Make Something Cool Everyday

billy.

4325614003_b539f8e7c9_o.jpg

I am just a few rep points short of 100K. Whoever reps this post and puts me over the top will get one of these shirts in your size.

That's right... I am buying RAPS!!!!

(offer good to one member only, shirt will be shipped anywhere in the world. I will contact you by PM for your size)

Nice work, servo! I know this was just a quick experiment, but I'm going to assume you wouldn't mind some feedback, so I'm gonna give some ;)]

No, definitely. It's crazy appreciated - I've always just sort of cobbled things together so any suggestions on what would make it more 'standard' is great! The code suggestions, too - I'm going to try and re-design the twitter output to my own css first and then I'll come back and try applying your suggestions in terms of javascript / interaction.

http://www.aftercompletion.com

My portfolio. Mostly commercial stuff.

Good looking work - do you do your photography as well?

seems trivial, but... if you want your work on ffffound (good for exposure i think) and have an acct, just make sure that java bookmark shit works. apparently my IP had been blacklisted until tonight, which would give you an error if posted.

my uncle wants me to redo his company website, which is straight out of the mid 90s

.....pointers on where to start/look? what sources should i look at to get a decent grip on typography, web layout, etc? i seem to be getting really basic shit online when i google or really overdesigned tutorials.

i have an okay handle on what looks good vs. bad, but i want this shit to be pro cause my uncle's someone i really respect, and i want to amaze him

timeframe is until the summer, so i have plenty of time to learn. my html/css isn't bad, so i just need to get a grip on design

thanks sufu.

whats your uncle's company? start there. you want to stay familiar to users but not be a generic copy. meaning, you won't do some retro 80's tutorial/design if he owns a fish market.

the site's content will dictate form. after you figure out what you're designing for, get all of your content for the site (if you can). sketch some wireframes and how the site will actually function, then move on to how you will design it (this will make things so much easier on you). make sure you get all of the final content from your uncle so you're not redesigning an entire page after launch because he wanted to add a paragraph about _____.

personally i think you can look anywhere for good typography, not necessarily other websites. books, posters, campaigns. off the computer too.

Here's a question that maybe some of you ran into while at school - when applying for internships (especially early on) when the 'experience' field is pretty limited is it worth listing classes to give an impression of what I've been working on? Outside of my two internships I haven't worked for anyone doing design or illustration work that I can cite. Maybe collapse the "internship / experience" sections into a single group and list maybe one or two 'vital' courses?

I like that typeface servo – What is it called? Also, your images aren't loading for me (resume.png, blog.png, info.png). I only see the logo.

#h1 {

background-color:FFFFFF;

margin-left: auto;

margin-right: auto;

margin-top: 50px;

width: 1100px;

display: block;

}

1. The #h1 references a <div> tag, which by default is transparent, and is a block-level element. Therefore the following 2 rules are not necessary:

background-color:FFFFFF;

display: block;

2. Always remember to put the '#' for hex colors: background-color: #FFFFFF;

It seems like it took a lot to do relatively little - or maybe just too many classes?

CSS gets to be tedious. There are some shortcuts and abbreviations available, but you should get comfortable with the basics first.

analog - thanks again. The images aren't working for me either. I'll take a look at them in a minute!

dum - this isnt really even a 'design' so much as its just making practicing css kind of pretty. the list was vertical by default so making it horizontal was just the product of learning how more than anything. I'm just posting these as a I do them since I'm trying to do 'one experiment a day' as best I can and maybe so that other people who do web stuff can contribute / learn as well since this thread seems to be pretty 'web oriented.'

also h1 is a headings tag. i'd name the div something else to keep confusion down if you ever do end up using h1 for styling.

and if you're doing multiple pages, import your css file instead of embedding it in the html (i guess this is an obvious one).