ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

as i start packing my stuff (moving out/in in a month) i realise i got 7 jeans (at least) with still the tags.....

and i found those pants some of you may remember : denim pants made by the curator. i bought a pair 34/34 about 4 months ago, and hadnt the chance to wear it yet because those are really too tight.

i was wondering were i could post pics of those as no thread seems to fit and i dont think they justify the opening of a new one.

well anyway here is a pic. i can upload more details if you want. up to you.

5481950141_ef756d4b04_z.jpg

The remainder of our week out in Kent, on the English east coast, and Sussex.

This was our final evening in the little town called Whistable.

sunsetwchild.jpg

Bestsunset.jpg

On friday we headed south to stay with friends in Hastings, a town on the South Coast best-known as the location of the last battle the English lost on their own soil. Every school kid knows the date, 1066.

But on the way there we dropped in somewhere a bit more modern.

Bexhill Pavilion was the first International School building in Britain. I last visited over a decade ago - since then it's been restored, with a new cineman. It's great to see it looking cared-for.

bexhill2.jpg

bexhill.jpg

The architects were Erich Mendelssohn and Serge Chermayeff - Chermayeff also did the interiors of the BBC's Broadcasting House, and also designed an old Bakelite Ekio radio I own… I'll be taking it for repair in the lifetime of this contest. Mendelsohn was a German Jew who moved to the UK to flee the Nazis, I believe, and designed the building with Chermayeff, around 1934.

lamp.jpg

stairs2.jpg

stairs.jpg

We had a great time in Hastings. On the way back we stopped in Pevensey - this was where the Norman fleet sheltered when they invaded England.

Pevensey.jpg

nipperonbeach.jpg

A last drink with our friends - this pub, the Smuggler's Inn, was beautiful, must date from before 1600 - oak framed construction, and magnificent old wood floorboards.

smugglersinn.jpg

ptinpub.jpg

This building is a bit fo a contrast to Bexhill - a Roman Fort that the Normans conquered in their first few days in England - later they rebuilt it as their own castle. It's a beautiful ruin.

Battle.jpg

Paul, I'm just blown away by the amount of history in your photos. I'm not sure why it surprises me. Perhaps because there's not much in the states old enough to be 'ruins'. Beautiful photos as usual.

My daughter's 8th birthday was this weekend, and we started the festivities at our favorite wood-fired pizza shop for dinner, then off to the local soda fountain for dessert.

imagebtz.jpg

Behold, the birthday banana split!

imagenyu.jpg

They also make and sell their own chocolates.

imagegddq.jpg

The big present was her first mountain bike! Man, was she excited.

imagevvy.jpg

We got about a foot of snow that night, so not much bike riding :(

imageoue.jpg

Then my daughter and five of her girlfriends went to the climbing gym for a party. That's me and the Roys on belay.

imagelefs.jpg

imagehmu.jpg

imagebdk.jpg

The next several hours were a blur, but consisted of sugar highs and lows, a fairly successful slumber party, and then pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I tried to recover with some warm cookies out of the new Easy Bake oven.

imageltl.jpg

Very nice pictures lostinthesupermarket , Zissou and Paul T!!!

(Would love to see that old oak inn in person.)

@Mikecch

Dont apologise for the lack of updates mate, your'e doin' ok. After spending four weeks in sunny Oz I can see why you would hardly ever have a chance to wear your Roys anyway (..thanks for the OG Roys btw).

@All

I have just realised my total wear on my RxC's adds up to 2 weeks in two months! Will chuck 'em in the wash this week and hopefully post some pix soon.

Back to work on tuesday so will try to throw myself into this contest to show I have some committment.

Do you win a booby prize for coming in last? Please advise...

Glad they got to you safely Dr Heech :)

I've been wearing my Roy's almost all the time when I don't need to be in workpants, I just haven't done much interesting stuff to do photo updates.

I think you'll be OK mate, 1 month out of 12 isn't a huge deal IMO :D

(Although a wooden spoon prize would be interesting!)

