Documentary film about jeans - Jeans, a faded blue planet.

highway61

Hi everybody, check this, the film is right now in the cutting room, and this is a rough 10mn trailer, without the complete cast of character (Kiya from Self Edge will be in the final cut) and without the real visual design of the archives footage currently in process.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1t4a_jeans-a-faded-blue-planet_shortfilms

The documentary will be issued on June and broadcasted in France and Germany in september/october on the cultural channel Arte.

It tells the complete story of the jeans, from 1873 up to nowadays, crossing jeanmakers like Hiro and Ryo from Ooe Yofukuten, Jean Touitou from APC, Julian Dash from San Francisco, Mr Manabe from Japan Blue/Momotaro, Brice Partouche from April77 jeans and records or denimheads like Ruedi Karrer from Rodolfos Jeans Museum of Zurich or the best vintage shops in Tokyo. You will find too some footage from Warehouse, Sugarcane or Studio d'artisan shops in Harajuku or Omotesando and shots of the Nevada jeans explained by Lynn Downey official historian from LS&Co. It will also explain for instance what is selvedge denim by showing old shuttle loom from 19e century. The film has been shot with the Red One camera (the same one used in District 9 or El Che), maybe the best HD camera in the world.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd1t4a_jeans-a-faded-blue-planet_shortfilms

More informations on the film website :

http://fadedblueplanet.com/

Hi everybody, check this, the film is right now in the cutting room, and this is a rough 10mn trailer, without the complete cast of character (Kiya from Self Edge will be in the final cut) and without the real visual design of the archives footage currently in process.

]

Are you connected with the movie?

Can you explain why the website rips off photos from a book, without payment to the copyright holders, or even credit?

Are you connected with the movie?

Can you explain why the website rips off photos from a book, without payment to the copyright holders, or even credit?

Uh oh! I think the writer of suck a book is kind enough to help out fellow denim heads usually if he is kindly asked.

On the other hand there are some denim authors that fly off the handle and cut people up for such acts.

Also, why would such a movie be made and not seek to contact a person that has written what some would say is the "authoritative" book on the entire denim/jeans subject and at least interview him?

Anyways, looks like a decent project though.

Uh oh! I think the writer of suck a book is kind enough to help out fellow denim heads usually if he is kindly asked.

On the other hand there are some denim authors that fly off the handle and cut people up for such acts.

Also, why would such a movie be made and not seek to contact a person that has written what some would say is the "authoritative" book on the entire denim/jeans subject and at least interview him?

Anyways, looks like a decent project though.

They're welcome to consult whoever they want, Lynn D is probably expert enough for all of us - but I'm surprised an apparently reputable company would steal copyright material (and I stress it's not necessarily mine, it's many photographers). I hate that attitude - are they making their film for love and giving it away, or do they expect to be paid for their work?

Anyway, I shall investigate. If they haven't paid for stills used in the movie, things could get interesting.

Copyright issues aside, (and I know that this movie represents the reality of all the "denim scenes" today) I'm actually somewhat disappointed with the direction of the documentary so far. Will have to wait for the final product but yes I realize it can't all be vintage/repro-centric...

we already talked about that film a wjile ago. dont know in wich thread.

i think paul is right , theyh should have asked at least.

still nice post , caus the dailymotion part is new. always nice to see lynn

I really wish I was at home so that I could watch this.

that rapper guy is a moron.

edit: I'm referring to the homophobe that thinks a gay person is going to grab his ass cause his boxers are hangin out.

Dude you didn't know that all gay dudes are into the rapper type with the boxers hangin out? Nice juicy man ass.

They're welcome to consult whoever they want, Lynn D is probably expert enough for all of us - but I'm surprised an apparently reputable company would steal copyright material (and I stress it's not necessarily mine, it's many photographers). I hate that attitude - are they making their film for love and giving it away, or do they expect to be paid for their work?

Anyway, I shall investigate. If they haven't paid for stills used in the movie, things could get interesting.

Ok, let stop the suspicion. We are not trying to avoid to pay copyrights or steal pictures or ideas from anyone. Here the supermessage I've sent to you Paul a few hours ago after your post. Had no answer so far.

"Hello, I'm a member of the film crew.

Sorry if the website have photos from your book (Because I suppose you are Paul Trynka) I can't figure out which one you say specifically because we have pictures from Levi's archives from Lynn Downey, Dorothea Lange, Lewis Hine and other photographers or from different sources. In the film we pay (a lot for a documentary budget) for the photos or footage we use. Let us know what photos are from you and we will take them out or find an agreement and of course mention credits. Sorry again, the website is just a support to the film, we don't try to steal anything from anyone.

All the best."

