Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I think if your trubalance is on the snug side, go with the same size in modified and if you have room to spare in the trubalance, size down a half.... perhaps.

They are roomier than trubalance in the toebox and hold the instep closer.

The Modified Last is one of the most versatile lasts ever developed. It will fit a high arch contracted type foot more successfully than any other last. Yet, it will fit with excellent results the pronated weakened foot type as well. This universal aspect of the Modified Last gives it a unique reputation as a reliable fitter for true comfort.

The Modified is essentially an oversized last with a snug waist and arch which gently support the foot in a balanced position in weight bearing. The broad toe offers unrestricted toe room along the inner border as well as along the third, fourth and fifth toes. The short backpart holds the foot in firm control even with prescribed corrections.

The Modified Last is used in fittings where a high arch or contracted foot type is found. There is ample room to accommodate plantar inserts where prescribed. The Modified Last may be used for pronated foot shapes, particularly flexible feet which will respond to prescribed correction. Remember that the Modified Last carries heavy ribbed right and left flanged shanks... Right and left heels... Counters slightly extended on the inside.

Alden's Modified is an effective last for delivering a new standard of all day comfort, offering welcome relief to those who suffer foot stress, fatigue, and pain.

Speaking of modified last....

DSC02504.JPG

information from: http://www.mouldedshoe.com/

As the next chapter in my saga of irregular Alden 405s:

I got in contact with the Alden factory (they don't seem to be on the up and up with email, but their response on the phone was very nice). The guy at the factory told me to mail the 405s back and they would take a look and see if anything was wrong.

Barely 48 hours and one UPS Ground shipment later, Alden called me back and told me they just had a guy with 7.5 feet try on the boots and lace them up. They didn't go into much detail, but agreed "There's something wrong with those boots." I also mentioned my sizing problem to the guy at the factory and they'll be shipping me a pair of 7.5EEE to see how they fit on me (apparently, 7.5EEs are a very rare item, 12 week wait period at the very least).

I figure I'll go maximum width instead of going up to size 8, since my toes are where guys on the thread say they should be (barely reaching the contrast stitching). If the boots "float" a bit I'll throw in a set of inserts, pad them up and see what happens. I have thick feet too, so hopefully that'll take up some of the width (some shoe fitting advice I've seen suggest going up one width size for thick feet).

All in all, good response and turnaround by Alden! The San Fran store which I called a few days ago was also helpful with their input. Right now I just blame the NY store for my ills, lol.

Thanks for your help man. Turbulance does fit snug on me.. I might go with 8.5D I guess. But I might go to Moulded Shoes tomorrow just to be sure. They have this Black suede boot I wanna check out anyway. That shoe is close to what I'm getting. This is mine..

simg8430fz2.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just add a 12 A/C to the order - will ya!

edit: where are you ordering them?!

I think if your trubalance is on the snug side, go with the same size in modified and if you have room to spare in the trubalance, size down a half.... perhaps.

They are roomier than trubalance in the toebox and hold the instep closer.

Speaking of modified last....

DSC02504.JPG

information from: http://www.mouldedshoe.com/

It makes sense my grail would appear at the pinnacle of being broke. There is nothing I would change about that boot.

im going to check them out tomorrow morning. want me to find if they have your size and how much?

:D

I'm not sure if I want to know if they have my size...it might cause me to do something ridiculously stupid. See if they have it in 6.5. I got my first pair of real shoes, 405s, from Maurice at Moulded Shoes a little over two years ago.

beware of factory rejects at moulded shoe. most of their stock is. look for the circle R stamped on the sole and/or on the inside.

i have a couple pairs on the anatomica modified last and one is 9.5c/e and the other a 10c/e. in the true balance and the barrie i wear a 10c/e. really is almost the same fit from last to last in terms of room in the toe. the modified just hugs the arch a little more. if you lack an arch to your foot i wouldn't recommend this last.

Thanks for your help man. Turbulance does fit snug on me.. I might go with 8.5D I guess. But I might go to Moulded Shoes tomorrow just to be sure. They have this Black suede boot I wanna check out anyway. That shoe is close to what I'm getting. This is mine..

simg8430fz2.jpg

will do.

I'm not sure if I want to know if they have my size...it might cause me to do something ridiculously stupid. See if they have it in 6.5. I got my first pair of real shoes, 405s, from Maurice at Moulded Shoes a little over two years ago.

will do, thank you.

beware of factory rejects at moulded shoe. most of their stock is. look for the circle R stamped on the sole and/or on the inside.

i have a couple pairs on the anatomica modified last and one is 9.5c/e and the other a 10c/e. in the true balance and the barrie i wear a 10c/e. really is almost the same fit from last to last in terms of room in the toe. the modified just hugs the arch a little more. if you lack an arch to your foot i wouldn't recommend this last.

I figure I'll go maximum width instead of going up to size 8, since my toes are where guys on the thread say they should be (barely reaching the contrast stitching).