I am going to try this video thing again

hey, there I am

I feel like its been too long since there was an update of me and my roys.

Before I'd sent them off to Roy to be hemmed I steamed them and used a little febreeze. I don't know if the febreeze fermented on them or had no effect, but they smelled awful yesterday afternoon. Decided to soak them:

DSCN8898.jpg

went to see 'the green hornet' at the Crystal Theater in Arapahoe,NE. For 2 adult tickets, medium popcorn,skittles, and a small coke it was 10$ I almost crapped my pants. When we lived in Omaha it was usually 10 just for a ticket.

DSCN8901.jpg When I got back from the movie the water was this really pale, almost piss yellow color after the hot soak so I decided to go ahead and give them a gentle wash in the shower with dr bronnners

let them air dry overnight, got up had some breakfast with the wife:

DSCN8902.jpg

Went into a sort of food coma, and once i'd had enough coffee I decided to start in on some chores. The only interesting chore I've done all day is starting in on this typewriter I bought recently. It still works, but several of the keys stick, and it looks as though it hadn't been used for 15-20 years atleast.

DSCN8849.jpg

DSCN8880.jpg

DSCN8884.jpg

Washed some shirts yesterday with the little guy.

The galvanized bucket I use for all hand washings.

007smallp.jpg

add a little bit of water.

008smallf.jpg

some Dr. Bronners soap. Mint.

014smallb.jpg

The dirty shirts. MF Utility shirt and a KTH work shirt. Two of my faves.

013small.jpg

Let the little guy have a go at it. He was amazed that I was gonna let him spray water on my shirts.

015smallo.jpg

I had to get down and dirty with them, while my son decided he was gonna practice the robot. The little dudes jeans are about ready for some cleaning as well. Maybe next week.

023small.jpg

027smallj.jpg

We played a little bit while they dried. My son is sporting his new fireman rain boots.

050medium.jpg

047medium.jpg

046mediumi.jpg

What I was wearing today.

KTH polka dot

Dappers suspenders

brando Fryes.

017medium.jpg

012medium.jpg

Medine i am amazed by the evo you have on your cinch, what do you do exactly?

I'm a student in New Orleans. My pair just had their first machine wash, 2 month update soon..

Yep, he's getting bigger, but those new fireman boots help out a lot as well.

The Roys & I had a fun weekend…

I got together with a bunch of friends & we headed up to Huntsville for some ice climbing.

I prefer my soft-shells for climbing, but could only fit the Roys under the hardshell bibs! Turned out to be a good thing, because conditions were really wet! Here are some pics, most of which I got off a friend's point-and-shoot.

There was lots of wet snow - I switched over to double boots for the climb

b7b5ace9.jpg

Gearing up for the hike over to the frozen waterfalls

be3b1c2c.jpg

A couple on the ice

24f9ad86.jpg

94ac55fa.jpg

On belay

2e2177f9.jpg

Taking a break

ce51373c.jpg

More climbing

57d99a11.jpg

0c9ed4a6.jpg

Mellowing out …

61da7d40.jpg

Back home

feb89637.jpg

The Roys are pretty loose - they've stretched a lot, but I am going to hold off washing for a while yet….

I'm loving the substantive posts lately! Awesome shit, riff! robbie - that breakfast makes me miss America. And fascinating learning as always, Paul.

Now then, about my weekend activities: Saturday was pretty much the day of Doing Things That I've Been Wanting To Do For A While. This is going to be a quad-post beast, I hope you all will forgive me...

First up: dirt-dyeing. See the mud-dyeing thread for much much more, but here are a few snapshots of the pre-dyeing on Saturday morning

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

While the tea-dye pre-treatment was ongoing, I headed out for some errands

IMG_0900.jpg

American Optical

Bdg

zissou

ROYxCone

Chinesearmybootsneakers

Riding dirty

IMG_0903.jpg

really need to get the inside of my car cleaned...

