i just applied for a job at the gap

alexryb

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i worked at zara for about a year and while some of the politics there are completely retarded, as soon as you're hired you're given a full suit, shoes, tie, belt, and two shirts. The suit is sent out to the tailor, and you any time there's a uniform change you get upgraded free of charge. Their discount wasn't great (15%), but for a cheap whatever suit, that wasn't bad. At least in Toronto, they throw some excellent staff parties too (but usually at douchey clubs). Lots of good looking girls to work with and obviously more as customers. I was the only straight guy in women's wear and somehow had a lot of shifts watching over fitting room. Fuuuuun.

I don't understand people who hate retail jobs, they're really not hard.

Pay for me when i worked at gap was $8.50. I worked at Oakley which starting pay was $9.75

oakley great mall or santana row?

i've yet to have a mall job. i worked at borders i think that's about as "mall-retail" as it gets for me, but i've been working in boutiques for the past two years or something. totally love it.

i worked at borders i think that's about as "mall-retail" as it gets for me, but i've been working in boutiques for the past two years or something. totally love it.

yeah, i'm at that "i've only worked in grocery stores" retail level, so i figure i need to make the jump into clothing from something low-end like gap/similar mall-jobs.

oakley great mall or santana row?

i've yet to have a mall job. i worked at borders i think that's about as "mall-retail" as it gets for me, but i've been working in boutiques for the past two years or something. totally love it.

The one at the great mall. The santana row store is cool, but its boring. Its fun working there when the manager isn't there. Actually the great mall one sucks too, pretty much everyone who goes in there ask if i can give them a discount on whatever they're buying. I wish i worked / work at a boutique type of store.

I used to work at Hollister. Disclaimer:

1. I hate Hollister.

2. I never wore their clothes, nor did I use their discount.

Easy job. It gets boring though and is quite tedious having to fold everything perfectly. Lots and lots of hot stuck up high school girls-- which was good for me because thats usually who I go after. To be honest I only worked there for the constant girl traffic. I ate dinner in the mall food court with a different girl almost every shift.

After a few months I just stopped coming to work because it got tiring. The secret shoppers were a pain, the managers lurk over you every second of the day, the pay was horrible, and the hours blew.

Just my experience with retail...Good luck with the Gap job a2b489

yeah, i'm at that "i've only worked in grocery stores" retail level, so i figure i need to make the jump into clothing from something low-end like gap/similar mall-jobs.

this is a good idea. i mean, as long as you have some sort of background in fashion retail. i didn't have that, so no store ever wanted to hire me. i just got lucky getting hired at Y-3.

How was that? Im thinking about applying.

borders was okay, i worked in the cafe which was reaaaallly chill. i guarantee if you work there you're going to buy a bunch of shit you'll hardly have time to read.

before Y-3, i was working as a keyholder for a chocolate boutique on the same "high-end" shopping strip, no fashion retail experience whatsoever. i tried applying to nordstrom hella times, diesel, etc. no one took me. so i'm going to say yes. it pretty much sucks. well it sucked for me. i say work your way up somewhere even if it's the gap or some mall shop. show that you're committed by not quitting after 3 months.

I used to work at Hollister. Disclaimer:

1. I hate Hollister.

2. I never wore their clothes, nor did I use their discount.

Easy job. It gets boring though and is quite tedious having to fold everything perfectly. Lots and lots of hot stuck up high school girls-- which was good for me because thats usually who I go after. To be honest I only worked there for the constant girl traffic. I ate dinner in the mall food court with a different girl almost every shift.

After a few months I just stopped coming to work because it got tiring. The secret shoppers were a pain, the managers lurk over you every second of the day, the pay was horrible, and the hours blew.

Just my experience with retail...Good luck with the Gap job a2b489

whats a secret shopper?

experiences when applying online for a job? do you still call back after 3-4 days?

Yeah, if you really want the job, call and ask about the status of your application. And keep calling if they say they haven't checked it.

lol, i used to work at gap, my manager was a bitch, god i hated her, i still do

Lol, has anyone had positive relationships with their bosses? I've never heard of such a thing when it comes to retail or labor-related jobs.

worked at Uniqlo before that closed all the branches in NJ, shizz wasnt bad wish i bought more of their stuff, but back then the stuff wasnt as good as it is now. was a character building experience when each employee has their own story. the manager i knew still work today at the flagship... honestly didnt mind folding all the clothes, found it almost relaxing and brainless, found neatly folded clothing as soothing to the eyes. anyways would do it again. got paid real well too

Lol, has anyone had positive relationships with their bosses? I've never heard of such a thing when it comes to retail or labor-related jobs.

Yo i had a pretty positive relationship with my boss. She alway hooked me up with strikeforce tickets for cheeeap!

:< why does a person's job need to be sufu-approved?

stoops

ive worked at daycares and schools (my fav <3), Target (shit job where they rate your speed as a cashier, even if you have a super slow/retarded customer... made me pick up HELLA shifts i didn't ask for either), and now a private tutor and part time at a friend's cafe (undertable pay + extra wage lol)

gotta save up for NY :(

Guest Snackman

My boy works at gap, says its ok

I used to be an assistant manager at Quiksilver in Soho. Easiest job I ever had. I used to smoke in the huddles and just chill. Stole so much shit over the course of 8 months. I wanna work at NSW though but no seasonal, seasons wack

Yeah, if you really want the job, call and ask about the status of your application. And keep calling if they say they haven't checked it.

don't do that because you'll just be annoying; i went out of my way to not hire annoying people. (i used to be the hiring manager at a banana republic a few years ago.)

I actually tried to apply for chris' old job at the Gap. Apparently you have to be 18 to work there.

I've tried multiple times to get a job elsewhere, but no one wants unexperienced underaged high school students anymore.

edit: 1000th post, holla~

Tutors make a lot of money. If you're an upperclassman and good at math or science, try to find other students to tutor.

You could probably charge them 20-40 an hour.

I've tried multiple times to get a job elsewhere, but no one wants unexperienced underaged high school students anymore.

i tried to avoid minors too. you guys can't work past 10 on weeknights and you can't work more than 20 hrs a week (at least in california) and the ones that i did hire, the majority of you quit within two or three weeks

i just discovered this thread so let me try to answer a few of the previous questions:

it's true, if you're not a complete reject you will score at your retail job. that is the single biggest upside to that type of job -- the girls

most retail managers are tools. it's easily the thing i hated most about my job -- dealing with my fellow managers, who were mostly gossipy mouth-breathers

if you're new to retail, find out who your scheduling manager is and befriend him/her. do not antagonize this person because you will find yourself closing every friday/saturday night. at least that's what i did to associates who annoyed me

this is a good idea. i mean, as long as you have some sort of background in fashion retail. i didn't have that, so no store ever wanted to hire me. i just got lucky getting hired at Y-3.

You work at the Y-3 store in santana row, maybe? If so, I was in there a couple weeks ago, talked about jeans for a minute.