state your beer, drinkers

I haven't seen any Parabola yet but was told yesterday by the state rep that it's not coming to TX until May.

Your guys' distribution is pretty late on that if that's true. It came and went swiftly here in Southern California.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been digging El Segundo Brewery's IPAs.  I can get their beers extremely fresh, and am pleased to see that they date their bottles, which is great.  I got their Hammerland IPA the day after it was bottled from a local liquor store.

If anyone has extra Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Coffee Stout that they can get, or that they are willing to part ways with, please let me know!

^hammerland  from el segundo brewery is good.  as far as dipas also really liking lupulin river from knee deep and citra showers from noble ale works.  

also that same wholefoods that still had parabolas also has that lagunitias high westified imperial coffee stout in stock. im in socal though

Edited by domdomdomdom

I'm close enough to Three Floyds to find some of their beers in town. Stone also rarely disappoints. I've also been really impressed with Firestone Walker, Pipeworks, Founders, and Half Acre. Still waiting to get to try something from Russian River and The Alchemist.

Top 5 right now:

5. 3F Dreadnaught

4. Firestone Walker Double Jack

3. Founders Breakfast Stout

2. Half Acre Daisy Cutter

1. 3F Cimmerian Sabertooth Berzerker

The alchemist is great but Hill Farmstead is the GOATIE (at least they brew more beers). The alchemist restaurant was great. For whatever reason, their beer wasn't amazing when they were operating was a brewpub. I used to go there every few weeks.

Edited by herpsky

How was that Repose? I've been wanting to try some Jester King stuff

I haven't had it. I had this beer called equipoise and was amazing. I'm just gonna set it aside for now. The beer is fairly expensive and might have set it aside for a special occasion. JK's distro is now smaller and we usually have to go to the JK ranch to buy the better ones.

I'll be out at Jester King tomorrow for the Sin Frontera release tomorrow, always enjoy going out there on the weekends.

Been wanting to try some Crooked Stave beer for some time now, so if it comes in the form of a Jester King collaboration even better.

I'll be out at Jester King tomorrow for the Sin Frontera release tomorrow, always enjoy going out there on the weekends.

Been wanting to try some Crooked Stave beer for some time now, so if it comes in the form of a Jester King collaboration even better.

how was it

^ I heard really good things about Sin Frontera.  Crooked Stave & JK can't be bad.

I'm thinking about driving over to JK next Fri/Sat and hoping Coquetier (newest announced release) is still around.  Holla if anyone's interested in meeting up.

firestone had a tap takeover at a local spot last night, got a few 10oz pours of '15 parabola and XVIII ale.  Also got a tasting flight of Anniversary 14, 15, 16 and 17.  palate was wrecked

lupulin river for tonight though.   I wouldn't trade CA IPA selection with any other state, except maybe VT

c21f6203-ea40-4b5c-8f8f-68b432c8c754_zps

Edited by domdomdomdom

^ I heard really good things about Sin Frontera.  Crooked Stave & JK can't be bad.

I'm thinking about driving over to JK next Fri/Sat and hoping Coquetier (newest announced release) is still around.  Holla if anyone's interested in meeting up.

I might pull up. 

California, on average, has the highest number of highly rated beers than any other state. 

Some of the craziest brews I've had are from New England, namely VT and Southern Maine. 

I know that the Midwest has dope brews but that's one area I don't know anything about.

Georgia def. has some interesting stuff like Terrapin, Sweetwater (not exactly an artisanal brewery but hey), and etc.

Russian River is the most interesting in CA, I think. Though I think the Pliny series is kind of underwhelming. 

Founders used to be considered good before newer microbreweries started pumping out good beer. Their beers are decent but nothing to write home about. KBS is good but it's not like anything out of the ordinary. 

On contrary to what people want to believe, I found most breweries from the Pacific NW kinda subpar. One guy who is a self proclaimed beer connoseiur said base camp was good. That place is pure garbage. I think Deschutes, though it's no longer considered a microbrewery, puts out consistently good brews. FYI, I went on a tour of breweries in Portland. I don't know much about WA.

Jester King, without question, is one of my favorite breweries. I just haven't found anything comparable. 

I also went to tour Mikeller in Copenhagen. It's one of the top breweries, to say the least but it wasn't a game changer or anything. 

Firestone walker is p decent but that shit isn't a game changer.

Edited by herpsky

I think the best part about CA isn't any one brew or brewery but the fact that you can have something new that's above average every single day. Have you tried the rare barrel or Santa Adarius in in NorCal? Or maybe toolbox in SD? Awesome sours. For me I'm all in on any good BA beers and we have a good selection of that in CA too. Remy's pappy, Black Tuesday, chocolate rain, darkstar November, BA alesmith stuff, and parabola/sucaba off the top of my head. Not even gonna mention all the good ipas/dipas. I won't say we're the best but I know I we have it good here.  For the record I think that Lupulin I posted above is better than Pliny, at least for my taste.

Jester King is still at the top of my list to try, might have to trade for some because I don't myself making it out to Austin any time soon.

Absolutely agree about the north east, I've only had Lawson's SOS and Heady but they're damn good.

Edited by domdomdomdom

I think the best part about CA isn't any one brew or brewery but the fact that you can have something new that's above average every single day. Have you tried the rare barrel or Santa Adarius in in NorCal? Or maybe toolbox in SD? Awesome sours. For me I'm all in on any good BA beers and we have a good selection of that in CA too. Remy's pappy, Black Tuesday, chocolate rain, darkstar November, BA alesmith stuff, and parabola/sucaba off the top of my head. Not even gonna mention all the good ipas/dipas. I won't say we're the best but I know I we have it good here.  For the record I think that Lupulin I posted above is better than Pliny, at least for my taste.

Jester King is still at the top of my list to try, might have to trade for some because I don't myself making it out to Austin any time soon.

Absolutely agree about the north east, I've only had Lawson's SOS and Heady but they're damn good.

Yeah, I haven't had some of those CA beers. Lawson's really hit or miss. The sunshine whatever is really good but the other ones are nothing to write home about but hype is insane out there.

So there's Habanero Sculpin at my Whole Foods now. Wonder how that is.

Tried to pick up a sixer of Grapefruit Sculpin, but the bottle shop was only taking cash. Gotta go back later and get it. Unfortunately there was no Habanero Sculpin.

Lol thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll check for single bottles somewhere.

Habanero sculpin is very spicy from a drinkability standpoint. The flavor profile was nice, but after having one I never had a desire to try it ever again. Not subtle enough for a full sixer.

The grapefruit sculpin is very good, but as somebody else mentioned in this thread the regular sculpin ipa is IMO the standard as far as their beers go. I feel like the grapefruit was trying too hard to be unique.

I recently had the Big Eye and wasn't overly impressed, too bitter and not enough sweetness

Edited by Fycus