In all seriousness, where your toes end up has very little to do with what is the right size. The best judge is by far whether or not your arch matches where the arch in the shoe is. (Imagine if you lost all your toes... would you buy a shoe 3 sizes smaller?)

In all seriousness, where your toes end up has very little to do with what is the right size. The best judge is by far whether or not your arch matches where the arch in the shoe is. (Imagine if you lost all your toes... would you buy a shoe 3 sizes smaller?)

Good point. The arch on the boot were right where the arch on my feet were (assuming the 405 arches tend to be flatter, not like the spectacular arch support Whites semi-dresses have), so in terms of length fit it was pretty good. My main problem was still the width, and I've see all kinds of contradicting advice thrown about. Everything from "It'll pinch, but leather stretches and it'll be a good fit" to "You should be able to wiggle your toes as if you were bare foot." Right now I'm going with the bare foot theory, since the "pinching" gave me some pains in the pinkies of my feet, e.g. blisters were showing up.

Pretty excited but I just got these...

IMG_7587.jpg

Red Wing Gentlemen Traveler.

1911 or 9011?! look like 9011 ...

from the pic (lacing) it looks like you bought them really small. how much space do you have big toe to cap and what is your size in those vs. your average normal size in boots (e.g. alden)?

read my little write-up on ringxring.com on these boots:

http://ringxring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=216

it is a few month since i wrote this, so pls comment if there are some mistakes!

Can anyone tell me how the width is on the Tricker's Stow? I'm a 10 1/2G UK in my Grenson Ilkey boots (also 11 1/2D in RW 1907s and 11E in Alden 405s). Would it be safe to size up to an 11 UK in the Stow since it's a medium width or would it be way too long? I'd go with the wide fitting Malton if it came in more colors but I'm really set on a pair of black brogues.

1911 or 9011?! look like 9011 ...

from the pic (lacing) it looks like you bought them really small. how much space do you have big toe to cap and what is your size in those vs. your average normal size in boots (e.g. alden)?

read my little write-up on ringxring.com on these boots:

http://ringxring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=216

it is a few month since i wrote this, so pls comment if there are some mistakes!

yeah you have a good eye there buddy noticed that too..

i think this guy has a big ball measurement.. anyways or im just thinking hes wearing redwing like how kanye is wearing it not a bad thing though but kind of sloppy well its just me

anyways nice pick up!

hey ya'll, I just got my ring boots from Arrow Moccasin. I'm definitely impressed. Ring boots have been on my buy list for well over a year now. I was originally gonna go with quoddy but the price just kept going up and up. The price on these has stayed the same and is now less than half the price of the quoddy ring boots w/ double leather soles.

The leather is very thick but still soft and pliable. The stitching is excellent and they look really cool. They're comfy and fit my 8D foot very nicely. Here's some cell phone pics:

10252008fy0.th.jpg

10252008002lt9.th.jpg

10252008003tq0.th.jpg

edit: I forgot to add that the turn around was only 2 weeks or so. The website states that it can be up to six weeks but I got mine much quicker.

Can anyone tell me how the width is on the Tricker's Stow? I'm a 10 1/2G UK in my Grenson Ilkey boots (also 11 1/2D in RW 1907s and 11E in Alden 405s). Would it be safe to size up to an 11 UK in the Stow since it's a medium width or would it be way too long? I'd go with the wide fitting Malton if it came in more colors but I'm really set on a pair of black brogues.

ok, let me try to help ...well, you are referring to the width correct?

fitting 5 would be equivalent to u.s. E width according to shoeinternational which is where i got my stow. But i find it to be similar to D width.

Since that you wear G in grenson. I would assume a fitting 6 would fit you better.

About the length

i worn my RW 8130 boot size 8D

but i order my stow Size UK 7 fitting 5 and it fit perfect

if you are going with the RW size, i would assume the UK10.5 fitting 6 or UK 11 fitting 5 would most likely fit you.

Also, have you consider the Expresso, maroon for the stow, they are amazing:)

Regarding the sizing, is all my experience, it might differ from other since my size are much smaller than yours.

also, the rakuten site has the exterior measurement for the stow....

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/eton/624386/625354/

but is in japanese...

selling three pairs of red wings 1909 (worn 3 hrs.), 1911 (unworn) and 1914 (unworn) in size 10D here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=63353

reason: they are one size too small. bought myself the 1911 and 1914 in 11D. those above were getting bored in my closet - time to set them free!

pm me if interested or wanting to negotiate!

rirawin, have you tried a conditioner like Lexol? I've started using it on all my calfskin shoes about 2 years ago (new or used if they are from ebay) and they really make the leather more supple IMO. I've never tried to revive shoes in a condition similar to your trickers though. If you want to try a conditioner, I would recommend Lexol, I apply it with a soft cloth and wait at least overnight before re-polishing. Best of luck!