the number of shoes you buy." D'Oh!

I'm ninety-three/

You're sixteen/

Well after today I own both the 510XX-A1 and the AI-001. Differences are that the PBJ are I believe 45,000 Yen, the Samurai's retail was 52,290. The material is remarkably similar, probably identical in texture and weight but it's hard to compare because the PBJ are one wash and this I suspect exaggerates the bobblyness somewhat.

The Samurai's have more pimp factor (for Spinal Tap fans, knob on 11) but the PBJ fit appears to be better. I've not really done proper comparisons yet. The PBJ's just seem to fit like a dream for many people. Here's are some pics of the Samurai's to add to Takashi's - enjoy.

sam3.jpg

sam6.jpg

sam10.jpg

I was passing through NYC (as one does) and dropped into Blue in Greene today. [by the way --- the name is "Blue in Greene" not "Blue on Greene"].

Hey, very nice shop! Yuji and Heffner are two guys who are actually in the music business, but interested in street fashion, so since Yuji is always going back and forth between NYC and Japan (he has been living in NYC 10yrs), started this gig. Very friendly and cool guys.

Aside from Japanese denim, they also carry some nice shirts and tees, and some British street fashion, and have their own line called (wait for it...) "Heffner and Yuji". They are not corporate types at all, just two guys doing what they dig. I encourage all of you to support them -- stop into their shop and buy something. I bought one of their own-label shirts made of Japanese "shibori" tie-dye -- the fabric and detailing is first-rate.

As far as raw (rigid) denim goes, they are carrying the very nice 17oz Samurai S5000VX at the moment -- very slubby, stiff, and rough denim if you've never handled it --- they have it in a good range of sizes (32-38), and in my opinion it is well priced at $285 (retail in Japan is about JPY 25,000, so that's not much of a mark-up all things considered). One of the great thing about the Sammies is their long 36-plus-inch leg in every size. Some of the Japanese brands tend to come up short (after fully shrunk) on us taller guys.

In the one-wash and distressed line, they have, as others have noted, some Sugar Cane Okinawas (two versions) and Edo-Ais, along with Pure Blue, John Bull, and Oni, and one or two others I forget. There are not so many of these left now --- Yuji said they will be getting some more Oni in next week and another lot of Pure Blue (probably not the super-expensive AIs) in a few more weeks. To be honest I wasn't over-awed by the Sugar Canes, although the fabric is nice enough. I frankly thought the Sammies were better than most of them.

They don't have any plans for online sales at the moment; and even mail-order is a question mark (as Yuji said "we've only been open two weeks -- we don't really know what we're doing..."), so the store is it at present. Anyway, do look them up, they are decent guys and deserve your support.

Two destinations to definitely put on your list in NYC: 45RPM (both uptown and downtown shops) and Blue In Greene.

By the way, at the uptown 45RPM shop (I think 71st off Madison), they had some raw (unwashed) Jomons.

I was passing through NYC (as one does) and dropped into Blue in Greene today. [by the way --- the name is "Blue in Greene" not "Blue on Greene"].

Hey, very nice shop! Yuji and Heffner are two guys who are actually in the music business, but interested in street fashion, so since Yuji is always going back and forth between NYC and Japan (he has been living in NYC 10yrs), started this gig. Very friendly and cool guys.

Aside from Japanese denim, they also carry some nice shirts and tees, and some British street fashion, and have their own line called (wait for it...) "Heffner and Yuji". They are not corporate types at all, just two guys doing what they dig. I encourage all of you to support them -- stop into their shop and buy something. I bought one of their own-label shirts made of Japanese "shibori" tie-dye -- the fabric and detailing is first-rate.

As far as raw (rigid) denim goes, they are carrying the very nice 17oz Samurai S5000VX at the moment -- very slubby, stiff, and rough denim if you've never handled it --- they have it in a good range of sizes (32-38), and in my opinion it is well priced at $285 (retail in Japan is about JPY 25,000, so that's not much of a mark-up all things considered). One of the great thing about the Sammies is their long 36-plus-inch leg in every size. Some of the Japanese brands tend to come up short (after fully shrunk) on us taller guys.

In the one-wash and distressed line, they have, as others have noted, some Sugar Cane Okinawas (two versions) and Edo-Ais, along with Pure Blue, John Bull, and Oni, and one or two others I forget. There are not so many of these left now --- Yuji said they will be getting some more Oni in next week and another lot of Pure Blue (probably not the super-expensive AIs) in a few more weeks. To be honest I wasn't over-awed by the Sugar Canes, although the fabric is nice enough. I frankly thought the Sammies were better than most of them.

They don't have any plans for online sales at the moment; and even mail-order is a question mark (as Yuji said "we've only been open two weeks -- we don't really know what we're doing..."), so the store is it at present. Anyway, do look them up, they are decent guys and deserve your support.

Two destinations to definitely put on your list in NYC: 45RPM (both uptown and downtown shops) and Blue In Greene.

By the way, at the uptown 45RPM shop (I think 71st off Madison), they had some raw (unwashed) Jomons.

Quote:

--- Original message by frideswide on May 30, 2006 08:18 PM

cool, i still have s5000vx available for much less. 210$ shipped 32x36 for anyone interested.icon_smile_big.gif

Samurai Jeans s5000vx 210$ Shipped

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=12053

Julian Red Cali 32x32 *USED* 2 1/2 weeks. 130$ shipped -U.S only.

[url=" http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=11570"] <a href="http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=11570" target="_blank">http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=11570</a>

Quote:

--- Original message by frideswide on May 30, 2006 08:18 PM

Quote: By the way --- the name is "Blue in Greene" not "Blue on Greene"--OP: Frideswide

Blue in Green, actually, like the Miles Davis tune off Kind of Blue.

Sorry to nitpick, great review of the store.

They also had some slick BLUE leather shoulder bags there. A bunch of bucket hats. Small towels with gun prints or something.

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Quote:

Good looking item you've got there. You say "as of today". How/where did you acquire them?

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on May 30, 2006 05:23 PM

The 510XX were bought a while back - I got lucky with those, I just happened across a store that had one pair that was in my size. They were bought via Juno at Bid Service. It's the PBJ A1-001 that I got yesterday in the mail from xcoldricex. The super slubby fabric used on both pairs seems also to be featured on Farmer jeans + some of the Euro heritage Evisu's - I double took a row of them in glass cabinets in the store within Selfriges a coupla month's ago. I almost cried how they ruined the denim with the enormous painted gull.

icon_smile_sad.gif