Lofgren of Japan (Speedway)

RRLselvageDenim

• 2 weeks later...
Arrived today :) Not Lofgren, but it is from Speedway...Toy's McCoy sweat:

p3300009b.jpg

Big thanks to John for great customer service despite the difficulties they're experiencing!!!

love the sweatshirt! actually wanted to pick it upmyself in black; how did you size it? i believe its sized smaller than regular Toys sweatshirts because its meant to be worn quite short in the body

^^ Will do when it stops raining...

That's a really nice blog btw!

Must find some time to read it through.

love the sweatshirt! actually wanted to pick it upmyself in black; how did you size it? i believe its sized smaller than regular Toys sweatshirts because its meant to be worn quite short in the body

Cheers SLAB; I went +1 in size.

You're right, the neck opening is a tad smaller and the body length shorter than their other offerings I think.

• 2 months later...

^ Nice cap you have there!

Really wanting the striped work cap right now...

I think this goes here too - first in a line of footwear John is releasing later this year:

001eui.jpg

002fbo.jpg

003oma.jpg

Work boots and engineer's coming in December.

• 1 month later...

I received a shipment from Lofgren this past week. One of the items is this Engineer style salt n pepper hat.

Also, featured is the conductor style brown covert shirt from Lofgren.

Edited by rnrswitch

Some more of the Lofgren package.

The pants below are real similar to the pants I posted a few pages ago with the 14oz chambray. These pants are a very similar fabric 50/50 sugarcane/cotton but these are a true denim twill weave. I absolutely love them. They would be perfect for a desk jockey job that doesn't allow jeans. They almost resemble a thick wool to the unknowing eye. The denim is thick, hairy, and slubby.

The trouser style slash pockets and welted rear pockets definitely dress it up.

Closer pics of the hat.

028600x450.jpg

030600x450.jpg

029600x450.jpg

I also received this red covert hat. This hat hasn't been soaked like the black covert hat up above, so it looks a little stiff in comparison.

redcoverthatc.jpg

Detail shots of the pants will be coming shortly.

Edited by rnrswitch

Some folks have asked for some closeups of the trousers. Here they are. I hate to say this, but the pics don't do these pants justice.

lofgren14ozdenimtrouser.jpg

Selvage waistband and size stamping.

039600x450.jpg

038600x450.jpg

The ubiquitous union label. I am not quite sure if the workers are unionized, but having spoken with John Lofgren, I would think that if he puts guartanteed exploitation free, he means it. At least I hope so. I think I will shoot him an email.

042600x450v.jpg

Front welted coin pocket

037600x450.jpg

Rear welted pocket.

041600x450.jpg

I also forgot to mention that these are not on the speedway website, but you may have to email John to get a pair of them. I think they may be running low on sizes right now, but John did tell me that they will be making more of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the tag. Most of y'all could care less, I guess, but folks like Joseph Hill do so here it goes. Straight from John's mouth. This is from an email he sent me:

"Proper USA style unions aren't really known here, but for the most part smaller Japanese firms like we work with are notorious for taking care of their employees. It's the bigger Tokyo companies that you hear about when a worker "works himself to death." Up to now I have visited nearly every company that I deal with and toured the factories to make sure nothing suspicious is going on. Well, I never expect to find anything suspicious (it's Japan, not China), the tours are mainly for learning purposes. I've yet to visit the guy that makes my paper hangtags, and I of course haven't been to the Vibram factory where the heels of my shoes are made. And of course some thread that a company might use I don't know what is up with...Some thread I do know though 'cause I was at the factory a few weeks back. You can see some of those photos on my facebook (I had lunch with the owner of the factory too). Button factory is a great place too. I think I can safely say we know more about what is going on and who is making our clothes than any company out there. I'm lucky to live where I live, most every factory I use is within 2 hours from me."

It would seem that John cares about the working conditions of the factories where his clothes are made as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I received a pair of Lofgren LP-004 denim chino pants yesterday, pretty stoked about them!

They are drying right now after a really hot soak and wash, pics to follow.

On a side note, i never had better customer service than from John Lofgren, he simply rules.

great mich, nice bootlegger shirt. whats the jacket?

Thanks, good call on the shirt.

The jacket is a brandless vintage one i picked up once from a flea market, that's all the info i have about it i'm afraid, besides that i like how it fits.

Thanks James, they are very comfy due to the wide cut, a good break from the norm.

The denim feels a little itchy because of the sugarcane fibres i think are in it, but it doesn't feel stiff.

The Lofgren stuff is worth taking a look into, i have some shirts from him too which are amongst my favourites.

• 2 months later...