This post was just to show a 'work in progress' as the film is still in the editing room. the trailer is not a commercial film, just a 'glimpse' of our work. So far the film hasn't found all the money it needs and we are not able so far for exemple to afford all the music we would like. About photos and film footage, everything is checked and rights are paid in every case. This means a lot of time before the end of the film and two persons are working on this right now. The website is just here to support the future film and it may have some unauthorized pics. It could be a mistake from us and we'll take the pics out.

Making a documentary is very difficult as long as it quite impossible to raise enough money to do it very well. And the matter to make interviews of any expert in the world, about any topic, is just not possible. We had only a few days of shooting for a small crew.

Anyway, read again the first post of this thread, the guy wrote :

"where can i pirate this now? "

Don't you think that ours films are stolen too on dailymotion or P2P ?

Anyway, Paul, you can reach me by supermessage and we can speak about all this quietly. Let us at least try to defend us in this trial.

Sorry for my bad english.

What's nuts is that highway61 has a join date of 2006, but only has 2 posts, both of which have come today.

But, anyways, the best to you highway61 in your documentary venture.

Edit: That rapper is a fucking retard too.

word.

nice to see Hiro and Ryo from Ooe Yofukuten!

and that other japanese guy looks like a denim Hattori Hanzo. cool

there's also the swissjeansfreak! he's such a nice guy

but my impression is that you are mixing the holy and the profane...

just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...
Ok, let stop the suspicion. We are not trying to avoid to pay copyrights or steal pictures or ideas from anyone. Here the supermessage I've sent to you Paul a few hours ago after your post. Had no answer so far.

"Hello, I'm a member of the film crew.

Sorry if the website have photos from your book (Because I suppose you are Paul Trynka) I can't figure out which one you say specifically because we have pictures from Levi's archives from Lynn Downey, Dorothea Lange, Lewis Hine and other photographers or from different sources. In the film we pay (a lot for a documentary budget) for the photos or footage we use. Let us know what photos are from you and we will take them out or find an agreement and of course mention credits. Sorry again, the website is just a support to the film, we don't try to steal anything from anyone.

All the best."

This post was just to show a 'work in progress' as the film is still in the editing room. the trailer is not a commercial film, just a 'glimpse' of our work. So far the film hasn't found all the money it needs and we are not able so far for exemple to afford all the music we would like. About photos and film footage, everything is checked and rights are paid in every case. This means a lot of time before the end of the film and two persons are working on this right now. The website is just here to support the future film and it may have some unauthorized pics. It could be a mistake from us and we'll take the pics out.

Making a documentary is very difficult as long as it quite impossible to raise enough money to do it very well. And the matter to make interviews of any expert in the world, about any topic, is just not possible. We had only a few days of shooting for a small crew.

Anyway, read again the first post of this thread, the guy wrote :

"where can i pirate this now? "

Don't you think that ours films are stolen too on dailymotion or P2P ?

Anyway, Paul, you can reach me by supermessage and we can speak about all this quietly. Let us at least try to defend us in this trial.

Sorry for my bad english.

Well? I emailed you, you were going to get back to me, and photos you've used, without permission and payment - I've checked with the photographers - are still on the site.

Please prove you aren't a bunch of crooks, and get back to me.

i forgot he's in the contest! he always sent me the best messages. i plan to send him my sams he asked for about a year ago. one day...

there's 2 things i hate about this vid, and a few i love. i hate piracy, and i hate the rap-ass-dude talking about baggy jeans and 'real niggas'. as a moroccan i hate that they show casablanca's mass-made jeans facilities. i am ashamed of us. we make superb rugs on wooden shuttle looms but make denim in a huge factory. but we do have great indigo there if you know where to look...::o

In the years i've been doing what i'm doing i have come across a lot of randoms doing "jean documentaries" and none have come even close to the passion and complete nature behind what this French film crew have done so far.

Granted, i have yet to see the film but from my experiences with them i feel that this could be THE denim film.

There will be holes, it won't be perfect, but it's going to be a hell of a lot better than anything else done so far.

EDIT: Paul, i helped these guys with some SF based stuff and did a short interview with them and from my experience it seems that there would be no way they're going to rip anybody off by using unauthorized photographs, i'm sure they'll get back to you if they haven't already.

• 10 months later...
That dude with the dreads sort of seems like a dick... Just sayin'

Edit: That rapper is a fucking retard too.

julian is a really nice dude. rumor is he's the only chain stitcher in SF, which leads me to believe that's where self edge gets alterations done. levi's has one but they only alter levi's.

i cant vouch for the stupid rapper.

• 4 weeks later...
^ lol, you really think that?

Self Edge has their own Union Special machines, at all three stores now I believe.

that dude is definitely not the only one in SF with a chainstitch machine.

hahaha, I actually confirmed my statement with Kiya the next day.