Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

i like komplete, but i bought it after having plain old live for like a year. my friend bought live with komplete and basically only uses presets (not trying to sound snobby, but it's not worth the cash unless you're going to go in depth in tweaking within the plugins). maybe start slow?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.kvraudio.com/db/soneq_by_sonimus

if you don't have this EQ plugin by now, download it right now. it's one of the best three band eqs i've ever used, sounds absolutely amazing. the drive feature alone is incredible, gels sounds together very nicely especially when being used on a drum buss. there is also a "woow" feature which idk what it does, but it seems to subtly affect the dynamics to make them more "thudding". i use this eq on basically every channel.

oh, and it's FREE.

also, even if it's unfinished, please post up your gucci remixes so we can pick another acapella. i think we should be a bit more organized with this one as well.

• 2 weeks later...

hello thread, I have returned from my vacation and have a trak to share wit u!! this is the first of what will be many 1hr time trial beats from me. I'll post every one i do in this thread, and if you guys seem to respond well or have some good constructive criticism I'll likely go back and expand on ideas. otherwise, just take these for what they are, I always enjoy your feedback.

http://www.throwthisaway.org/4-17-11.mp3

ps - thanks to all of you that listened and commented/rep'd my Gucci remix!

edit - haploid, thanks for sharing some more muzak. I really enjoyed "Sleep With The Lights On" and "untitled-3" in particular. The latter kind of reminds me of classic ps1 rpg music, which is dope.

yo that was pretty cool a2b489, but WHAT IS THAT SECOND SAMPLE THO DAYUMM>>> you should share more of your music if you got it, I have enjoyed the experimental bent in all your trax

Ghettobob In Ableton, compressors and spectral analysis (spectrum in 8) are your friend. I use a compressor on damn near every midi/audio track i have, and will use the spectrum to visually identify where a bass drum might be leaking into the mid-range, for example. Also, Isotope Ozone is your friend. You'll probably be able to find that online somewhere without much trouble. Great little mastering VST.

Here is a trak from yesterday, please enjoy:

http://www.throwthisaway.org/4-27-11.mp3

ive been fucking with limiting the living shit out of low frequency sounds (kicks, basses)

here is what i have found:

your bass will sound trap as hell

the sound design is really awesome man! do you work with sample packs a lot or what? really interesting combinations going on.

also, the sense of space is really nice.

if i had an unlimited budget, i'd rent out gymnasiums to mic up to record samples in (playing from a huge PA). natural reverb is magical.

I dug the track, haploid. I liked the variation in the beat and I dug the low end growl that appears midway through the track. When you master, I'd definitely advise saturating the shit out of it and bringing that out.

Thanks for the comments on my track. I don't work with any one thing specifically, I've got a sample library nearing 100,000 files to choose from, and it's a huge waste of time digging through all that shit whenever inspiration strikes. So at the beginning of the year i took somewhat of a break from making beats and focused purely on sound design and macros so that I could more efficiently cobble together a nice soundscape on the fly without digging through folder after folder for the right sound. So I've got like 50 drum kits I pieced together using everything from 808 samples to my own drumming recordings to phone recordings of me tapping on a desk or slamming a door, and a bunch of macro'd filter chains for eq/compression/reverb/delay... all that good stuff.

It's been really liberating for me to actually be able to sit down when I'm feeling creative and be able to bang shit out right away, rather than having to spend the majority of my time finding the right snare for a groove or whatever.

It's been really liberating for me to actually be able to sit down when I'm feeling creative and be able to bang shit out right away, rather than having to spend the majority of my time finding the right snare for a groove or whatever.

this is my problem! i have tens of thousands of kicks/snares/hats/etc it takes me forever to find the 'right one'