usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

I didnt really see why Bruni gave Ippudo a 1 star, only complaints was the fish and crowd control, but who orders fish at a ramen place? You only order ramen, gyoza and maybe cha shu don.

i tried minca the other day, I ordered the wahoo ramen, was not impressed. I'll go back for the house ramen another day.

Supposedly Momokawa makes a great asari ramen. Theres a place in midtown that makes supposedly the best ramen and you have to line up at 11am as it gets sold out pretty quick. They make their ramen a clear seafood based broth.

Santouka is still my favorite, probably the only reason I goto jersey, they're opening a Manhattan location.

I'm praying we a get a Danshichi in NYC.

ippudo doesn't serve gyoza. i guess that's the only problem.

their ramen is legit though.

i used to go to santtouka with my parents whenever we went to mitsuwa.

good times.

well they do they reviews with 1 star already being ok. and getting reviewed by the times means you're probably pretty good already.

anyway as a full experience if i was looking for a nice place to eat, ippudo isn't that great honestly--wait is forever and service is mediocre, but i go there every time im in new york anyway because the ramen is just that amazing.

im still curious about how those instant ippudo ramen bowls that DaBestSpoona had a while back in this thread though. that sounds amazing right now

I still havent eaten them yet as I still have a ton of fresh ramen from jland to eat. I'm saving the instant ippudo for an emergency.

The fresh packaged ippudo I bought a few years back had more toppings than what is currently served at the nyc branch. It came with with one serving each of akamaru and shiromaru, garlic, vacuum sealed cha shu, takana, woods ear, and some other stuff.

I really hate going to ippudo, its always crowded, overpriced for ramen(blame nyc real estate) and doesnt feel like a ramen place. I just want to be in and out in 10 minutes. i want a vending machine where I just pay and hand it to the chef and get my bowl.

i don't expect good service at a ramen joint.

also, you gotta go there solo.

that ramen place next to hairmates is also good.

their ramen is mediocre but their chukadon is super good.

goto the midtown location of menkuetei, its much much much better than the one next to hairmates.

i had the best chuka don ever at the midtown location.

It was heavenly. Must go. 5 out of 5 stars. no joke.

told u so, their hiyashi chuka is really good.

New Kumamoto chain opened 23rd and lex called Terazawa

Another tonkotsu place. =(

I saw that ad in Japion. Looks pretty sketchy but who knows?

cash only at menkuitei. don't forget this, guys.

img0042m.jpg

CHUKA DON CONCEPT. Taken with my iphone. Gorged this while my friends went to cafe orlin for some shitty breakfast food.

Flying from Scotland to NYC on Saturday to see NIN/Janes Addiction. I've only got 1 day to explore/shop which I know isn't much, but I'm intending spending the day in and around SoHo/Nolita (This is all based off the SUFU maps as I've never actually been to the USA)

Shops I'd like to visit are Union, Bape, DQM etc. And I want to eat as much nice food as I can too.

Can anyone recommend me a plan of attack so as to get as much out of my day as possible?

The hotel I'm at is next to Times Square, any recommendations for drinking near by?

If been through all the NYC threads and jotted down loads of good info, but there's no chance of me doing half the things I'd like to :(

recon (may be closed for renovation) --> supreme --> Union --> Busy Work Shop / Ice cream --> DQM --> classic kicks

if you have time, you can check out the alife joints in the LES

recon (may be closed for renovation) --> supreme --> Union --> Busy Work Shop / Ice cream --> DQM --> classic kicks

if you have time, you can check out the alife joints in the LES

recon isn't closed for renovation, it's just closed. i think they're planning on opening up somewhere in brooklyn.

in terms of food/drinking recommendations it might help if we knew what you were into/looking for.

make sure you go to century 21 opposite ground zero/WTC for copping cheap designer jawns :D

theres a subway station there too..

it's sorta out of the way and MOST of the time

they have really shitty jawns that aren't even worth looking at.

Im gonna be in NY this weekend:

Food: Jean george, bouchon bakery, Shake shack, Craft, Chikalicious, Per se, Momofuku

Am I missing anything that I will regret if this is the last time i ever visit ny?

ANY SALES??