Make Something Cool Everyday

billy.

thanks man. it depends on where you want to focus i'd say.. it's fun to dabble with java and php but i wouldn't want to learn it from the start. more of a need to know basis with it for clients and random curiosity.

interactive is where i'm looking to go after school, so getting bomb at design is #1, but also learning a decent amount of code so as to know what's possible is important too i think.

flash mainly, or processing.. html5 looks promising too. if you're good with css then learning as3 would be relatively easy to pick up.

OR

learning how to make a custom cms, or use wordpress as one. that'll give you a real nice bang for your buck w/client sites.. wish i knew how to do it.

yeah I've already designed sites on indexhibit and wordpress from scratch a few times. I know my way around wordpress really well.

both the sites in my sig are wordpress from scratch. and the photographers site i just made is indexhibit so it's easy for her to continue updating.

yeah I could pull those off. It's really not all that different. Wordpress is awesome and pretty easy to use once you understand everything. The next CMS I want to try is Stacey. I might use it for my portfolio.

also hit the G key in both my blogs to view the grid, G+H to make it stick

true that. just meant less portfolio/blog like.. hooking up WP to a completely custom site, in specific divs and all that. super powerful. if you're doing that already that's huge.

like these:

http://silnt.com/v4/

http://imaginariacreative.com/

http://www.lyndseyhamiltonevents.com/

These are all Wordpress? Damn - clearly I do not understand the way that Wordpress actually functions. I just started playing around with Indexhibit and that makes a lot of sense to me. Haven't seen too many sites that really break away from the "left column nav" thing with indexhibit but I think I could figure it out pretty quickly.

if you start from scratch, you're not limited to anything. basically just what you can do with css. wordpress itself ahs no look (does that make sense?) design-wise those are great, but technically no harder than making a normal blog from scratch in my opinion. the first one for instance uses a jquery script (similar to the one i use in secret indictments) to override CSS floats normal behavior and create those grids.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

or something stupid like that, wordpress is awesome.

wordpress is really great as a basic cms. i use it for pretty much all my client web work. my only complaint about it is that i haven't really found a great commerce system to go with it. that wp-e-commerce plugin isn't really that great and is really buggy from my experience. i know it can be integrated with a rails fairly easily as well as magento, but i haven't had a chance to check either of them out.

damn mags, killin' it. that looks hand made.

DUM, you think you could school me on how to setup something simple with wordpress? basically a few divs that get updated frequently, one "post" per div. i caught the G + J after looking up your scripts too haha, really dope.

anything specific you're trying to do?

in your index.php just

<div id="whatever">

<?php the_content(); ?>

</div>

one thing that does annoy me a bit is that the images and text are not separated at all. They're both in the_content. There might be a way to do that, but i don't know it. So to get my site the way it is I put a div within my posts. It's grimy but it works fine.

the title and category, date, comments can all be separated out into their own divs if you wanted.

If you did want to do the grid thing you just give the div a width that allows for however many posts within your container div

@magnetic, looks great! sort of reminds me of david lynch's "six men getting sick" in a way.

@düm, yea!, i've found that one of the best ways to get images from a wordpress post/page is by using custom values and pulling the custom values via your template. it separates the image and text, but it also doesn't have any superfluous markup to it that almost every cms is guilty of.

for example, upload your image, but instead of placing it into your post/page, copy the file URL, create a custom value like "portfolio-item", and then paste the file URL for the image as the value. publish/update your page, and then you can call the custom value "portfolio-item" in your post/page loop within an img tag.

if this makes no sense or seems confusing, i can upload a quick tutorial or something with code snippets.

spent all day redoing my blog and making a complimentary visual dump blog

http://rawdrugraps.com/

http://rawdrugraps.com/secretindictments

I like your blog layout, just wanted to point out a possible compatibility issue with the portfolio you did for the photographer.

On a 16:9 screen 14.1" screen running firefox at max resolution I'm not able to reach all of the menu items on the left unless i full-screen the browser. A scrolling function would probably solve this issue? This might mess with the aesthetic though.

protocol, yeah Im realizing it's going to get worse as she continues to add things. collapsing all menu items to begin with would solve the issue though.

lukes, I get that but what I'm doing now just takes me typing a div tag once. it's stupid easy so I'm ok with being grimy. and for most situations just using #post img { } would probably be enough. and as far as the superfluous code, I'm using all my own divs. I find a have a lot less problems if I can just start over instead of modifying things. I'd say my index.php is pretty simple. Whereas the default wordpress one has tons of shit on it. every single item has it's own entry in the stylesheet and I just don't need that.

edit: proto I just edited the java so that is collapses all menu items in a screen >=900. that should solve the problem as far as I can see

anything specific you're trying to do?

in your index.php just

<div id="whatever">

<?php the_content(); ?>

</div>

one thing that does annoy me a bit is that the images and text are not separated at all. They're both in the_content. There might be a way to do that, but i don't know it. So to get my site the way it is I put a div within my posts. It's grimy but it works fine.

the title and category, date, comments can all be separated out into their own divs if you wanted.

If you did want to do the grid thing you just give the div a width that allows for however many posts within your container div

i gotcha. i guess i just can't wrap my head around how to have different divs each with their own separate backend entry area.

for instance, i'm working on a site for a BMW dealer. 4 divs.. featured car, facts, cars, parts... each div would have content that the client would be changing pretty often. how's that hook up?

rough, but the general idea

2d1sgfd.png