To a tailor (yes, my favorite pass-time... not a lot else to do here...)

IMG_0906.jpg

And acted on another long time "plan": taking a shot at getting a suit made locally! I decided to go to this place for the simple (irrational) fact that it's more expensive than most tailors and has a nicer shop than most tailors... so hopefully that means they produce higher quality stuff? I figure I have about a 40% chance of success on this one. Hah!

The plan: navy blue linen suit, lined with kitenge. Get African!

IMG_0895.jpg

Decided to try on some of the pre-made goods while I was there. Which goes best with the Roys?

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

I do dig the buttons, though...

IMG_0918.jpg

Next, dropped three pair of shoes off for repair, washing and polishing. I won't bother with pictures of the final product, because it's just as shoddy as you'd expect.

IMG_0921.jpg

Some construction going on in Bugolobi Trading Center

IMG_0924.jpg

Picked up a utensil I needed for the dyeing

IMG_0927.jpg

Popped into some second-hand clothing shops

IMG_0928.jpg

Nothing remarkable, other than a couple interesting lables:

IMG_0929.jpg

blurry, but I like "Authentic cowboy style made to last"

IMG_0931.jpg

"Any tougher they'd rust"

matoke, anyone?

IMG_0934.jpg

or chicken?

IMG_0935.jpg

Awesome knife-sharpening contraption

IMG_0937.jpg

And headed to a shop I've been wanting to check out for a while.

IMG_0940.jpg

"East Africa's largest vertically integrated textile mill" appeals to me

On the way into town - this place/sign has always confused me

IMG_0943.jpg

Mean-mugging myself while bored in traffic.

IMG_0945.jpg

"Downtown" Kampala

IMG_0946.jpg

All the right buzz-phrases!

IMG_0948.jpg

Uuuuunfortunately the garments are all absolute craaaaaap - in terms of construction, fit... everything.

IMG_0957.jpg

better or less good than ROYxCone?

LOVE this sign. Maybe that's how Museveni "won"?

IMG_0959.jpg

Back home, picked up some refreshment. Surprisingly delicious, and about $0.80

IMG_0960.jpg

Back to the dyeing - time for the shirts to hit the mud (more details in the mud-dyeing thread again)

IMG_0989.jpg

tasty...

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

While the shirts dried on Sunday, I decided that I would find a place I'd never been before to post up and read for a bit.

Wound up finding a place called "Capital Palace Hotel" or something. The upstairs of the restaurant area is remarkably not-cheesy! Missing are all the usual desidrata of Ugandan hotel decore: plastic flowers, vynil floral table cloths, linoleum everything... this place feels like a tree-house!

IMG_1042.jpg

Well done

The subject of today's reading: my uncle's recently self-published book.

IMG_1043.jpg

Got a few dozen pages into it, and it's interesting and a smooth, accessible read

IMG_1055.jpg

Peterson Shamrock Smooth (408) Fishtail

H&M denim shirt (heresy to be touching the Cone denim...)

ROYxCone

coca fine blue leather "boat shoes"

And I leave you with today's fit pic. The polo fits like crap, but I figured I should at least wear it once!

IMG_1088.jpg

over the weekend we put on overalls and glassed our decks

super fine cloth draped out off grain for best wrap

duck2b.jpg

filling mesh with resin

duck3i.jpg

mr's one done

duck4.jpg

and his and hers done

duck5.jpg

shaping transitions for the hatches out of some of mr's left over aviation ply

duck6.jpg

and a roof/deck shout

duck7.jpg

^ those are gorgeous! (pants and kayaks)

Holdup, superfriends...

How come we're allowing this to slide by without comment (furious argument/convincing)?

too bad I'm not wearing my pair much due to the snug waist issue

^ Oh, didn't see that.

Had to recheck his post coz I thought you altered it :P

Come'n pomata, more wear and more pics :)

Convincing argument: the waist won't be so snug if you start wearing it more!