Vintage Denim?

johnmc

26 minutes ago, Facini said:

Thanks @Dr_Heech for giving me a reference. From what I'm seeing, the market has really become sort of a bubble - I can't even find Type IIIs without the price being way too high and in poor condition. I can't help but laugh at that 4400 $ price. Would ebay be the best place for me to sell it?

If anybody here has any interest, feel free to shoot me a PM. If anyone is wondering, the chest is about 60 cm P2P

Well l sold the last ones on ebay so yeah, plus you need the global customer base if your in for a chance. 

@Facini Thanks for sharing that jacket, so cool to see you wore it since deadstock! That washing process is also nice to see, I always enjoy washing something that old and see how it comes out. Let alone something deadstock. 

Value wise it’s a little bit difficult to tell I think. I collect and sell sometimes as well and the stuff I sold went for reasonable prices. Nothing high like some eBay sellers are asking. I also don’t think eBay is the best place to sell (though I don’t have any experience there so please correct me if I’m wrong). A network of fellow collectors or denim enthusiasts would feel better I think. Maybe via social media if you have the followers ofcourse. You have a good size though, slightly large but that’s better than too small. If I would give an indication I think anywhere between 300-600 is reasonable based on what I experienced. But, it really all depends on what someone wants to give.

Thanks for all your input! The 557 will now get some new and well deserved love. Thanks a lot @mstax.

Another jacket that i am considering parting with is this rather immaculate 70505-0317 Big E. No wear, tear og repair. Near perfect stitch integrity. 

524 buttons, black bartacks under that flaps. Likely a late 60s/early 70s. As good as new. 

Measures 59 cm p2p, 56,5 cm back w/o collar. 

Any ideas regarding worth in todays market?

Will post more photos tomorrow for preservation and documentation. 

2022-10-17 10.24.12.jpg

2022-10-17 10.24.09.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone identify this jacket? A friend was going through their grandpas old stuff and found it. Lived in SF. Her grandma says it's from the 20s but I doubt that. I'm just not an authority on truly vintage wares. The way the pockets are attached almost looks like some fast-fashion brand.

image000000.JPG

image000002.JPG

image000003.JPG

image000001.JPG

Edited by rockon99

4 hours ago, rockon99 said:

Can anyone identify this jacket? A friend was going through their grandpas old stuff and found it. Lived in SF. Her grandma says it's from the 20s but I doubt that. I'm just not an authority on truly vintage wares. The way the pockets are attached almost looks like some fast-fashion brand.

image000000.JPG

image000002.JPG

image000003.JPG

image000001.JPG

What a great find. So much character. The owner must have been quite the sight because those are some serious tan lines. Beautiful. 

• 4 weeks later...

Snagged this curious pair of vintage 501s on Tradera (Swedish eBay) for $7. I wonder if those are selvedge train tracks?
The centered jacron patch is throwing me off, I know they are a feature of 80's Levi's but never saw them on redlines. The copper top button also make me skeptical, fakes perhaps?
Probably wishful thinking but they were so cheap however so worth the risk. We will see when they arrive.

Edit: Bartack and obvious zipper fades on the fly indicate 505s, even though they were labeled as 501s. That would explain the copper top button too. Fingers crossed I’m correct about the selvedge train tracks. 

105471551_Skrmavbild2022-12-12kl_22_08_47.thumb.png.1309317a57758c3856b34504b625a8fe.png1905702764_Skrmavbild2022-12-12kl_22_08_10.thumb.png.75dcf62b01610cb6210e47e1cd0c6425.png

Edited by NilsLW

@NilsLW Belt loops put the date at around pre-1978 (the bartack stitching is wider than the width of the loop), and judging by the coin pocket design, it may not necessarily be a 505 either. I'm sure 505 coin pockets are similar to the 501's type but think they changed that in the 80's maybe?

Like you said, no real risk.

• 5 weeks later...

Often we can read, that some jeans are made of "pure indigo" and then assume, it's natural indigo.
I think, I got confused a few times and also read about different opinions, whether one model or one maker uses natural indigo or not.

This blog has an interesting post on this issue, explaining that pure indigo is still artificial indigo. And that that would also be historically correct for most models after 1915.

On the blog you can read a lot of details of the WH WWII models.
He also likes to lighten some matches on his jeans- as that apparently was often done in the past- to get similar fades.

https://channeltrutto-com.translate.goog/denim-9/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Flash said:

:D that is awesome 

Thanks mate, yeah l think so. Many more obvious and celebrated (and rare) mistakes were made during wartime 501 production but these are relatively modern in comparison.

You wait tho, one day lvc will probably repro these in a limited run and for a high ticket price.

Berberjin's Instagram has been on fire all this week (it's their 25th anniversary) , showcasing some of the most impressive collection of denim pieces for upcoming sale that l've ever seen, and one particular item l haven't (as yet) until now.

At first glance it looks like the 1931 Lee Cowboy jacket, the one with the white neck tag and the buckleback. This jacket has the white neck tag, with the 101-J clearly stamped on it, but if you turn it around it has no buckle/strap. Not only does it not have a buckle/strap, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of any rivets ever holding one in place. On further inspection it has the wartime 'ufo' style rivets which leads me to believe this has to be a rare transitional model, which must've been made around 1942.

20230222_054451.jpg

20230222_054534.jpg

20230222_054623.jpg

20230222_054511.jpg

20230222_054558.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech
To clarify

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting three months for my latest purchase to ship all the way from Oklahoma to me in Sweden, so pretty excited to show it.
Finally found a pair of deep dark indigo vintage Levi's in my size, and this pair in particular are a pair of early 80s non-selvedge shrink to fits.
They have several funny quirks as these transitional redlines often do, but notable is probably the funny placement of the back pockets. The stitching overall feels quite sloppy compared to more common 90s pairs but the fabric still has that super hairy, thick and soft feel. Someone must've washed and dried these really hot back in the day because the tagged 33x38 has shrunk down to my 30x33. The natural color and details of the fabric was quite hard to capture with my phone so hope these photos will do!

IMG_3214.thumb.jpeg.dc139835da9030d9713b7c87ed6c048c.jpegIMG_3216.thumb.jpeg.70f570990f5417338e0375288ceb0524.jpegIMG_3215.thumb.jpeg.8050bba8bc4930eb84de4a276aaae863.jpegIMG_3211.thumb.jpeg.ed0b2abc7fb134e9eceef5569afa7677.jpeg