edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Decided to take my EDC knife in a different direction. Usually carry an orange UKPK leaf blade or an orange Wharncliffe Urban... but just ordered my first traditional style slipjoint: a GEC Northfield #56 Spear Point in Ebony. WIll post pics when it arrives.

Anyone else EDC a traditional slippie instead of the more tactical/modern styles? I'm also interested in referrals to custom traditional slipjoint makers if anyone has a recommendation.

I carry a traditional along with a tac folder. Today I've got my SnG along with a Case canoe with CV steel. Nothing can outcut a slippie for most day to day chores. Nice to have the SnG in case I need to stab through a refrigerator.

You will love that GEC. That dogleg is one of the few patterns by GEC I haven't owned. They are stout, sturdy, and awesome. You get the 1085 steel? GEC's 1085 is fantastic.

I've never had a custom knife, so I can't help you there.

You get the 1085 steel? GEC's 1085 is fantastic.

Pretty sure it's 1095 steel. That'll be a big change from the S30V and VG10 I'm used to in terms of care. But I'm psyched to watch it develop a patina. Hopefully it'll come sharp out of the box (or tube, as it were). Dull new blades seem to be a common complaint with GEC stuff.

The GEC lineup is out of control. I had a snakewood #56 clip point in my cart like 3 times 'til I went for the ebony spear. The #72 mini lockback in wharncliffe blade is awesome looking. If I'd been able to find one in a scale material I wanted that might have wound up in the cart too.

Thinking about putting my Spyderco Urban Wharnie up for sale. The orange G10 is indigo stained so SF might be the only place in the world where I'll find a taker....

ah, right 1095. :duh:

it is easy to sharpen, and part of getting acquainted with your knife.

the patina that develops on non-stainless knives should resonate more with the sufu denim community - for a while there i wouldn't touch any of my stainless knives, watching a patina develop on your knife is that addictive.

w/r/t cleaning orange g-10, try dish soap; i've heard balistol works, too, but i haven't tried it.

i love orange spydies - i've got an orange military, myself.

The 1085/95 steel will lose it's edge a bit quicker, but it's easy to touch it up. 5 minutes on a stone and a quick strop will keep it nice and sharp.

Speaking of 1095 I got a Raven Concealment Systems sheath for my Izula, orange kydex. I'll write a review when I get a chance, but it's niiiiice.

[quote name=

i love orange spydies - i've got an orange military, myself.[/quote]

Yes kicking myself for not getting the Orange Manix 2 sprint run from Cutlery Shoppe. Bad frugality in effect.

I would love to have something built in orange linen micarta. A Loveless style 3" lockback with stainless bolsters and orange micarta would be great.

Sage 4 should be interesting. Supposed to be an Al Mar style front lock with bolsters + Spydie hole. I'd imagine it would have to be micarta or wood to keep with the Al Mar homage theme. Starts to sound like an ideal knife...

writing utensil question:

Anything better than this http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/45_78_456

?

Depends what you're looking for. For just a regular pencil, its pretty good. I've been using mine every day because its the only 0.5 pencil I carry and I like using .5 for math.

I feel like it doesn't really match, but it's really nice nevertheless.

5505075776_602e8e817d_b.jpg

PAM024

iPhone 4

Nitecore AA LED flash light. I really like the convienience of having AA batteries even though a lot of the CR123 lights are more powerful.

Boker Hyper

Credit card bifold wallet. I cant really stand huge wallets and i dont carry much cash, so these wallets are perfect for my needs.

Nice thick carabiner.

I bought my brother that Boker Hyper. It's quite a darn good knife for the money: great pocket clip, 440c steel, solid lockup, excellent fit and finish. I'd rate it above a Spyderco Persistence, which was the knife I would've otherwise bought for him.

spyderco paramilitary s90v / CF

or

strider smf, ranger green with striped blade and stonewashed lockside

decisions decisions

one can stab through a fridge the other is cool....anyone have any opinion on the compression lock vs a framelock the thickness of the strider?

i just sold off my SnG and kept my CF/s90v para2

i plan on getting another SnG (probably the cc version)

i've never handled an SMF, but i fear it will be too large

the SnG already felt like overkill

the para2 just pockets so much better

no odd knobby bits sticking out

and the compression lock is now my favorite lock

inspires confidence, and i think is stronger than any framelock out there (it is one of the few spydies that are MBC rated)

plus it is so fun to play with

the action on the para2 is so fast

the strider locks up with an awesome THUNK

the p2 locks up with a wolverine-esque ca-SHNICKT

the p2 is more of a precision slicer

the strider, more of a shovel/prybar

both awesome knives

but to me, the p2 may be the best production knife for the money