Selvedge denim IS more durable?

Becks23

yes i was trying to find the thread where i was explaining about this topic.

it turns out that i couldn't find it so people who go an about searching, even the originator of the post couldn't find it this time!!!

Anyway as paul T was saying it is more to do with the way the yarn is treated. ring/ring denim is by far the strongest comparatively (when you compare same weight) than ring/oe or oe/oe.

This is because in ringspun yarns every fibre contributes to the strength of the fabric whereas in oe yarns many fibres are just along for the ride (so to speak). So they contribute weight but not strength, up to 20% in a lot of OE yarns are not contributing to strength

Selvage are always ring/ring so i guess your statement is sort of right, if you qualify it.

Well excuse me! Excuse me...

Quote:

Now that, that is the truth. Nudie is ramping up for a mega-drive at the US market, I've heard.

Nudie = the next Sevens. (but better denim and a larger range of fits - also more expensive.)

--- Original message by LA Guy on Mar 6, 2006 06:00 PM

i duno, seven seemed to apeal to the 20-35 y/o metrosexuals who loves slim bootcuts with crraazzyyy washes. the washes that nudie offers arent that crazy, and i have a feeling like that same demographic doesnt have the patience to sit for 6 or so months with 1 pair of jeans.

chwa?

Quote:
Quote:

Now that, that is the truth. Nudie is ramping up for a mega-drive at the US market, I've heard.

Nudie = the next Sevens. (but better denim and a larger range of fits - also more expensive.)

--- Original message by LA Guy on Mar 6, 2006 06:00 PM

i duno, seven seemed to apeal to the 20-35 y/o metrosexuals who loves slim bootcuts with crraazzyyy washes. the washes that nudie offers arent that crazy, and i have a feeling like that same demographic doesnt have the patience to sit for 6 or so months with 1 pair of jeans.

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Mar 8, 2006 09:09 AM

Nudie's strength is that it isn't a one trick pony. They really cater to different demographics, with their slim dry stuff that goes head to head with Acne et al, to more democratic fits like the reg ralf & straight sven that now have lots of intricate washes too. Evidence of their success is their long staying power in Scandinavia. They can't really go out of style since they don't do any clownery like most other fashion brands.

Edited by Babar on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:30 AM

the original question in this thread seems inspired by nudie,

why is it that the non selvedge jeans that they make are soft to begin with ?

i understand that SSK has stretch and therefore will be soft, but if you compare the dry slim jim, with the APC cure [non selvedge], the nudie feels buttery soft, there is no reason for this to be the case.

i wonder if it is a marketing ploy by nudie, to convince people thatselvedge jeans age better?

teisco.gif

Quote:

the original question in this thread seems inspired by nudie,

why is it that the non selvedge jeans that they make are soft to begin with ?

i understand that SSK has stretch and therefore will be soft, but if you compare the dry slim jim, with the APC cure [non selvedge], the nudie feels buttery soft, there is no reason for this to be the case.

i wonder if it is a marketing ploy by nudie, to convince people thatselvedge jeans age better?

--- Original message by haptronic on Mar 8, 2006 11:47 AM

making bad products to promote your better products does not work in a free market, so the answer to your last question would be no.

Also, not all non-selvedge Nudies are soft, the greycasts are very stiff. Perhaps they figured that the clientel buying the SJ is different from the one buying DS and therefore thought softer denim would be better, or maybe it's a coincidence?

dontcaretoomuchforcrap CANT SKATE!!

Quote:
Quote: i disagree. anybody who reads honest forum knows that nudies are blowing up fucking ridiculously in the states.

so true, guys switching from diesel/sevens/true religion.

--- Original message by haptronic on Mar 8, 2006 11:24 AM

Are they switching to the dry or the pre-washed stuff? I don't think I've ever seen another person wearing dry anything.

Edited by jiomitori on Mar 8, 2006 at 12:15 PM

I'm really confused now. Sorry to go offtopic, but I need to know this to feel happy with my svens again.

