Workwear in the news

nattomoto

I think it is somewhat laughable that it is believed that the Japanese somehow began this resurgence of workwear clothing in the 80s. If by "workwear" one means overpriced clothing aimed at a class of people who have disposable income, then it is true, but real workwear has never gone out of "style" for those who have used it for its intended purposes. My father has worn dickies chambrays and Levis to work ever since I can remember and I think a lot of other folks have been sporting work boots and plaid shirts as well. The japanese lead the rebirth of selvedge denim and "high quality" workwear in a strictly fashion consumerist sense, but not many who buy the high end workwear actually use it for its intended purpose (myself included).

It is interesting how the article attempts to find a correlation between the "emergence" of workwear in the late part of the decade with the downturn in the economy. Especially since at this moment people should be pinching pennies, instead we are running up credit on over-priced chambray shirts and special limited edition collab jeans and denim peacoats.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this in the mail last night....a little disappointing to be honest. A good third of the book is spent on duffle jackets and Barbour. Some interesting stuff, but I expected more.

If it's half as good as the first Workwear book that World Mook published it should be another great resource for vintage work wear.

WORKBOOK2.jpg