Apple iPad

herpsky

Guest SCSteve
is it just me aqhong is a total dick?

i await your reply.

Considering he's either just as unenthralled as most people seem and just playing devil's advocate, a legit fan of the thing, or just doesn't care, I still appreciate the fact that he's facilitating the discussion and not letting anyone get away with unfounded criticisms.

I'm resorting to pictures.

before i say anything let me clarify i'm not tryna be all like "fuck you it doesnt need flash," just pointing some things out.

video sites like hulu would probably cannibalize [edit: sorry, not the right word for this, but you know what i mean] apples itunes sales, so it makes a certain amount of sense. many sites (like cnn/google finance) that use flash will have dedicated apps that work better than the webpage would have anyway. same goes for games. bang bros... well... fair enough.

point being, i personally don't see the no-flash issue as a drawback (for what my use would be). that being said, 4.0 should include a flash optional feature in which the user can choose to enable flash, have "touch to flash" (like click to flash) or disable it. fuck, apple can put some text by the menu saying they recommend not using it because of performance issues.

but i can definitely see your point that the web without flash is not the full experience (even if you don't like flash).

My God, the fanboyism in this is link isjust amazing. Praising of a product simply because Apple made it, telling everyone criticising it that they can't say anything until they've used one (whilst not having used one themselves), spouting the Apple company line/propagada about why it doesn;t have flash, calling anyone with a dissenting opinion a jackass and praising to the rafters anyone who says they like it.

http://kitsunenoir.com/2010/01/28/apples-new-ipad/#comments

On the subject of rabid fanboyism, I work at an Apple reseller. All the sales guys are all over the iPad talking about buying it the day we get it in stock, while all the service/ technican guys are hating on it. I guess we're both fanboys: one type loving everything that Apple makes no matter what, the other hating everything for the sake of hating and obsessing over the things that are missing and should be there.

All I see is a fat-ass iphone that should have went on a diet. Nothing has impressed me so far. Seriously, why not get a laptop (specifically a netbook)? Particularly, if you're going to lug this thing around with its own case? I have to hand it to Apple though, they know this shit will sell like virgin pussy.

I don't believe the 2 situations are directly analogous though. When Apple bought out the iPod, there were other companies with MP3 players and the iPod just did what they did, but much better. With the iPad there are already other companies with tablet PCs (including a big run of multitouch ones coming out soon) where you can do much more and cheaper.

When Sony bought out the Walkman, many people thought it would fail - of course it was hugely successful, but that doesn't mean that every subsequent product will also be succesful. In fact Sony has had MANY flops since then.

Apple has released some great, innovative products, some overpriced well designed products that are essentially no different than their competitors, and also some complete flops. I think the iPad will initially get some decent sales due to fanboys but until/unless it gets a camera, multitasking and flash support (or until flash becomes less ubiqutous) it won't be the success that some are touting.

Yeah, I don't think they're analogous either. I do think, though, that initial reaction (and especially reaction from the technology press and "blogosphere") often has very little bearing on the success of a product, as you pointed out yourself.

To address the shortcomings you mentioned, though:

- Camera: People have poked around the SDK and found code referencing a front-facing camera. I'd say it's a shoo-in for the next revision. (I'm not sure a back-facing camera is necessary, though... on the iPhone, sure, but the iPad would be the most awkward picture-taking camera ever.)

- Multi-tasking: This is something techies make a big deal out of, but honestly, for the iPad's target audience, it's not essential. If Apple was going to enable multi-tasking, they would've done so long ago; after all, their own apps can do it, they just don't allow third-party ones to. I don't see it happening.

- Flash: It's funny that you mention the possibility of Flash becoming less ubiquitous... because it's already happening, and it's precisely because of iPhone OS. For the first time ever, the percentage of Flash-enabled user agents on the web has been decreasing from the 99% or so it's been at for years. Flash ubiquity reached its peak the day before the iPhone was released, and has only gone downhill since. This trend will only accelerate with the release of the iPad.

What this means is that if content providers care about this growing market at all, they're going to have to resort to non-Flash channels to deliver content. Youtube and Vimeo already have purely HTML5-based versions of their sites; everyone else will soon be forced to follow suit.

i read someones thought that flash is not enabled due to the itunes shop seeing hulu and other sites like that as direct competitors to what they are selling. Why let users go to a site to watch a show that you sell?

i guess battery life is a factor as well, but so far this is the best reason i see as to why flash is not supported.