In my view this happened; Nudie promoted a new fit, the straight sven, and celebrated this with a 1200 limited edition, with italian streaky selvage denim, sewn together in sweden.

Somewhat later, the straight sven dry selvage came out, this time with the regular japanese selvage denim which was also used for the rrds.

So what happened with the new spring collection ?

They used the streaky denim for the regular(non limited) straight sven dry selvage ? But what about the "ola denim-sven" I hear about now? Is there also a non selvage sven dry ?

Lol.. how limited are my svenskas? its cool that the sweet slubby denim becomes available for people that missed the limited, but to be honest its a really lame move to promote a LE version and barely a year later produce basicly the same thing without a made in sweden stamp for a lower price.

--edit--

Tabris, i now see what you mean. Now the regular ssds is replaced with the slubby one, the japanesedenim ss is actually more exclusive.

Edited by Tob on Mar 8, 2006 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Are they switching to the dry or the pre-washed stuff?

there is momentum gathering for the dry nudies [flare glenn, RR, and bootcut ola]

Quote: making bad products to promote your better products does not work in a free market, so the answer to your last question would be no.

totally agree on this, i was thinking more in terms of nudie treating their non-selvedge as a diffusion line.

APC are honestly the best example of not doing this, there is no difference in quality or price between selvedge, and non selvedge.

i also have to say that the new SS, that is very similar to the SSLE must give pause for the notion the nudie have unusual marketing ideas.

teisco.gif

im glad that the slubby denim is now common on the RRSS

its alot more unique, and gives something different for dry denim. I do feel kind of bad for those who bought the LE, but really in the end, its not about the hype or exlcusiveness as much as it is about kickass denim

i mean as mainstream as nudie is getting, its not like even 1% of people u meet are u gonna know ur wearing Nudie SS LE

Quote: --edit--

Tabris, i now see what you mean. Now the regular ssds is replaced with the slubby one, the japanesedenim ss is actually more exclusive.

Edited by Tob on Mar 8, 2006 at 12:45 PM

--- Original message by Tob on Mar 8, 2006 12:42 PM

Yup. Hopefully I can get a pair of the original Japanese denim SSDS before they all disappear. I've wanted a pair since I first saw the SS fit (but I got the LE on an off chance of someone offering them in my size for cheap (around $150)).

Edited by Tabris on Mar 8, 2006 at 05:09 PM

A couple things.

1) Tob, get over yourself. This happens to others all the time. Yours ARE the limited edition and others aren't, and that my very well be the only difference. Don't worry about being cooler than everyone else.

2) Indigo is not slubby, denim is. From what I've seen, the Japanese denim for SSDS and RRDS is slubbier than the limited edition. There is just something different in the dying process with the LE jeans (and new LE-like jeans) that causes more color striations. I think the LE and LE-like jeans may be woven with a crosshatch pattern, but I'm not positive, I didn't look that closely.

3) The Nudie Bootcut Ola, Slim Jim, etc. are less stiff because they are just starched less, and use a different kind of cotton and weave than the selvage jeans. Throw them in some liquid starch and they'll be hella stiff, just like the RRDS. The stretch poly fabric in SSK jeans is not enough to make them as soft as they are (comparitively, to RRDS, etc.), it's just because they aren't starched as much. My Julian Red Californias were the same way when I got them, soft and not very stiff, even though they are 14.5 oz fabric.

As for Nudie blowing up in America, I really truly think it's just a matter of time. There is no reason that the American market wouldn't go head over heals for it. The RR cut is truly an amazing cut, and when they show up at Nordstrom, they're gonna fly off the shelves.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Mar 8, 2006 at 05:42 PM

Quote:

1) Tob, get over yourself. This happens to others all the time. Yours ARE the limited edition and others aren't, and that my very well be the only difference. Don't worry about being cooler than everyone else.

He has a legitimate concern IMO -- the limited edition Svens were advertised as being limited and carried a premium price to go along with it. If he (or anyone else) paid that premium because they thought they wouldn't be offered at a later time in a standard edition, that's a pretty shitty thing to do on Nudie's part.

