Selvedge denim IS more durable?

Becks23

They tend to be, but not always the case. There have been a few decent threads on this, but I can't quite remember the titles of them. I think a search might be able to yield better answers than I can give.

thanks... I was wondering because seems like a lot of peeps are ripping their nudies in the same spot (which has happened to me to two of my fav. pairs of jeans recently).

so i was just curious if it was better to increase my budget from something like a straight sven dry to a straight sven selvedge.

i've been searching but i'm not really sure what to search other then "selvedge & durability"

I just got a pair of the SSDS and they are awesome. I can't even explain how pleased I am with these jeans. I think the denim look is far beyond the RRDS. The denim is just as heavy, but very slubby (ie streaky). The fit is more like the lvc 47, but with less saggy ass and a slightly lower rise, but a nice straight leg.

ssdsnewfront5nz.jpg

They are the SSDS. Not LE. I was completely blown away by the denim. From pictures of the LE these look just like them, but without the large pricetag on them. These were $264 from the Denim Bar in Arlington. I suggest anyone who is looking for premium denim by mail order you should go through the Denim Bar. He doesn't charge shipping.

Quote:

They are the SSDS. Not LE. I was completely blown away by the denim. From pictures of the LE these look just like them, but without the large pricetag on them. These were $264 from the Denim Bar in Arlington. I suggest anyone who is looking for premium denim by mail order you should go through the Denim Bar. He doesn't charge shipping.

--- Original message by rnrswitch on Mar 5, 2006 11:12 PM

Looks like they're using the Italian selvage but not manufacturing them in Sweden like they did for the SSLE. Is the denim a little soft and pliable?

Also, does the pocket have the "Made in Sweden" stamp in red?

The pair of SSDS I received last week from Zoovillage look exactly the same. They have that strange color - a bit like the LE. It says 'made in Italy' on the pocket (in black). I presume that's standard?

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Mar 6, 2006 at 05:32 AM

All ring ring fabric tends to be more durable than OE fabric. All selvage is ring ring. That means that selvage tends to be stronger than average jeans, which might be ring/oe... but there's no reason why the presence of selvage on denim makes it stronger than similar spec ring ring denim which isn't selvage. Bear in mind that finishing makes a huge difference to the durability.

Hope I've explained with clarity, I'm sure I haven't...

There's currently two Straight Sven Dry Selvages. The one posted here, which uses the lightweight effected denim (same as on the LE 'Svenska', which almost feels as soft as the Bootcut Ola), and the one who uses the standard RRDS denim.

Quote:

I believe that the SSDS only comes in one type of denim, and they changed from the regular to the limited looking denim. It's new for this spring.

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Mar 6, 2006 07:31 AM

Hmm.. I really doubt they'll discontinue the regular one. I actually tried on both just the other day and I really didn't feel the limited look. Call me boring, but hey.

I ultimately landed on the Rescues though

Edited by Babar on Mar 6, 2006 at 07:43 AM

The SSDS for this season are the same as the SSLE from last year albeit Made in Italy rather than Sweden and lacking in a little flag.

Crappy for the owners of the LE (such as myself), but good because the LE are really nice and it'd be great to get another pair.

Edit: RnR, are they selvage or not? I just want to make sure so I know how much Nudie has kept the LE not so LE.

Edited by Tabris on Mar 6, 2006 at 10:09 AM

Quote:

The SSDS for this season are the same as the SSLE from last year albeit Made in Italy rather than Sweden and lacking in a little flag.

Crappy for the owners of the LE (such as myself), but good because the LE are really nice and it'd be great to get another pair.

Edit: RnR, are they selvage or not? I just want to make sure so I know how much Nudie has kept the LE not so LE.

Edited by Tabris on Mar 6, 2006 at 10:09 AM

--- Original message by Tabris on Mar 6, 2006 10:08 AM

Yeah they're selvage.

I'm almost completely confident it isn't actually a replacement of the normal SSDS though. Nudie's site even list two modelsicon_smile.gif

The SSDS that I bought are selvedge and the denim is just as heavy and durable as the RRDS that I have. Stiff as all hell. They have released another Svenska that is light weight that fos5 has but isn't selvedge. From what I have been told, there are two editions out now. The svenska pictured and the lighter weight sven made of the ola type denim. The old sven isn't suppose to be made anymore. Just from what i have been told.

There are only 1200, I know. I have 1 of them.

But, what's the point in limited edition when the same company produces something exactly the same around a year later excluding minor differences which aren't noticable (like a little Swedish flag, being made in Sweden, a book and having MADE IN SWEDEN stamped on the inside of a pocket).

Edit: Just looking at your post again. When I said the old svens, I mean the plain DS ones, not the Svenska style denim. If they're producing only Svenska style now, the old SSDS should be somewhat rarer soon.

Edited by Tabris on Mar 7, 2006 at 03:09 AM

Quote:

Now that, that is the truth. Nudie is ramping up for a mega-drive at the US market, I've heard.

Nudie = the next Sevens. (but better denim and a larger range of fits - also more expensive.)

--- Original message by LA Guy on Mar 6, 2006 06:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up, now I know not to buy anymore :P

I believe that nudie is gonna try to blitz the U.S. market with their jeans. Revolve clothing already has them. Soon fake nudies will be all over e-bay. By that time my RRDS will be out of rotation though, and I'll probably be wearing imperial or something similar.