LVC 1947 501 (deadstock)...

Jim Cissell

Do you think I should just give up on buying the (dry) 1947 501s this year? I've contacted all of the Levi's Stores a number of times, checked their site more than I'd admit, and called their 800-line so often they know my name now, and it sounds like the size I'm looking for (pre-washed 32W x 36L) just ain't gonna happen...

The guy that sounds like he knows the most about them (at the Levi's Store in SanFran) said they have yet to receive that inseam length in that waist size; and that was also the case as last year's '47 deadstock selection.

Needless to say I'm disappointed in the LVC line lately - it seems they've just about given-up on it, or something.

I don't want to order overseas due to the silly shipping fees, and it just seems frustrating I can't get such an iconic garment in MY OWN COUNTRY!

Anyway, rats!! Does anyone know of any good news about these jeans?

Jim

Jim Cissell

I agree with giantreptile. I have two pairs of 1947's: one from the US and one from Europe. The European pair is much nicer, and I was actually able to get the size that I wanted rather than having to dry clean a pair in a somewhat off size. It takes longer to wear in the European pair than the American pair, but that's because it's a better dye job.

G'reptile, I'll second what you said: spend the ca$h ansd order from Aeroleather. My '47's just arrived and I'm satisfied. I love the sweet sheen of the fabric. I'm shortly off to the laundry room for a cold wash, to shrink 'em down to my fit. I'll second what you said: spend the ca$h ansd order from Aeroleather.

I was just in So. Beach cooling out/working for a few days and I popped into the Levis shop there. They had pairs of '47's. When I got home yesterday and opened the pouch from Aero, and remembering what I saw in Florida, these are the better pair.

I don't believe the European LVC is different from the US ones; they're all made in the US, with fabric from Cone, altho some of the lines are only distributed in Europe. I'd be intrigued to know if anyone's heard any different.

From the mid 90s on, all (or most) of the Japanese LVC were made in the US too; I'd be interested to know how much of the Japanese LVC is US-made, and how much made in Japan. AFAIK both US and Japanese 501 tend to use the same denim for the same models...

Edited by Paul T on Mar 19, 2006 at 08:36 AM

Hey, Paul, I don't know, my pair from Aeroleather definitely looks darker than the pair I saw last week in the levis shop. But you are right on that both are made in the US, so how could that be. I soaked mine in the tub for a couple hours and was impressed by how very little indigo bled out. They have a nice "hand" and an attractive sheen. I'll allow that they may not look all that "vintagey", but their appeal will definitely increase as they are broken in.

You have to use a intermediary like celga. They buy the item for you then ship it to you in the states.

I'm sure they will have 34 38s in the 55 jeans (I have seen in-between waist sizes, but they're rare). The 55s are good jeans too, slightly wider in the leg & a little more antifit. I had a pair marked 34-34 which were actually 38 long, hence too long for me. Obviously I grew up with a lousy Brit diet haha

@crownzip.. That's a pretty nice result on the 47's there, as far as fading is concerned. Legs seems to have twisted like mad though. Or is it just because you didn't lay them flat properly before taking the pic?

I would have to agree the 55 is a nice model as well, I used to have a pair but they were to small.

And to stay totally ontopic: I would suggest buying from aeroleather as well.. Their pricing seems reasonable and they have a good stock.

whatever..