Quote:
Quote:

He has a legitimate concern IMO -- the limited edition Svens were advertised as being limited and carried a premium price to go along with it. If he (or anyone else) paid that premium because they thought they wouldn't be offered at a later time in a standard edition, that's a pretty shitty thing to do on Nudie's part.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 8, 2006 05:43 PM

Shitty perhaps, but seriously, this kind of thing happens all the time. Nudie probably saw the limited edition idea as more of a trial run. If people like the style, make it a real deal. Nudie is much more concerned with running a business and being successful than letting a few of their customers feel special in their jeans.

As far as the dying style, I've seen that on plenty of jeans, including some great looking Lee X-lines (which were priced fairly at around $120). It's definitely not exclusive to Nudie.

Heh, I know the x line, it looks cool and exclusive, the same thing with the LE. I don't really care for the swedish flag or the magical word limited on the tag, its more that I felt those jeans were special and hard to come by, which made me extra happy i got them in the first place. + they looked really nice. Its definately not the same as the dry denim you usualy see on the streets. Its just that they are now more commonly available, maybe i cant explain it to you, its like i have been fooled into thinking the streaky denim was special.

Imagine the supreme blazer now coming out as a standard nike sb shoe without the supreme tag, sold in every skateshop around the world. Im sure nike would get plenty of shit over them for doing something like that

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by minya on Mar 8, 2006 05:43 PM

Shitty perhaps, but seriously, this kind of thing happens all the time. Nudie probably saw the limited edition idea as more of a trial run. If people like the style, make it a real deal. Nudie is much more concerned with running a business and being successful than letting a few of their customers feel special in their jeans.

As far as the dying style, I've seen that on plenty of jeans, including some great looking Lee X-lines (which were priced fairly at around $120). It's definitely not exclusive to Nudie.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 8, 2006 05:49 PM

"Nudie is much more concerned with running a business and being successful than letting a few of their customers feel special in their jeans."

This is besides the point. Customers got screwed, Nudie wants to make money, so? This does not in any way affect the way make the mistreated customer feel better. Actually, every company wants to make their cutsomers feel as good as possible.

This is a bad business move because it means that the next time they do a limited edition people will just say "Wait a couple of months and the same product will be available for half the price, remember the SSLE?" It can also change the customers' attitude towards Nudie and make them lose sales even from people who never bought Nudie before.

You can't argue that this is okay from a business perspective.

The fact remains, Tob did not get what he paid for. This jeans are not worse in any way now, but he payed for there to only be 1200(?) pairs. You'd be upset if someone told you your 5EP's were woven in Thailand and sewn together by baby squirrels. Doesn't make the product any worse, but it isn't what you payed for.

Tob has every right to be upset because Nudie sort of broke their agreement. It is irrelevant what Nudie's intentions were.

dontcaretoomuchforcrap CANT SKATE!!

Here in The Netherlands (I guess I can speak for most of Europe), Nudie is already quite common. For example, walk into the busy Kalverstraat here in Amsterdam and you will see Nudie among brands like Levi's, Diesel, Replay and G-Star. Nudie is sold by several shops in a single street.

However, I have found that there are only a few shops that sell the dry selvage jeans. I spoke to the purchaser for the largest Nudie retailer in Amsterdam (Bendorff) and he said that Nudie is quite selective about distributing their selvage products.

Still.. common or not, I will keep wearing Nudie for as long as they make nice jeans.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

i think having a LE like definitely sucks because it's no longer limited. I think it's a great opportunity for people who wanted the LE but couldn't, but I think if people like nudie jeans, they will definitely continue buying & wearing.

if you have a LE jeans you paid more for, it's still worth it, you did get the jeans way before everyone else, and you have the uniqueness that other people didn't get.

LV murakami purses were limited then eventually flooded in the market, it's bound to happen depending on the company's approach.

it does feel very painful though, it's like if something was once $500 and then the company decided to cater to the $250 consumer market... but I think if nudie wants to get bigger, offering what is limited may just be the strategic move.