Vintage Denim?

johnmc

Levi's from probably around 66's ? I got these from ebay couple moths ago.

color is very hard to capture.

Roping and train tracks on those jeans is flat out amazing! And I love the "I'm not afraid of the washing machine" fades. Lovely pair!

These predate this thread, so it's worth having them here I hope.

Similar shape, bet the waist band has stretched out on these.

front-1.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Look how different the pocket shape is in the 60s - much less tapered, with more or less parallel stitching on the edges. These have very different bar tacks from the late rpair, too.

2horsepatch.jpg

Thinking about bidding on these 502's on the bay which are exactly my size however there is something about them thats screaming fake! and the seller has a lot of repro stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380304402394&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2523wt_1141

There are a few differences to paul's, patch is different (no made in usa), 502-0117 printing looks very modern, rear of top button isnt stamped, bartacks different...

Can someone please give a second opinion? If they are legit then all i can asume is that they are very early 70's?

On balance they look likely to be legit to me - tho these were reproduced by Levi'\s Japan, so ideally you should ask for photos of the internal tags. I've not seen the Japanese ones in question so I can't recognise any potential warning signs, especially from those lousy photos. I'm slightly worried by the look of the denim, and the lack of wear on the red tag.

Extra shot of the internals of an original pair:

buttonrear.jpg

Of course the claim these might date to the late 40s is BS, the 502 was the new name for the 501Z, I would guess these are fairly late Big E, later than my old pair. The bar tacks on my pair are something of an aberration

• 3 weeks later...

They do look pretty like the 201 fabric, a bit more slubby than the contemporary 501. If they're dated like Levi's I'd guess they're late 20s, with those lovely flat rivets.

Interesting yoke construction, too, all over the place - look how assymetrical the top sections are, with that extreme 'stagger'. As were Levi's over 25-35, for some reason. I wonder if there was some hardware switchover during this period.

Sorry for overlap bluegoldblues, was getting around to posting these pics that I shot while lusting over G1 jackets yesterday...

P1090992.jpg

P1090993.jpg

P1090994.jpg

P1090995.jpg

P1090996.jpg

For sale, from David at Ragtop Vintage

I just bought a Levi'[s type III jacket. I has a big E tab, but the buttons are marked 524 on the back. From what I have read, 501s that are big E shouldn't have 3 digit numbers on the back of the buttons. Is this true for jackets as well? I can post pictures if necessary. Luckily, I didn't pay much for the jacket and it is quite nice even if it is fake, but I am hoping it isn't.

I just bought a Levi'[s type III jacket. I has a big E tab, but the buttons are marked 524 on the back. From what I have read, 501s that are big E shouldn't have 3 digit numbers on the back of the buttons. Is this true for jackets as well? I can post pictures if necessary. Luckily, I didn't pay much for the jacket and it is quite nice even if it is fake, but I am hoping it isn't.
my big e type III has the same thing... most likely an early 70s model.

The one I've got has these same numbers also. It's early 70's, you can tell by the denim.

Thanks for all the helpful posts about the type III jacket.

Mine has orange bar tacks under the pocket flaps. It does have black around the button holes though. I will post some pictures in the next few days when I can shoot in natural light. Unfortunately, the tag is missing, but the size of the tag stitching corresponds to the late 60s, early 70s tags.

Quite interesting that the stitching is orange, this normally means early 60's- 557 with large patch and the buttons having a 'O' or 'D' stamped on the back.

Yours must be mid/late 60's with 3 digit stamp..great find the yellow stitching makes it worth much more than a bog standard big e jacket like my ones!

check this out

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/1374016103/1960s-blanket-lined-type-iii-559-xx-levis-jacket

Thanks bluegoldblues.

The jacket is also very short, only 21" from the collar seam to the bottom. I'm pretty tall, so it looks a little short. I definitely have to wear it with jeans that have a good back rise.

Too bad there is no label. That would probably make the dating a lot easier. The label shape is definitely the more rectangular one that most sources I have seen indicate was adopted in the late 60s.

This has nothing to do with any plot line in this thread recently but I'm watching 'The Misfits' right now and well, Marilyn sure fills out a pair of Levis' the way they should be. Hot damn!

Some nice Stormrider action goin' on too but nothing better than Miss Monroe in those blue jeans.

This has nothing to do with any plot line in this thread recently but I'm watching 'The Misfits' right now and well, Marilyn sure fills out a pair of Levis' the way they should be. Hot damn!

Some nice Stormrider action goin' on too but nothing better than Miss Monroe in those blue jeans.

Just did an article on vintage women's Levi's 701 check this out..

http://bluegoldblues.com/post/3090883663/a-look-at-levis-701-xx-womans-jeans

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...