Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

Random question - maybe not so relevant to this thread but couldn't think if there had been like a vinyl / turntable thread. Looking to pick one up really cheaply if possible - I've slowly accumulated some records (usually as like pre-purchase bonuses for cds) so I figure I might as well get something to play them on but I'd love to pay like ~$100. Anything wrong with getting something like this that's of indeterminate origin but by all means sounds like its functional?

Not that I know of... If you aren't going to use it for anything remotely scratch-related, that should be fine. I've never been able to hear a difference when playing records on different tables per say. Maybe the amplification, but not the table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
here is stuff that I made with my friend

http://www.soundcloud.com/fuzzy_wobbles

a local dj is going to spinning out "bad things" in nyc this weekend and we are really amped on that.

bad things could benefit from a bit of swing on your drum hits, even though the beat is choppy and varies it still sounds a bit robotic, also the electric piano could use a little verb, sounds dry in the mix, nice bass though :)

bad things could benefit from a bit of swing on your drum hits, even though the beat is choppy and varies it still sounds a bit robotic, also the electric piano could use a little verb, sounds dry in the mix, nice bass though :)

thanks for the comment! :D I am trying to get in the habit of including more incidentals and layering more sounds to make the beat feel more natural.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I'm looking to setup a low-budget home studio. Any resources or tips?I create lots of things with instruments i.e. guitars, bass, harmonicas, amps, vocals, as well as digital drum kits and an MPC2000 (looking to upgrade to a midi controller). + a deck to sample records.

I create a lot of music that involves drum machines, synths, and other digital elements as well as real instruments and kits etc.

For the MPC replacement I was thinking either a Maschine or an AKAI DP32.

I've already got a Mac to use for the studio w/ Logic and Ableton Live

Any tips in the right direction would be appreciated guys, thanks.

Edit: Oh, I should add that this isn't necessarily to get the highest quality recordings possible, but to get decent recordings of my music so that I can share it with other people.

I always liked the textures you made in your tracks in the high freqs. Almost feel like cymbals to me but in a weird way.

Really enjoying it well, very high quality production. Are you signed? It's a great tune.

In an attempt to bring the small number of sufu producers together, I was thinking of maybe starting a weekly contest up -- or something along those lines.

Some ideas:

We each try our hand with a sample, "winner" chooses the next week's sample.

Someone picks a theme or genre (from the past or current) and we each try to execute a track in said style, winner chooses next theme/genre.

We all try to remix a song by using an acapella file, winner chooses next.

Or combine all three? Anyone else have any ideas? Could be some fun practice.

That's sounds pretty sick. Give me a month or so and I'd probably be down to try it. I'm pretty new to the whole production game. In the past I've been a musician, singer, and songwriter. I'm still in the process of building my studio.

Edit:

Thanks Haploid for all the help.

In the process of building my "studio" I've been looking for one or more things that can serve the following purposes.

-Act as a controller for Logic and Ableton live

-Sample vinyl (I've got an old school record player, do I need something like a Numark for this or can I use the old one?)

-Can be used to layout beats, both hiphop and other types of music. I.E. Laying down a Kanye style beat and then laying down a billie jean style beat or a rock beat.

Any recommendations? I'm considering the Maschine, novation launchpad, AKAI MPD32, and an AKAI MPC.

Oh, and I've tried out various monitors. What I'm considering as an alternative are a pair of headphones from JH Audio. I was thinking the JH5 Pro might make a good choice. I'd get some dope headphones as well as studio monitors. Any thoughts? For more info check it out as http://www.jhaudio.com

Yeah I'm Live 7 here lol. We could bounce to audio and drop all of the stems? Except I use a lot of bussing and parallel stuff so I'm not sure how that would work for me.

All sufu producers should count off so I can figure out how to arrange this, wor?

yeah i don't know if a collaborative song is something that'd work too well, I can hardly get my laptop and desktop to work harmoniously and they're connected to the same filesystem and running the same version of ableton lol.

I say you post up an acapella track for us to work with, it'd be fun to hear variations on a theme from everyone in here.

2 websites that really helped me:

http://www.logicprohelp.com

and

http://www.musictheory.net

ah thanks, I do have music history, as in reading music and such since ive played the alto sax for around 8 years, it's just looking at how music is created on programs like these with all of the different tools and options, boggles my mind.